Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

anyone else regret getting a ZR?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 03:54 AM
SHILOW

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bill_350Zzzz
I always wanted a convertible and after window shopping for 2 years I settled on the ZR.
I live outside of Philadelphia PA so I get plenty of top down time come spring etc. It is strictly my toy car which I drive on weekends mostly. That being said, I absolutely love the car for lots of reasons. You don't see that many on the road, and even though mine is an 06, it still turns heads. Finally, it's a great escape when I want to just disappear for a few hours. It's a great car.
Well said. This is why most of us buy the roadster. IMHO the 350ZR is the best in it's class.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:14 PM
vert-z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I LOVE MY Z- VERY MUCH... here is how she sits as of today
Name:  newwheels.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  89.1 KB
Old 11-29-2012, 07:48 PM
DasDoktor

Got my 2005 ZR this summer and am loving it. From what I've seen adding a small spoiler to the trunk lid is one of the better choices for improving the look, especially with the top down.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:50 PM
GunslingerG34

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I personally wouldn't take any TWO coupes for my ZR!!! I've driven plenty of both in lots of different weather conditions, etc and I absolutely prefer the roadster for anything but SERIOUS track work. Actually, I even prefer the ZR for most track fun, but some tracks don't allow cageless verts and only an idiot puts a cage in a street car [EXTREMELY dangerous if you are in an accident unless you wear a helmet for street driving, lol].

I have to laugh when I hear kids on here talking about how "they messed up by trying to make the Z coupe into a convertible". The 350Z was designed as a convertible from the start --- the coupe version was added later in the prototype-runs ramping up to initial production. You have to remember -- to most of the world your car is NOT a sports car if it has a hard top! It may be a GT car (like 911's and most of your Italian exotics) but in the traditional sense of the term it is not a sports car unless it is a 2-seat, RWD roadster (I don't necessarily agree with them, but it is what it is). The coupe was introduced first because the executives at Nissan were looking to appeal to a broader market instead of only to sports car enthusiasts. But shortly thereafter the engineers got their way and the vert was released to the public. As to the whole "It's ugly with the top up" idea, that's purely subjective. Personally, I think a vert with the top up is still WAY better looking than 95% of the coupes. And with the top down there is absolutely no comparison! Add a few tasteful body enhancements (V2 front, nismo skirts and rear add-ons, and a Shine copy of the C20 rear spoiler for verts are my personal favorites) and the gap becomes even larger, regardless of what mods have been done to the coupe. Don't get me wrong, I love ALL Z's -- but the ZR is my absolute favorite and is much more distinctive than the coupes imho. There also seems to often times be a maturity difference between the drivers, but I digress....................
Old 11-30-2012, 07:43 AM
vert-z

Originally Posted by GunslingerG34
I personally wouldn't take any TWO coupes for my ZR!!! I've driven plenty of both in lots of different weather conditions, etc and I absolutely prefer the roadster for anything but SERIOUS track work. Actually, I even prefer the ZR for most track fun, but some tracks don't allow cageless verts and only an idiot puts a cage in a street car [EXTREMELY dangerous if you are in an accident unless you wear a helmet for street driving, lol].

I have to laugh when I hear kids on here talking about how "they messed up by trying to make the Z coupe into a convertible". The 350Z was designed as a convertible from the start --- the coupe version was added later in the prototype-runs ramping up to initial production. You have to remember -- to most of the world your car is NOT a sports car if it has a hard top! It may be a GT car (like 911's and most of your Italian exotics) but in the traditional sense of the term it is not a sports car unless it is a 2-seat, RWD roadster (I don't necessarily agree with them, but it is what it is). The coupe was introduced first because the executives at Nissan were looking to appeal to a broader market instead of only to sports car enthusiasts. But shortly thereafter the engineers got their way and the vert was released to the public. As to the whole "It's ugly with the top up" idea, that's purely subjective. Personally, I think a vert with the top up is still WAY better looking than 95% of the coupes. And with the top down there is absolutely no comparison! Add a few tasteful body enhancements (V2 front, nismo skirts and rear add-ons, and a Shine copy of the C20 rear spoiler for verts are my personal favorites) and the gap becomes even larger, regardless of what mods have been done to the coupe. Don't get me wrong, I love ALL Z's -- but the ZR is my absolute favorite and is much more distinctive than the coupes imho. There also seems to often times be a maturity difference between the drivers, but I digress....................
I would take either a coupe or a ZR- but my zr was a perfect price and extremely unique. I have the only ZR in my entire group I get together with out here. And all of them say its the cleanest zr they have ever seen. I am still putting a bunch in to it and alot of money into her. TAX time will be all about my car.
Old 12-01-2012, 03:12 AM
freezy

The ZR is still the best looking in my book, just perfect all around, a sunroof just can't compare. Finally got the rims mounted and enjoying the sunshine!
Aloha
Old 12-01-2012, 05:37 AM
zprincess

I love my ZR whether the top is up or down. Here in Florida it is up most of the summer because of the high humidity and heat. This time of year the top is down.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:59 PM
red roadster

Would you rather be couped up or be with a topless fairlady?
Old 12-22-2012, 09:14 PM
ZDONZ

Topless.........for sure!!!
Attached Thumbnails anyone else regret getting a ZR?-8.5.12-127.jpg   anyone else regret getting a ZR?-8.5.12-137.jpg  
Old 12-22-2012, 09:26 PM
Steaner

I never regretted getting my ZR. I in Canada so i can only drive my car for half the year anyways, but for those 5-6 months of nice weather is exactly why i bought the roadster to enjoy the win, sun and skies
Old 12-22-2012, 09:44 PM
dexrod

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just want everyone to know that before the Datsun 240Z in 1969,

there was the Datsun Fairlady Roadster in 1964.

The Datsun Sports (called Datsun Fairlady in the home market), was a series of roadsters produced by Nissan in the 1960s. The series was a predecessor to the Z-car in the Fairlady line, and offered an inexpensive alternative to the British MG and Triumph sports cars.

So when those 350Z Coupe guys knock on you for having a Roadster, you can reply back and say, "Your Great Grand Daddy is a Roadster!!".
Old 04-21-2013, 07:51 PM
simplewon

I'm on my second z roadster..nothing out there short of a viper I'd rather have..

I use my z's as a high milage daily driver for years.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:52 PM
Slyguy_38

Originally Posted by F34RL355
i love my ZR woudlnt trade it dont mine the look with the top up
I feel the same way. Top up or down, the car looks great...
Attached Thumbnails anyone else regret getting a ZR?-new-plate.jpg   anyone else regret getting a ZR?-both-zs3-safe-.jpg  
Old 04-22-2013, 04:12 AM
anatak

don't really care how it looks because I am sitting inside it and from the inside my bonnet just looks fine.
Maybe I am weird. I just enjoy driving the thing. The moment I enjoy driving a car I start to like it despite looks. The best example was the Nissan GTR. I really thought that was an ugly, fat, heavy car. Until I stepped inside and someone showed me what it could do. Now I don't think it is a designer car (like the Spyker) but I can see some beauty in it now.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:47 AM
tcode

Received 67 Likes on 40 Posts

Targa Z?
Old 04-23-2013, 09:02 AM
stilez

Why the ZR is better then the Coupe
1. The ZR w/ top down looks better then any Z coupe on the road IMO.
2. If your looking for a roadster the Z is hands down the best option in its price range. All the others require something I don't have to own one...ovaries
3. Again IMO if I wanted a sports car with a roof there are better cars out there then the Z (let the flamespray begin).

I live in Maine, can't believe that your weather is any worse then here. I have a truck for the winter and the ZR for the rest.

Last edited by stilez; 04-23-2013 at 09:03 AM.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:10 PM
anatak

I recently bought a Z because there is nothing else around here in Japan.
Looked into Z4 -> only automatic transmission
SLK -> automatic transmission only
BMW 3 series cabrio -> automatic transmission only
Audi TT -> front wheel drive, meh
Honda S2000 -> very cramped cockpit and no booth space whatsoever for a daily driver also not the easiest car to get into.
Toyota MR S -> looks good but the engine is a bit lacking
Porsche boxster -> right hand drive with manual transmission cost an arm and leg and cramped cockpit (how do they fit in these tall Germans ?)

So I ended up with a Z. I think it is too heavy to be a real sports car but it makes for a great tourer and I am very happy with it.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:35 PM
lewisb01

I haven't even owned my ZR for a month and I can tell you it's the best car I've ever owned. I owned a Z32 and loved having the T-tops off but it's not the same as having the whole top down.

Nothing beats cruising on the free way with the top down on a beautiful sunny day!

As far as looks the ZR with the top is one of the best looking cars on the road PERIOD!

The next 5 months are going to be fun as hell!!
Old 04-25-2013, 08:26 AM
TheWan

Originally Posted by stilez
Why the ZR is better then the Coupe
2. If your looking for a roadster the Z is hands down the best option in its price range. All the others require something I don't have to own one...ovaries
Yeah... except for

BMW Z4 (M model with M3 engine can be had for 25k...)
Honda S2000 (Even the CR goes under 25k)
Porche Boxter S (ugly, but previous generation goes around 20k)
C6/ Corvette Convertible/T top (saw them around 25k)

All the cars above has better driving dynamics than Z will ever have... Only reason I chose ZR is because it had certain charateristics that couldn't be explained with logic when I test drove it. Also I love the VQ Torque
Old 04-26-2013, 03:20 AM
SHILOW

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheWan
Yeah... except for

BMW Z4 (M model with M3 engine can be had for 25k...)
Honda S2000 (Even the CR goes under 25k)
Porche Boxter S (ugly, but previous generation goes around 20k)
C6/ Corvette Convertible/T top (saw them around 25k)

All the cars above has better driving dynamics than Z will ever have... Only reason I chose ZR is because it had certain charateristics that couldn't be explained with logic when I test drove it. Also I love the VQ Torque
The ZR can be had for 10k less than the cars you listed.