Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

Roadster drive through car wash

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 01:01 PM
goracerx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Roadster drive through car wash

When I don't wash the car myself I use a car wash that uses water jets and they hand wash. The problem is both the cost even with a discount and no car wash knows how to dry your car escpecially not with shop towels. The folded over sewn edges scratch the paint and since they rub in circles, that's where the swirl line scratches come from.

So i've tried to find a do it yourself or drive through. I stay away from the ones that spin. The newer ones dance the stripped cloth over the car. Tracks can damage wide wheels. They don't get the wheels clean. I'm afraid of the ones that have the blow dryer that glides over your car on wheels. The newest ones have stationary blow dryers.

Besides the do it yourself wash, I found a 76 station that had a stationary wash. Meaning the car is stationary and not on a rolling track. The water jets roll frowards and backwards on a horse shoe shaped machine. The exit has three staionary air dryers.

Does anyone else have any input or experience to share?
...what word?
Old 08-15-2013, 01:32 PM
NoQuestionZ

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Manual wash? All the reasons you stated are why I either bucket wash at home or use my own stuff at a self serve.

Are you pressed for time or just lazy?
Old 08-16-2013, 04:31 AM
zprincess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have used a wash similar to the 76 station. It worked fine. I always brought microfiber towels to dry what the blowers missed. I made many mods to the Z since then so hand wash only now.
Old 08-16-2013, 05:05 AM
JCat
---------------

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Have you ever noticed older cars where the clear coat has disappeared and the flat color paint underneath is showing ?

SOMETIMES this is the result of improper chemicals or chemical mixes at car washes.

You may be damaging your paint by visiting ANY car wash . . . .touch-less or not.

(I owned a car once that was shiny before the car wash and dull after . . . the chemical used by the car wash was designed for cleaning concrete.)
Old 08-16-2013, 08:10 AM
Blooster

Garden hose - safe, effective and almost free.

(Don't mean to be sarcastic - just stating what works for me.)
Old 08-16-2013, 08:24 AM
Syner

Received 829 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by NoQuestionZ
Manual wash? All the reasons you stated are why I either bucket wash at home or use my own stuff at a self serve.

My bet is on lazy.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:42 AM
RedScytheZ

Washing your car by hand at home is hands down the only way to get your paint truly clean and minimize swirling. High pressure drive throughs will not remove surface contaminants from the paint. Don't believe me? Go use a touchless drive through, pull your car over, spray some detail spray on your hood and wipe it down with a white microfiber. Its going to be grey.

You have to hand wash with a 2 bucket method to properly lift dirt from the paint. Follow that up with drying with a clean microfiber drying towel or blow drying and you're golden.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:17 PM
goracerx

Originally Posted by NoQuestionZ

Why do I even post on this site? Maybe I like smart **** replies?
Old 08-19-2013, 12:19 PM
goracerx

Originally Posted by Syner
My bet is on lazy.
I do not have filtered water. Regular water leaves water spots. The car has to be clean before it is clay bared, polished and waxed.

You lose, pay up sukkuh!
Old 08-19-2013, 12:22 PM
Syner

Originally Posted by goracerx
I do not have filtered water. Regular water leaves water spots. The car has to be clean before it is clay bared, polished and waxed.

You lose, pay up sukkuh!
The chemicals in a drive through car wash are worse than not having filtered water. Dry your car and you won't have water spots, "sukkuh"

FYI - clay bar will lift water spots.

Last edited by Syner; 08-19-2013 at 12:25 PM.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:23 PM
goracerx

Originally Posted by RedScytheZ
Washing your car by hand at home is hands down the only way to get your paint truly clean and minimize swirling. High pressure drive throughs will not remove surface contaminants from the paint. Don't believe me? Go use a touchless drive through, pull your car over, spray some detail spray on your hood and wipe it down with a white microfiber. Its going to be grey.

You have to hand wash with a 2 bucket method to properly lift dirt from the paint. Follow that up with drying with a clean microfiber drying towel or blow drying and you're golden.
I aware of the two bucket method but it is not the washing the scratches the paint, it's the drying. So the stationary blow dryers would be best. Moreover, your reply allthoug appreciated really was not an answer to the question.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:24 PM
goracerx

Originally Posted by Syner
The chemicals in a drive through car wash are worse than not having filtered water.

Dry your car and you won't have water spots, "sukkuh"
Wrong, water spots are worse than soap made for washing cars. Where's my Two dollars?
Old 08-19-2013, 12:27 PM
goracerx

Originally Posted by JCat
Have you ever noticed older cars where the clear coat has disappeared and the flat color paint underneath is showing ?

SOMETIMES this is the result of improper chemicals or chemical mixes at car washes.

You may be damaging your paint by visiting ANY car wash . . . .touch-less or not.

(I owned a car once that was shiny before the car wash and dull after . . . the chemical used by the car wash was designed for cleaning concrete.)

If that's true, that's insane! That really makes no sense and I find it hard to beleive but it's also scary.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:32 PM
Syner

Wrong, water spots are worse than soap made for washing cars. Where's my Two dollars?

You have no clue what you are talking about. Talk to any reputable detailer and they will tell you to avoid drive-through washes. Some even say not washing at all is better than using a drive-through.

As said above, clay bar will pull water spots...
Old 08-19-2013, 01:31 PM
colaito

Hey now, not everyone has access to a garden hose and driveway. I moved into an apartment, and parking is in a garage. I have hundreds of dollars worth of car wash accessories and they sit in my closet.

If I can take it to a buddy's house to wash then I will, but most times I end up taking it to a self wash station and using my detail stuff to finish it up.

Never, ever ever ever ever go through a drive through wash. Convertible or coupe it doesnt matter.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:40 PM
NoQuestionZ

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Why do I even post on this site? Maybe I like smart **** replies?
I wasn't being a smart ****. I was asking because there are easier ways to do things if you are just lazy.

Continue to ARSsume.
Old 08-25-2013, 03:27 PM
bobbyz350

the high pressure hose (you better not hit the top with it!!!) is aweful to paint!!! wash yourself and take care of it!!!
Old 10-14-2013, 04:01 PM
dynaquest1

In central Texas (Austin) we are not allowed to wash our cars due to the drought and associated water restrictions. A brand new car wash opened close by with all the hanging strips of some kind of fabric. I worry a lot both leaking (2007 Roadster) and top damage. Any thoughts on this? I would much rather hand wash but the fine is $400.00.
Old 10-14-2013, 05:13 PM
350zchad

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by dynaquest1
In central Texas (Austin) we are not allowed to wash our cars due to the drought and associated water restrictions. A brand new car wash opened close by with all the hanging strips of some kind of fabric. I worry a lot both leaking (2007 Roadster) and top damage. Any thoughts on this? I would much rather hand wash but the fine is $400.00.
Optimum No Rinse.. can do it in the garage or wherever, just need about 2 gallons of water in a bucket and you are good to go

As a detailer.. there is so much wrong info in this it's humorous

Last edited by 350zchad; 10-14-2013 at 05:18 PM.
Old 03-23-2014, 02:19 PM
zamfield

The local car wash "Spa" place here offers hand washing and they have a plethora of cloths etc to ensure they don't add swirls.
I just had a hand wash and then clay bar, buff etc and the car looks amazing.
Hand wash is only $35... I think a couple of them and a couple of bucket washing at home will work for me.

Here she is after the wash yesterday.... drool!!!

Quick Reply: Roadster drive through car wash