350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

Passenger Seat Airbag Deployed-- Looking into New Seats

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 05:30 PM
SHIVtheGREAT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passenger Seat Airbag Deployed-- Looking into New Seats

Howdy gents,

I blew the side curtain airbag on my passenger seat and have been looking into my options:

First off, do coupe seats work in the convertible? My ZR is a touring model, and I've heard that I may not be able to use any model's seat. There have been some promising leads on car-part.com, but it seems that most already have the airbag deployed (and other issues) or don't have all the goodies (power, heating, leather, etc).

Would it also be possible to get the seat re-upholstered? I'm thinking screw the airbag, and getting some new leather and the seat restitched. Is that even possible? It looks like part of the plastic part was blown off and the seat was ripped.

Any help you guys can provide would be much appreciated. If there are any other threads that could help, please point the way. I couldn't find anything when I searched earlier, but the search function brought up a bunch of random things.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:01 PM
Z_enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anytime your bags deplot youll need a need seat belt,buckle,air bag comp module, steering wheel clockspring (if steering wheel popped). asnd you CAN probably get the seat reupholstered BUT youll have a airbag light on because youll have no bag in the seat. when air bags pop you need alot of stuff to get it back RIGHT. Im a collision tech at a reputable body shop. dont try to rig your air bag system please... That being said Good Luck bud!
Old 08-11-2012, 05:14 AM
SHIVtheGREAT

Originally Posted by Z_enthusiast
Anytime your bags deplot youll need a need seat belt,buckle,air bag comp module, steering wheel clockspring (if steering wheel popped). asnd you CAN probably get the seat reupholstered BUT youll have a airbag light on because youll have no bag in the seat. when air bags pop you need alot of stuff to get it back RIGHT. Im a collision tech at a reputable body shop. dont try to rig your air bag system please... That being said Good Luck bud!
Thanks for the help, enthusiast. Since it was just the passenger seat side curtain airbag, I'm assuming I won't need to do anything with my steering wheel. However, I wasn't aware that I'd need a new seat belt and belt buckle.

Do you know anything about a full seat swap? Can I put a coupe seat in a convertible, for example?
Old 08-11-2012, 05:21 AM
kno

Received 120 Likes on 87 Posts

op did you crash or did it spontaneously deploy?
Old 08-11-2012, 05:27 AM
Z_enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check your belt, it should be locked up. Also you'll need to replace the two impact sensors that went off and caused the bag to go off. As far as the seats... I have no clue, sorry. But with a lil searching I'm sure u can find your answer.
Old 08-11-2012, 07:48 PM
SHIVtheGREAT

Originally Posted by Z_enthusiast
Check your belt, it should be locked up. Also you'll need to replace the two impact sensors that went off and caused the bag to go off. As far as the seats... I have no clue, sorry. But with a lil searching I'm sure u can find your answer.
Yeah, I was googling around and couldn't find a good answer. I was talking to a guy at a salvage yard who sounded like he knew what he was talking about, and he said the coupe and convertible seats don't mix. He wasn't exactly a professional, however, so I was hoping to get a concrete answer on these forums.

Also, the seat belt hasn't locked up. It's as smooth as it's ever been... go figure.

Originally Posted by kno
op did you crash or did it spontaneously deploy?
It was a crash. I was taking a turn and I knew that I was giving it too much gas (it's a turn I'd taken a hundred times before), but I figured my TCS would warn me when I got too close to the edge and I could rein it in without issue (again, this is something that I have never had issues with before). BUT, I must have turned off the TCS without thinking when I got in my car, because just as the back started to come around on me, I looked down in shock and saw the TCS off light shining at me like I was in the Great Gatsby from hell. That's it... 2 grand and growing in repairs.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:12 AM
arcada

I have a pair of roadster power leather seats available if you're interested.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:23 PM
NismoZR

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would get a pair of roadster seats to replace the original if you recall our roadster passenger seat has a safety mech whenever closing or opening the convertible top the back of seat would tilt forward to operate without it your roof won't open or close. I have sparco on mine so had to remove the entire module from my original seat so my would operate normally. I don't think the coupe passenger has it built in.