350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

Convertible top wont move at all

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 05:45 PM
dudegetalife

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Boderjoe
[center]
hi i see you had the same problem iam having at the moment my nissan 350z soft top wont go down not the window nothing do no sound at all. Can you let me know how you fix your problem with your car.. thanks

it was a sensor beside the soft top on the driver side. Some kind of switch/sensor that cost about 40/50? Dont remember what it was called got it from Nissan dealer. The techs were useless had a independant mechanic figure it out.
Old 07-05-2018, 05:50 PM
Boderjoe

Originally Posted by dudegetalife
Update:

Insurance wouldn't cover top since it was preexisting condition.

Nissan wants 8k in parts before they start work on it.

Got second opinion besides nissan saying top was installed improperly

Gonna more than likely go to court with upholstery shop.

Still dont know issue.
no just soft top material was being replaced tech said that it could be a switch it was done at an upholstery shop but he said it moved up and down and after 2 times it just didn't wanna move at all.

Its an upholstery shop so they dont do any car repair work at all and i've never had this problem at all.

Does our car have a fuse or relay for the top?
it was a sensor beside the soft top on the driver side. Some kind of switch/sensor that cost about 40/50? Dont remember what it was called got it from Nissan dealer. The techs were useless had a independant mechanic figure it out.
the sensor is located by the driver size fuse box
Old 07-05-2018, 05:51 PM
dudegetalife

Originally Posted by Boderjoe

the sensor is located by the driver size fuse box

no definitely not that one had to open up top compartment behind the driver side it's some weird sensor switch took about 20 minutes to replace watched the mechanic do it the whole time.
Old 07-05-2018, 05:56 PM
Boderjoe

Ok.. thanks i will check tomorrow.
Old 07-05-2018, 06:59 PM
Boderjoe

After having my top replaced the convertible top wont move at all is their any fuse or relays that control the tops function?

It was working before and now it just doesn't move or make a sound any help would be greatly appreciated.
hi iam having the same problem with my 350z softop wont move at all no window come down nothing do. Can u let me know how u fix your problem.. thanks
Old 07-14-2018, 06:20 AM
msk59

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So Dudegetalife. I read your struggle and confirming your last post. so this entire time, this one wierd sensor was causing the top not to go down? There was no other fault like top was installed wrong etc?
Old 07-14-2018, 05:32 PM
Boderjoe

Originally Posted by msk59
So Dudegetalife. I read your struggle and confirming your last post. so this entire time, this one wierd sensor was causing the top not to go down? There was no other fault like top was installed wrong etc?
can u tell me where is that sensor wire located.. thanks
Old 07-15-2018, 02:59 PM
msk59

Boderjoe:Not understanding your question. I think in post #22, you are answering that question.
Old 11-30-2018, 07:42 AM
Chuck Levy

Fuses all good. Can’t find box behind driver’s seat. Opened panel, but didn’t see it.
Old 11-30-2018, 07:46 AM
Chuck Levy

2004 Nissan 350z roadster top won’t operate at all
Old 12-05-2018, 06:48 AM
Heel Til I Die

Received 1,063 Likes on 751 Posts

There are a lot of conditions that have to met for the top to begin opening from full close. I would highly recommend downloading the RF section of the FSM to help you troubleshoot.

Old 12-11-2021, 07:55 AM
laneb101

Default Thank you for the answer!

I just bought my 350Z in Seattle and had it shipped to Florida. The top worked there but when I got it off the truck, it wouldn’t budge! I was freaking out but read your answer, put my foot on the brake and it worked!!
Originally Posted by SparkleCityHop
Thanks for such a helpful post.

But back to the business at hand...

Do the windows come down and does the passenger seat move when you attempt to operate the top, or does nothing at all happen?

Since it sounds like you're not a new owner - I'm already assuming that you have key in the ignition, car is stopped, foot is on brake, and you're holding down the button through the whole process.
Old 12-12-2021, 06:27 AM
msk59

You are welcome laneb101. Yes, car in neutral/park, foot on the brake with e-brake engaged, then the top opens after you unlatch at the front. The windows do go down if they are not down already. So I think you got it now. I dont drive my car that often and i built a garage for it and it sits in that heated garage most of the time. Since COVID almost two years ago, we have been working from home and not much to do. I do have a frontier that I use around town.
Old 01-26-2022, 09:22 PM
Justang99

Default Similar issue…

If your windows don't even come down, it sounds more like a fuse issue or problem with the main control unit itself. In my experience, when there is a problem with a component in the top mechanism or a sensor, everything else works as expected until it gets to the step that it needs to interact with the broken item.

Since operating the switch normally rolls down the windows first and leans the passenger seat forward, I would expect that it is either the control box for the entire system or a fuse. the control box for the system can be accessed by taking off the interior panels behind your seat. it is a plastic box that is mounted to the top of the metal and sits above the driver side cubby hole area.

I'm not sure exactly which fuse covers this mechanism, but I would check all fuses in the driver floorboard and under the hood near the battery.

I’m having a similar issue. The windows roll down, but the passengers seat no longer moves. All that happens is a click sound like a relay in the doors… I have removed and reseated the door panels recently. Is there something I might’ve not hooked back up? Every function of the door and window controls work
Old 01-27-2022, 10:12 AM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,594 Posts

Originally Posted by Justang99
I’m having a similar issue. The windows roll down, but the passengers seat no longer moves. All that happens is a click sound like a relay in the doors… I have removed and reseated the door panels recently. Is there something I might’ve not hooked back up? Every function of the door and window controls work
Check the switch on the back of passenger seat to make sure the tilt feature is enabled.
Old 01-27-2022, 04:41 PM
Justang99

Originally Posted by jhc
Check the switch on the back of passenger seat to make sure the tilt feature is enabled.
That worked! Thankyou!
The following users liked this post:
jhc (01-28-2022)
Old 05-19-2022, 05:02 PM
rtfutrell97

no just soft top material was being replaced tech said that it could be a switch it was done at an upholstery shop but he said it moved up and down and after 2 times it just didn't wanna move at all.

Its an upholstery shop so they dont do any car repair work at all and i've never had this problem at all.

Does our car have a fuse or relay for the top?
Thanks for such a helpful post.

But back to the business at hand...

Do the windows come down and does the passenger seat move when you attempt to operate the top, or does nothing at all happen?

Since it sounds like you're not a new owner - I'm already assuming that you have key in the ignition, car is stopped, foot is on brake, and you're holding down the button through the whole process.

I’m having this problem now do you know what i need to do
Old 05-20-2022, 10:01 AM
Heel Til I Die

Received 1,063 Likes on 751 Posts

What's the specific problem - windows roll down, passenger seat moves, top moves at all?
Old 08-22-2022, 10:35 AM
ZHeadaches

no definitely not that one had to open up top compartment behind the driver side it's some weird sensor switch took about 20 minutes to replace watched the mechanic do it the whole time.
I seem to be having a similar problem with my Z convertible top - any chance you can direct me to the mechanic who fixed yours.
Old 09-11-2022, 04:54 PM
rtfutrell51

Originally Posted by Heel Til I Die
What's the specific problem - windows roll down, passenger seat moves, top moves at all?
the windows won’t move at all the person that had the car changed the seats into some manual seats and kept the white box but its still not working

Quick Reply: Convertible top wont move at all