Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

Wind Noise Past 70 Mph

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2003, 09:44 PM
Loic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Wind Noise Past 70 Mph

Got my roadster 3 weeks ago and already put 1500 miles on it...
I love the car but I found it a little noisy past 70 mph.
The ragtop seems to be really tight but I still can hear lot of wind noise at freeway speed (65 to 85 mph). It does not sound like air entering the cab, but more like aerodynamic turbulence at the rear of the top.
Is it my car? Is somebody else experiencing the same type of noise?

Thanks folks,
Old 12-22-2003, 09:50 PM
ragtopz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that seems to be normal. it does tend to get a bit loud at 70. gotta talk kind of loud to the passenger at that point... unless you roll up the windows, then it isnt so bad. kind of defeats the purpose though.
Old 12-23-2003, 04:56 AM
theSmoothDome

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think he's talking about when the top is up and the windows are rolled up. I noticed the same thing during my test drive. With the top up, The Z I drove is definately noiser than my Eclipse. At one point, I thought the top didn't seat correctly on the car when I put it up. At highway speeds, the wind noise seemed to be nearly constant from the rear on driver's side. All the reports I read mentioned how quiet the car was with top up and top down so maybe this is an anomoly.
Old 12-23-2003, 07:49 AM
saizzz

I find wind noise to be minimal at 70-80 mph with the older style top. It was reported on this board that a newer version of the top with double stitching creates more wind noise. See the thread regarding holes in the top for pictures if you want to identify your top. It would be interesting to know if you have the old or new style.
Old 12-23-2003, 03:04 PM
frugep

Default wind noise past 70 mph

After my first 1500 miles, I drove my roadster on a trip to LA and back to Houston. Had top up, top down, windows up, windows down. Wrapped up to over 100mph for sustained periods of time. Sure there's wind noise, what do you expect, but it's darn sure quieter than my Harley. I enjoyed every minute of my trip and continue to do so zooming around town. If you want to listen to a concert when you drive at higher speeds, buy a Buick.
Old 12-23-2003, 09:44 PM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Tell us what ya really think, frugep! LOL!

A "Buick"? hard, man, hard!
Old 12-25-2003, 06:35 PM
zmann

I can confirm a difference in the wind noise between the earlier roadsters and those that have the double stitching. I had #88 of production for 2 months, and of course it was the original top design. I traded it a couple months ago for an automatic and I also noticed it had the restitched top. The first thing I noticed when driving this car was increased wind noise at highway speed. It had been nearly non-existent in my other car and I, too, thought something was wrong. I am actually glad to stumble across this thread because I knew there was a difference. It's not too bad all the time, mostly when the wind is really strong outside. There are times when I'm at 80 and I really don't notice it. If it is a blustery day, it is much more noticeable. I've mentioned it to my dealer, but really don't plan to make too much of an issue out of it. Everything seals up nicely. It is the way the top is made. I guess I'd rather put up with a little more noise than have my top fail. I guarantee you the ones that got written up in the reviews were the early model tops that were, indeed, quieter.
Old 12-25-2003, 09:40 PM
Loic

Originally posted by zmann
The first thing I noticed when driving this car was increased wind noise at highway speed.
It's not too bad all the time, mostly when the wind is really strong outside. There are times when I'm at 80 and I really don't notice it. If it is a blustery day, it is much more noticeable.
You’re describing exactly what I am experiencing....
My car was built in September 03, so I have the new ragtop.
Although everything looks tight and sealed it is still fairly noisy at freeway speed.
Anyway I might have to live with it…

Loic
Old 12-26-2003, 01:48 AM
ragtopz

oh, my mistake. well, i had the top replaced because of a hole. my top was before and is now rather quiet at highway speeds. there is no wind noise. however, noise from outside does get in. especially sirens. actually, everything sounds like it is coming from behind the car because of where the top meets the car body... but wind noise, no.
Old 12-26-2003, 12:18 PM
Loic

I'm confused now !
You're telling me that the new top is quiter than the old one ???

Loic
Old 12-26-2003, 12:45 PM
ragtopz

the wind noise on mine is the same. there is no difference with it when comparing my old and new top. it is still quiet. sorry if my post was confusing. i wrote that last one quite early in the morning.
Old 01-18-2004, 05:43 PM
zmann

I will add that over the last week, I've hardly noticed any wind noise even @ 80+ mph. What tends to make a difference is how windy it is outside and as a result, the amount of wind actually hitting the car. We haven't had a whole lot of wind, and my car has been quiet up to 90 and 95! Figures, just as I think something is up, it shows itself in a completely opposite way. Maybe there is no real difference...maybe it's just because of all the blustery fall and winter days we've had...I dunno...not going to worry about it any more.