350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

Bought a 2008 350z Grand Touring, but it's a Touring

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 10:03 PM
gwbrenn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bought a 2008 350z Grand Touring, but it's a Touring

Hey All,

Just bought my first ZR a couple weeks ago (advertised as a Grand Touring), and just recently found out that it's actually a Touring. This is mainly noticeable because it doesn't have Brembo brakes, Rays rims, or ventilated seats. To clear up a common initial misconception, the GT ZR does not have larger 19" rear rims like the coupe has, and also does not have a modified front and rear spoiler as the coupe has.

Anyways, I noticed this had happened, but luckily Carmax has a 30-day warranty. I love my Z and would really prefer to keep it, but also feel like I've been a little tricked because if the vehicle is a Touring, I overpaid for it by a pretty good margin, and wouldn't be against trading it in for a correctly advertised Touring model and saving a few thousand dollars. I am currently talking with Carmax about this issue and will be updating this post/thread as it unfolds, so hopefully if people encounter a similar problem in the future, they will have a good reference.

Day 1:
  • Called Carmax. They insisted that the trim of my vehicle was indeed a Grand Touring, and claimed that the Brembo brakes, etc, were only options on the NISMO model. While this isn't true, the only source I could find online supporting this was Yahoo Autos, which listed the differences.
  • Called Nissan USA. Had a one and a half hour phone call with them. The initial rep spoke very broken english and couldn't help me very well so I asked to be transferred to the supervisor, who was able to run my VIN. He said my vehicle was identified as a Grand Touring, and that it should have Brembo brakes, Rays rims, and ventilated seats. When I told him that my car had none of those, he was confused and said that the VIN doesn't tell the complete story, and forwarded my case on to the tech department, which should be getting back to him within the next day or two. I requested paperwork which specified these differences between the trims so I could share it for others who might need it, but he was not able to provide it due to confidentiality reasons.
[Edit1]
Day 2:
  • Nothing from Nissan USA, will be following up late tomorrow if I still haven't heard anything by then.
[Edit2]
Day 3:
  • Got the call from Nissan USA, and they confirmed that it is indeed a Touring.
  • Called Carmax with the updated information, and was told the representative would talk with a manager to figure out what options I had.
  • Received a call back a few hours later, my options were to take a $1,000 "settlement" check or to return the vehicle, and there was no budging on the check amount (typical Carmax). I let them know I'd think about it. The TMV difference between the trims from what research I did is in the area of $1,700, but I really love my Z so I was pretty happy with the $1,000. Since this is technically a settlement, they said I would have legal papers and whatnot to sign in order to receive the check.
  • Called Carmax back saying that I would take the check, but also asked that tax be included in addition to the $1,000.
  • Carmax called me back a bit later saying that they would honor the tax difference and it would be added onto the check amount.

So yeah, that pretty much concludes it, it's good to see Carmax taking some accountability for the error. Even though it took a fair amount of prodding on my part against their continued refusal that the trim was incorrect, once I had official word from Nissan that this was the case, they were willing to compensate accordingly.

Last edited by gwbrenn; 06-05-2013 at 03:21 PM. Reason: updated information
Old 06-03-2013, 10:13 PM
clarkah

The person who sold the car to carmax probably parted out most of the goodies prior the sale...
Old 06-03-2013, 10:28 PM
gwbrenn

I'd normally think so, since brakes and rims would be relatively easy to switch out, but the fact that it doesn't have ventilated seats has me wondering.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:54 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

CarMax doesn't have a 30-day return policy, just a warranty for repairs needed within that first 30 days. You've got 5 days to return the car. Regardless of the trim level, you'll always overpay at CarMax.
Old 06-04-2013, 01:04 PM
KornerCarver

Received 171 Likes on 76 Posts

The ventilated leather seats were not standard on the Grand Touring Roadsters. They were a no charge option so the original purchaser could have the seats either way at their choice. I suspect you have purchased a Touring model.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:21 AM
gwbrenn

Originally Posted by dcains
CarMax doesn't have a 30-day return policy, just a warranty for repairs needed within that first 30 days. You've got 5 days to return the car. Regardless of the trim level, you'll always overpay at CarMax.
As I said, they have a 30-day warranty, which is much more comprehensive and covers more than a traditional extended warranty because of its short-term nature. Whether "my brakes are not the type they are supposed to be" is covered under this has yet to be seen. Either way, it's false advertising for them to claim an incorrect trim level. For a normal dealer this wouldn't be a huge deal, but since Carmax is a bit of a behemoth, I would think they'd care enough about customer satisfaction to make things right in some way. Time will tell. Not much happened today, but I'll be calling Nissan USA tomorrow for an update if I haven't heard anything by the afternoon.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:24 AM
Spider Monkey

Originally Posted by gwbrenn
As I said, they have a 30-day warranty, which is much more comprehensive and covers more than a traditional extended warranty because of its short-term nature. Whether "my brakes are not the type they are supposed to be" is covered under this has yet to be seen. Either way, it's false advertising for them to claim an incorrect trim level. For a normal dealer this wouldn't be a huge deal, but since Carmax is a bit of a behemoth, I would think they'd care enough about customer satisfaction to make things right in some way. Time will tell. Not much happened today, but I'll be calling Nissan USA tomorrow for an update if I haven't heard anything by the afternoon.
The larger the corporation, the less ***** they will give about the little guy.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:35 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

They're not going to fix your brakes, simply because they're not broken. Further, as the guy above me posted, the don't give a ****.

My wife and I nearly got royally screwed by CarMax when she bought home an Acura TSX which has supposedly been through all their "checks" before sale. Once it was home I crawled underneath to change the fluids and filters, only to find most of the chassis and exhaust covered in red overspray(car was Milano Red), and both bumpers to have been repaired (and I use that word loosely), with tape and fiberglass. Front bumper airbag sensor was also disconnected (harness was doctored, too), many fasteners were missing, and the car had other obvious underside damage from a front/rear collision. No way anyone could have missed this with the car on a lift.

Manager refused to take the car back, and it "had no functional issues", until I started to call one of the local TV news stations while sitting across the desk from him. He was still a doucheb@g right until we walked away with our check, and even tried to screw us out of numerous fees which are part of a "normal" purchase, until I got our credit union involved.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:05 PM
KornerCarver

Received 171 Likes on 76 Posts

Good luck with returning the car. I suspect Carmax is not going to care and besides, you should have done some research prior to purchasing. The missing brakes and wheels should have been a red flag.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:46 PM
mknZ

Agreed on the ventilated seats, those are not standard on the grand touring model. Brembo brakes and 18" six spoke wheels should be there though.
Old 06-05-2013, 03:22 PM
gwbrenn

edited with the latest, turns out it is a Touring, and Carmax is stepping up the the plate and offering a settlement of sorts to cover the difference in the trims.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:25 AM
bb17

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I hate carmax. I went to test drive a high mileage Nismo 350 which they were selling for $27,000, and only offered me $11,500 on my lower-mileage touring. They screw you on the way in and on the way out.
Old 06-06-2013, 12:32 PM
laurentj23

How much do you pay and mileage?
I went and took my 2004 Honda accord v4 for appraisal. They say they will give her 2500! I lol at them and walk away!
Old 06-07-2013, 06:45 AM
Aaron L. Duncan

I had a situation failry similar to yours at my local BMW dealer. I went in to buy a CPO'd 335 vert and found out later that it was not and needed a bunch of work done. I threw a fit and eventually they cut me a check for the full amount of what I paid and I walked away. I would think if they sold you something that they have to stand by what it is and if it isn't what they say then they flat out lied to you. Don't settle for any BS stories or a little amount of money. Get the numbers run a few times by other dealers if possible and get a real figure that you want and stand by that or tell them you are giving them the car back and want every dime back including all the tax you paid on the car. Here is a pic of my Touring (that I swear was a grand touring cause of the options).
Attached Thumbnails Bought a 2008 350z Grand Touring, but it's a Touring-photo-2.jpg   Bought a 2008 350z Grand Touring, but it's a Touring-photo-3.jpg  
Old 06-07-2013, 04:53 PM
Ilya Tchernov

Hi, I'm thinking of buying a 350z (I'm a total noob when it comes to nissans) and I found something that seemed like a good deal, however, after doing some research I came to a conclusion that the person is trying to sell a base model as a GT (judging from the pictures and the descriptions he gave). Please tell me if I am wrong/right:

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/bn...814520094.html

He claims the CD player has been changed (thus no bose panel). The car has no leather seats and no nav but he claims it has VDC.

Any advice for a new buyer of a 350z would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Old 06-07-2013, 05:14 PM
350zchad

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Aaron L. Duncan
I had a situation failry similar to yours at my local BMW dealer. I went in to buy a CPO'd 335 vert and found out later that it was not and needed a bunch of work done. I threw a fit and eventually they cut me a check for the full amount of what I paid and I walked away. I would think if they sold you something that they have to stand by what it is and if it isn't what they say then they flat out lied to you. Don't settle for any BS stories or a little amount of money. Get the numbers run a few times by other dealers if possible and get a real figure that you want and stand by that or tell them you are giving them the car back and want every dime back including all the tax you paid on the car. Here is a pic of my Touring (that I swear was a grand touring cause of the options).
if that came with brembos.. its grand touring
Old 06-07-2013, 05:35 PM
jmShiftinZ

Ilya Tchernov---"The car has no leather seats"

it cant be a touring or grand touring if it doesn't have heated leather seats.
Old 06-07-2013, 05:43 PM
Nick Mystic

I think a lot of non-Nissan dealers really don't know what model Z they are selling. When I bought my 2006 350Z GT from such a lot they told me it was an Enthusiast model even though it had all the GT features: Rays rims, 19" rear, 18" front, Brembos, upgraded Bose sound, heated leather seats, etc. I ended up paying a couple thousand less than the car was worth due to the dealers ignorance.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:01 AM
block8head

Originally Posted by Ilya Tchernov
Hi, I'm thinking of buying a 350z (I'm a total noob when it comes to nissans) and I found something that seemed like a good deal, however, after doing some research I came to a conclusion that the person is trying to sell a base model as a GT (judging from the pictures and the descriptions he gave). Please tell me if I am wrong/right:

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/bn...814520094.html

He claims the CD player has been changed (thus no bose panel). The car has no leather seats and no nav but he claims it has VDC.

Any advice for a new buyer of a 350z would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Also, the steering wheel have no Cruise control.
There is a lot of miss information here
Old 06-08-2013, 10:24 AM
Slyguy_38

CarMax got me for a "Grand Touring" roadster too. Turned out that it's a Touring. While they duped me on the trim level, I paid a little less than a Private Party KBB for a Touring so it's all good.

Ryan

Quick Reply: Bought a 2008 350z Grand Touring, but it's a Touring