Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

Convertible top issue almost resolved

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 08:28 AM
Chasliss

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Convertible top issue almost resolved

I just bought this 2005 350Z Convertible and after I drove it home (250 miles), we drove it up to the house with the top down. After we showed it to the kids, we tried to put the top back up the 5th bow wouldn't move up to allow the lid to close. So it's been in the garage with the top open. A mechanic came by today and same issues. Moves very slow before the top goes into the compartment. So he suggested reving the engine (2000 RPM's) as it was moving. Sure enough it went closed all the way. It still struggled to open all the way but now it's closing all the way. I will be purchasing some silicon spray and track grease to see if that helps. I'm going to try folding the elastic bands over and hold them in place with a paper clip (just for troubleshooting). to see if this help's closing. I will update with results.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:47 PM
Arvin89

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What does revving the engine have to do with the convertible top motors? And its most likely the elastic bands stretching due to heat that's causing the top not to close. Its a common issue. Search the forum for it.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:58 AM
Chasliss

I don't know, maybe it has to do with more voltage to the motors. I'm pretty sure electric motor's require voltage to operate the motor's. All I know is the top now works while revving the engine, where as the engine at idle, the top wouldn't open all the way. I plan to replace the elastic bands and spray dry silicone on the pivot points.
Old 06-02-2012, 04:05 PM
myork

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Chasliss
I don't know, maybe it has to do with more voltage to the motors. I'm pretty sure electric motor's require voltage to operate the motor's. All I know is the top now works while revving the engine, where as the engine at idle, the top wouldn't open all the way. I plan to replace the elastic bands and spray dry silicone on the pivot points.
If that were actually the case, the issue would more likely be your charging system than anything else. Revving the engine wont make an electric motor stronger, but it could allow a faulty alternator to put out enough juice to give the motor the power it requires to do the job.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:42 AM
juanl1999

The point Chasliss is making is that if anyone is having trouble closing their top then to try revving their motor while he troubles shoots the problem or figures out why revving the motor actually works. He is being helpful. Be grateful there are still people like this on these forums.
Old 06-03-2012, 05:47 PM
block8head

I open and close the top without starting the engine just fine... something is wrong with your top/motor or whatever related to the top.... If reving the engine help close the top then you might want to look into your charging system...
Old 06-04-2012, 01:30 PM
Chasliss

Update: Sprayed pivot points with silicone spray. The next thing I tried was spraying Lithium grease on the 5th bow cable track. Tried the top again and it still required revving the engine. Ok now getting frustrated. This time while the top was closing, I watched until the 5th bow cable was fully extended. Then I stopped the top from moving. Re-sprayed the whole 5th. bow cable track with Lithium grease. Opened and closed the top several times and it worked perfectly. It looked like it had enough lube on the track, but apparently not. I did fold the elastic bands over and held them with a paper clip. Not sure if that did anything.
Old 06-04-2012, 02:28 PM
Arvin89

Originally Posted by juanl1999
The point Chasliss is making is that if anyone is having trouble closing their top then to try revving their motor while he troubles shoots the problem or figures out why revving the motor actually works. He is being helpful. Be grateful there are still people like this on these forums.
What the hell are you on? Be grateful that there are people on this forum who are trying to solve a problem thats already been solved?

Anyways, regarding the OP. I felt sorry for you. So here you go. Read. It all, until you find your problem.

https://my350z.com/forum/maintenance...-photos-3.html

https://my350z.com/forum/350z-roadst...pletely-2.html

https://my350z.com/forum/350z-roadst...problem-6.html

https://my350z.com/forum/350z-roadst...viced-yet.html

https://my350z.com/forum/350z-roadst...oing-down.html
Old 06-24-2012, 03:41 PM
John T

Default convertible top issues

I just bought a 2006 and have reviewed an lot of posts about top operation. I want to head off issues before they occur since it is working but has some age. I learned an awful lot here already and have downloaded the two service bulletins and taken to heart the lubrication recommendations and noted the correct grease.

1- What first seemed odd to me was a snapping move as if the rails are spring loaded at the top of the arc while closing. I've looked at U Tube videos of several cars and this appears to be normal......can I conclude that?

2-- my elastic bands directly overhead between the 2 and 3 bow do have elasticity, but roughly like the resistance of an underwear band as I pull them an inch or so, as opposed to a good bungee cord resistance. Is this what it's supposed to be?

3- one thing I just have not been able to find mention of is the bands on each side at the rear window, between the 4 and 5 bow. I feel a little slack and no elasticity at all, just a strong band of material as I tug on them with the top fully up.
Is this the way these are supposed to be? Can you tell me how these come into play in top operation?

thank you very much for your responses. this looks like a very informative place to hang out and I appreciate the opportunity to lurk and ask an occasional question.

John T
Orlando