Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

What's your longest trip in a roadster?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2003, 06:15 PM
Buff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What's your longest trip in a roadster?

Planning a little adventure in the Spring (March 04) and was wondering what anyones experience has been. My trip will cover @ 2,152 miles round trip (estimated). Figure if I start now I may be able to figure out a way to pack all my stuff & the wifes in the trunk!
Old 12-12-2003, 07:02 PM
theSmoothDome

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

About 3 miles during my test drive. Damn, I want my Z now!
Old 12-12-2003, 09:45 PM
ragtopz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

took a cruise around the island... was about 100 miles.
Old 12-12-2003, 09:53 PM
Paul_BB_Guy

Buff - I'm planning a long run this summer! My mom wants to see the Crystal Cathedral in California so I was thinking about taking three weeks vacation and driving south through Memphis and Nashville and then down to New Orleans (What *I'd* like to see) and then boot across through Houston and Phoenix and finally end up in California.

On the way back I'd go through the middle of the US, through Las Vegas and Denver eventually returning home. I figure three weeks ought to be enough time to spend a day or two in each interesting city.

Moms hasn't had a chance to do much travelling so I thought it might be nice to take her on a "trip of a lifetime" road trip.

I haven't looked into all the nitty gritty of this trip though.. It would need a lot of planning to pull it off. It's a lot of driving too because she can't drive standard.

What do you guys think? Am I nuts?
Old 12-13-2003, 04:27 AM
theSmoothDome

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ahhh, the trip of a lifetime. My wife and I do one of those drives every few years. For me they turn out to be "How fast can I get us to our destination" trips. Once made it from San Diego to Whistler, BC in 24 hours over 2 days. Would have made it a lot quicker, but a snow storm in Grants Pass in Utah closed the highway for an evening. Funny thing was that we were scheduled to make it there on the third day and ended up getting an extra day of skiing in....Oh wait, that's not funny...that's why I drive like that.

Seriously, If your mom is getting up in years, like mine is, I don't think I'd stuff her into any car for a long trip if I could fly. Even if you have more room in the Z's seats than you do on a commercial airline, take a plane to Cali and rent a Z . Of course, if Mom's still young and up for the drive, do it.
Old 12-13-2003, 05:44 AM
zmann

So far, just between Murfreesboro and the Smokies, Gatlinburgh, Knoxville. Top down all the way! That's about 400 miles round trip.
Old 12-13-2003, 10:12 AM
Paul_BB_Guy

Mom's still fairly young... 57
Old 12-13-2003, 10:31 AM
jrofman

LA to SF and back in a weekend. Something like 700-800 mi round trip.
Old 12-18-2003, 01:15 PM
john.laninga

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I picked up my Z in Miami and drove it to North Carolina (1,100 miles) in 2 days. Wife went with me, had a good drive. Tough to keep it under 4K RPM though, had to light foot it but made decent time. I actually thoght the car did very well on its maiden voyage, much smoother than my old coupe. I did manage to break it in on my first weekend with the Z...

John
Old 12-21-2003, 05:33 PM
z square

Paul BB GUY
Sounds like a great road trip. Be aware that it takes 14 hours to drive across Texas on I 10 to El Paso. LOL.

ZSQUARE
Old 12-22-2003, 04:39 PM
mwest300zx

Princeton New Jersey to the National Z Convention in Nashua, New Hampshire. For awhile I was the only 350 roadster there out of a lot of cars. Another 350z roadster showed up on the last day. The guy had just bought it in Maryland and drove it up same day. So, my drive was a about 650 miles round trip. I still drive it as often as I can as long as there is no real snow on the ground.
Old 12-23-2003, 03:41 PM
frugep

Drove from Houston to LA and back with scenic detours included. Total trip was about 3,500 miles. No passengers on the main trip. Had enough space for luggage, car cleaning materials, and purchases along the way. Got to keep it shining. Comfortable the whole trip and had a great time driving my roadster. It's good on the desert straight-aways and better in the mountains. What a way to travel.
Old 12-24-2003, 07:20 AM
Buff

Default Thanks for the Info

Originally posted by frugep
Drove from Houston to LA and back with scenic detours included. Total trip was about 3,500 miles. No passengers on the main trip. Had enough space for luggage, car cleaning materials, and purchases along the way. Got to keep it shining. Comfortable the whole trip and had a great time driving my roadster. It's good on the desert straight-aways and better in the mountains. What a way to travel.
I agree that you need to have the detail equipment on hand. . .that's why I was wondering about the space issue while traveling.
I told the wife to do some practice packing before we go - so she know's her limits