Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

Question for those who have replaced their tops on their own

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 09:54 AM
swampotter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for those who have replaced their tops on their own

I finally found the testicular fortitude (and a break in the weather and in my work schedule) and did the unthinkable, replaced my convertible top on my own. Many thanks to ZRsaad for posting his step by step guide. I didn't stick to it step by step, but I wouldn't have attempted it without it. I used a top from Autotops.net. The top fits like a glove, it's so tight it sounds like a timpani drum.

Before
Question for those who have replaced their tops on their own-100_3180.jpgQuestion for those who have replaced their tops on their own-100_3179.jpg

After
Question for those who have replaced their tops on their own-100_3245.jpg

Okay, here's my question. The 5th Bow section is so tight that the bow won't seat properly. You can see some daylight through the weather strip.

Question for those who have replaced their tops on their own-100_3247.jpgQuestion for those who have replaced their tops on their own-100_3248.jpg

Has anyone experienced this? I thought I came across a thread about this but I can't find it.
Do I need to loosen the 5th Bow trim and try to loosen the fabric a bit?
Will it just fix itself over time?

Thanks guys.
Old 02-19-2010, 01:06 PM
karas..56

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by swampotter
I finally found the testicular fortitude (and a break in the weather and in my work schedule) and did the unthinkable, replaced my convertible top on my own. Many thanks to ZRsaad for posting his step by step guide. I didn't stick to it step by step, but I wouldn't have attempted it without it. I used a top from Autotops.net. The top fits like a glove, it's so tight it sounds like a timpani drum.

Before
Attachment 277414Attachment 277413

After
Attachment 277415

Okay, here's my question. The 5th Bow section is so tight that the bow won't seat properly. You can see some daylight through the weather strip.

Attachment 277416Attachment 277417

Has anyone experienced this? I thought I came across a thread about this but I can't find it.
Do I need to loosen the 5th Bow trim and try to loosen the fabric a bit?
Will it just fix itself over time?

Thanks guys.
this part is 5th Bow cover its staying little bit high mine also. but does the 5th Bow trim close completely ? cause mine leaves a gap along the 5th Bow trim and does not close completely..is that what you mean??
Old 02-19-2010, 01:12 PM
swampotter

Originally Posted by karas..56
this part is 5th Bow cover its staying little bit high mine also. but does the 5th Bow trim close completely ? cause mine leaves a gap along the 5th Bow trim and does not close completely..is that what you mean??
Yes, that's what I mean. The 5th bow is not sealing to the rear deck. It closed completely on my original top. It's just not closing all the way with the new top. It's open enough to allow water to get in.
Old 02-19-2010, 02:58 PM
karas..56

Originally Posted by swampotter
Yes, that's what I mean. The 5th bow is not sealing to the rear deck. It closed completely on my original top. It's just not closing all the way with the new top. It's open enough to allow water to get in.
ok.so what i did is' take of the rubber and water seal retainers not the rivets and close the top completely(also switch of the front latch header) it will stretch the cloth and the plastic area from the rivets, it will pull that place in front so it will release the top..if still you have a problem let me know..
Old 02-19-2010, 04:38 PM
swampotter

Originally Posted by karas..56
ok.so what i did is' take of the rubber and water seal retainers not the rivets and close the top completely(also switch of the front latch header) it will stretch the cloth and the plastic area from the rivets, it will pull that place in front so it will release the top..if still you have a problem let me know..
Thanks for your help. I gave it a shot, but the motor doesn't seem to be strong enough to pull the 5th bow down with enough force to stretch the material from the rivets. I'll let it sit for a few days and try again.
Old 02-19-2010, 05:01 PM
gregom

I read in a thread here recently that your supposed to leave the top in the up position for about a full week so it will stretch, and that it should slowly get better and then be a flush fit to the tonneau cover.
Old 02-19-2010, 05:19 PM
swampotter

Originally Posted by gregom
I read in a thread here recently that your supposed to leave the top in the up position for about a full week so it will stretch, and that it should slowly get better and then be a flush fit to the tonneau cover.
Thanks for the advice. I thought I read something along those lines here at one point, I just couldn't find the thread when I needed it.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:45 PM
SHILOW

I installed the stayfast cloth top and it took a few days for it to stretch. It's a good idea to allow the top close sequence to be completed before closing the latch in the front. I installed my top in May so the Texas heat helped with the stretching. This winter is unusually cold. It's snowing in Houston and I'm use to dropping the top this time of year.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:21 PM
JoEdaGiGGoLo

Let it sit. Mine took a good COUPLE OF WEEKS to go all the way down. It is touching the tonneau now.