Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

Stillen Supercharged Roadster

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2003, 11:26 AM
ChromeRoadster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stillen Supercharged Roadster

Supercharger is now installed on the Roadster. Few more odds and ends and I will be driving it tomorrow. Dirito Brothers Nissan in Walnut Creek did the install. E-Tech Collision did the paint (no fender blending per my request, just unbelievable matching). Let me know what you think (and don't complain about the wheels - they're next).

Strange Z

Old 10-16-2003, 11:42 AM
fanatic

That hood looks AWESOME!!!!
Old 10-16-2003, 11:49 AM
ChromeRoadster

Thanks,

Some thought it would break the lines of the Roadster, but I think it made the car look better.

Strange Z
Old 10-16-2003, 01:42 PM
saizzz

Default About those wheels...

Very nice! Looking forward to your first driving report. I won't say anything about your wheels except to say if they are 18's, I'll buy them when you upgrade (local in Santa Clara).
Old 10-17-2003, 09:50 AM
Chasw1269

Please give us a driving report asap. Also, have you had it dyno'd yet?
Old 10-17-2003, 09:53 AM
MY350Z.COM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Put an Injen CAI on, it will help your S/C run more efficently.

If you want to take some precautions then get tranny and oil coolers.

Victor
Old 10-17-2003, 03:55 PM
BLOBYU

Very Nice - Tell us the numbers when you get them. Does the Roadster weigh less or more than the coupe? I know they add extra subframe connectors for rigidity - any one know?
Old 10-17-2003, 05:07 PM
bubbaZ

Looks very impressive!
I'm very interested to hear your driving impressions when you get to it. Also, how it sounds. I have a SilverStone Roadster and I've been going back and forth about adding the SuperCharger. Were you happy with the installation? I'm not far from Walnut Creek. Could I ask the costs.
Old 10-17-2003, 05:34 PM
E.F. VaBeach

Absolutely Killer! This is great - please tell us everything about how this ends up living with and performing.

After 11 years of Porsche 911 Turbos, I went for a 350Z roadster. I love it and it's great to actually have confidence that you will actually get where you want to go without the $$, constant smell of burnt oil, and crummy ergonomics.

Your machine may be the model for the next step. Keep us posted - you're out in front!!
Old 10-18-2003, 01:02 PM
jgraeb01

Nice Pictures!!

... what exactly does a SuperCharger Do ... ?

Also, I noticed you have the 'Z' emblem in the front ... how do you remove the old one and put that one? Is it just 'sticky-back' or something?

Thanks in advance! Good luck with it!!

Joe
Old 10-18-2003, 01:22 PM
ChromeRoadster

I'll try to answer all of your questions in this one reply:

Driving report: The car feels significantly faster and shifts are necessary much quicker. The car still have the very linear acceleration you are all used to. The sound is awesome. The whine of the supercharger is very clear when the engine is under load.

I have yet to dyno it (and will probably wait until I get the exhaust installed).

Who has the oil and tranny coolers?

The Roadster weighs 240lbs more than the coupe, but has higher rearend gear ratios to try make up for the weight.

Dirito Brother's Nissan in Walnut Creek did the install. Unfortunately, I don't know the exact amount for the install because I had some other work done at the same time (sway bars, oil change) and I don't have the paperwork here with me. The total was bout $1200.

So far, I am very happy. Funny you mention that about the 911's, I was considering the new Turbo Cab for my next car. The Z still needs a little more power to equal the hp/wt ration of the Porsche (by my calculations, I need 394hp). I can say without a doubt that the Roadster is a much better value than the $130,000 911 Turbo Cab.

With the supercharger, hood, install, paint and sway bars, I spent about $7K. That puts the total price of the car at about $46,000 (and climbing with new adds).

The Supercharger forces air and fuel into the cylinders. This essentially puts more air/fuel mixture into the cylinders. The more fuel you can burn, the more horsepower you can make. A supercharger works much like a turbo -- they both force air into the cylinders, but the SC runs off of a belt and the Turbo is powered by the engine's exhaust (exhaust runs over one turbine which spins another turbine pushing air into the cylinders).

The Z emblem is from Courtesy Nissan. To remove the old emblem, use strong twine and pull the twine under the emblem without touching the paint. This can be somewhat difficult, but there is an easy way to get it started (but you must be careful). If you take a flathead screwdriver and put the edge just under the inside edge of the emblem, then lift the edge by using the center of the emblem (where it says "NISSAN") as a fulcrum, you can get the twine underneath. Once you get to this point, work the twin back and forth while lifting (to stay away from the paint). Work the twine across one side, then the other and across the top. Ultimately the emblem will let go. Oh yeah, there are no bolts, just alignment tabs.

Strange Z
Old 10-18-2003, 01:23 PM
ChromeRoadster

Sorry, one last unanswered question - my current wheels are 17's, so saizzz, you won't want them.
Old 10-22-2003, 12:24 AM
3ngin33r1

Very nice installation, I would agree that a different intake will benefit your performance gains from the SC a little better.

I like the hood, I think it compliments the existing lines very well while adding a great uniqueness to the car.

I look forward to seeing some dyno information on this but I'd wait until you get the wheels and exhaust done before you do your runs.
Old 10-23-2003, 04:40 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

IMHO, you got to get some mean looking tires and wheels and that rag top!

I went a little more over the top than others buying HRE wheels with 265/35-18 fronts and 295/35-18 rears. Yes, if i had to do it over again, I would go that big. As a refernence, the new Road and Track did a comparision with a Motorex 350Z vs Stillen, and Brembo Z. The Motorex was the only one that had stock brakes (no, not the brembos) yet because of the large Toyo tires just like mine, it out braked the hugh after market Brembo's with the best (60-0) in 113 feet. In addition, it handled the best of the group meauring a laterial .94g vs .88 stock.

Look in the wheels and tire section to get an idea of wheels availible. If you need more info, just pm me...nice looking Z BTW.

Jeff
Old 10-24-2003, 12:58 AM
35oZephyR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice roadster....

You got anymore complete(set back further) pics of your roadster with that new hood??
Old 10-24-2003, 09:40 AM
ChromeRoadster

I'll try to take some this weekend.
Old 10-25-2003, 12:33 PM
jim911

Why did you leave the stock air filter system on it after installing a supercharger?
Old 10-25-2003, 01:46 PM
ChromeRoadster

The Stillen SC is warranted with the stock air box. I will consider upgrading, but for now, I will probably just get a K&N.
Old 10-25-2003, 01:50 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

IMHO, do not void your warranty for 3-4hp. Stillens are running hot at times. Something might happen down the line and if it does, you will wish you had that warranty Stillen offers.

To me, the best part of the Stillen SC is the warranty. It certainly is not max hp, if you want that, you can go ATI SC.
Old 10-25-2003, 03:05 PM
teh215

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Can you get some pics of how the blower belt is routed?

Quick Reply: Stillen Supercharged Roadster