Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

cloth top owners help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 10:15 PM
micdams

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cloth top owners help!

So I recently had a new top installed on my roadster about 2 months ago decided to go with cloth. When I first got it the material looked gorgoues untill about 2 weeks ago I noticed everytime dark crease lines where the top fold up. The worst ones are on the sides of the car behind the windows .These lines do fade a lot the more the top is up (sun "irons' them out)but do not disapear! They make my brand new top look like sh$t! Any products out there that would help? I'll try to post some pics asapp
Old 06-11-2012, 12:31 PM
block8head

Post some pics please, i was thinking about switching to cloth please don't scare me..
Old 06-11-2012, 11:42 PM
yogipower

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ +1
Old 06-12-2012, 07:41 AM
dfresh713
Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

What brand top did you buy?
Old 06-12-2012, 09:11 AM
Jennifer 2

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Most of the cloth fabric tops are thicker than the stock vinyl material. Normally the installer will guide and coach the material in this area so that the folds (put into the new top the first time it is lowered) will pleat into place spreading out and mitigating the creased look. With this done properly the top fabric will find this pattern every time the top is lowered.

As you have noted, with the top up the sun will erase any offending crease lines and usually by the next day they are smoothed out. If it bothers you, an installer can steam out the creases and reform them for you.

The way a Z crams the top into the hatch when down, does crinkle up the fabric somewhat. Look at many other types of convertibles and you will see similar creasing when they are first put up.

My dad used to fit a lot of tops to old Plymouths and that’s how he did it.
Old 06-12-2012, 03:23 PM
micdams

Its a haartz top. I'm trying to get a picture but its been pouring the last two days lol luckily the top beads water rather nicely.. we,ll see what these creases look like when the weather clears up.
Old 06-16-2012, 10:48 AM
yogipower

^ No pictures yet?
Old 06-19-2012, 09:27 AM
micdams

sorry for the delay.. here are some pics

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Old 06-19-2012, 01:04 PM
yogipower

thank you so much for the pictures, so is this the stayfast haartz top from link below?

http://www.autotopsdirect.com/Nissan...Top-s/3383.htm

i can see that two tone on your new top? is it normal like that or already fade out? and can you take pic of back window?

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:12 PM
micdams

Originally Posted by yogipower
thank you so much for the pictures, so is this the stayfast haartz top from link below?

http://www.autotopsdirect.com/Nissan...Top-s/3383.htm

i can see that two tone on your new top? is it normal like that or already fade out? and can you take pic of back window?

Thanks in advance.
I believe that's the top.. the shop that installed it told me its a "haartz cloth top" lol but not sure what you by two tone... the whole top is the same color must be the lighting in the pics that makes the back section look darker ... these crease lines are a bit darker tho.. especially after having the top down for awhile, as I previously stated they seem to get lighter or fade away (the crease lines) the more the top is up but will not disapear completely. I absolutley love the look of this material vs the oem vinyl top, but these creases are killing me lol.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:48 PM
yogipower

Originally Posted by micdams
I believe that's the top.. the shop that installed it told me its a "haartz cloth top" lol but not sure what you by two tone... the whole top is the same color must be the lighting in the pics that makes the back section look darker ... these crease lines are a bit darker tho.. especially after having the top down for awhile, as I previously stated they seem to get lighter or fade away (the crease lines) the more the top is up but will not disapear completely. I absolutley love the look of this material vs the oem vinyl top, but these creases are killing me lol.
^ thanks again for your info. u not sure what you got on your Z? ha..
Old 06-20-2012, 10:59 AM
micdams

had the first 90 degree day this year here in new york.. creases are almost invisible I'm just scared to drop the top and have them darkened again..