19x12 -29(66) 2018 update

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 04:41 PM
Riff

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 19x12 -29(66) 2018 update

Whadup, and Happy New year.

Well.... ill just pick up where I left off

But first, I'm sure lots of people aren't too interested in what I have going on, and for those people I suggest moving along. You might be offended. For those of you who are this is just an update of my project, and what you can expect to experience if you go down this path.

Ok
May of 2017
I had visions, but in the end, The Clinched universal kit in my opinion and experience just doesn't work very well with the Z body. the molding didn't come out goof for me (even without vandals f@#!in you car up).

And after all that work I went over to the south side to my in-laws house for like 15-20 tops, and some foo pulled on of my rear fenders off (curb side). I came to that conclusion because i hadn't washed the car due to the rain and noticed hand prints. Maybe it was a clumsy dude on a skateboard that ran into it, but it was the way the hand print was positioned and the way I was parked that would suggest it was intentional.

After trying to mend the... we'll just call it vandalism, Defender no longer suited the curvature of the wheel well and I guess I lost a bit of space due to the missing plastic and the tire begin to rub on that side whenever I went over bumps. This burned the fender and caused it to crack in half

It took like three weeks to get these shipped from Russia and $450, how do you set it to redirect do something a little more purpose built less custom and more sturdy. I guess nowadays I'm from was considered the old school, and I know for sure that Chevy stingrays are made out of fiberglass. and if somebody manages to pull one of those off I can at least fix it with resin more fiberglass in a little Bondo. I wnt with the Jpngarage "big boy" wide body flare kit. The INGS polyurethane front bumper cover was like 500 bucks. I can get a WHOLE complete replica kit for that... So that's what I did, I just use the bumper and kept the rest of it in a box in the garage.

However... "karma is a big'ol ugly fat b@!#$%" as if to smite me in a Biblical fashion, the leftover body kit pieces still in the box fell off of the Shelf on to my rearview mirror breaking it off, causing it to fall down with the weight of itself and the kit inside of a large box denting my passenger side door

DON'T BUY KNOCK OFF FIBERGLASS KITS. THEY WILL NEVER FIT RIGHT.... fortunately for me, I was going wide body anyway

It ended up working out

Yaaay, time to cut up the "other" $500 widebody flare kit

. . . I REALLY need a paint job. . . . I wonder how much those cost?

Uhoh... I can see already this is gonna be a problem

( 3 months later)[ SpongeBob deep sea diver voice]

Long and expensive story short, and that topic

one more color, and I'll have trouble finding it if I park near tall bushes.

Moving on.
seeing as it was just dangling off of the top of the crossmember you could fold this bumper up and put it in your pocket, I decide to reinforce it from the bottom with a sheet of aluminum I would not from the bottom of the crossmember

and just as things were starting to get interesting, the cones on those handy dandy "SR S" exhaust pipes I was telling you about a couple of posts ago, both fell off inside the tips. So it basically sounded like i was dragging bags of cans everywhere I went. one of my day oners heard of my troubles and decided to lend a hand

Temptation had finally gotten the best of me and I went ahead and gave them a shot. Now before I get blasted, I can explain. I recently changed professions and I now carpool to work. So I will probably be driving this car three or four times a week short distances. So as far as the time frame is concerned it should be about the same where as my other set of tires... Maybe even longer.

.... and if they don't last, I don't even care LOL they look pretty crazy

January of 2018
After literally searching for months for a paint shop, a booth, a painter... Some clown with the spray gun.... that would spray my car for a decent price ...and finding NO ONE... like everything else these last two years, it was once again time to jump in head first

My other day oner helping me say it while I take it apart

Here goes nothing....

ladies and ladies and gentlemen, the first thing I've ever sprayed

Let's see... I mixed the base coat 1:1:1 instead of 1:1 (:/) ... I mixed the clear coat 1:1:1 instead of 3:1:1 (:\)... It was 40° (:/)... and on two panels I went too light on the incorrectly mixed base and too heavy on the incorrectly mixed clear......

Luckily, I completely disassemble the car and painted everything separately and hadn't started on the chassis yet so I had a decent amount of time to learn from my mistakes. So I bust out the runs we cleared it and will probably respray the two bad panels this summer. But all in all I don't think I did that bad of a job. Off to the tired shop

Which brings me to my current state of being

Next, I'm going to try and figure out how to get this slightly warped fiberglass ducktail spoiler mounted. Double-sided tape will not work as the Edges are almost at a 45 degree angle and the sides are warped inward about 22.5°. I read somewhere to just use the bead of beta link and put some white Plasti Dip on the exposed adhesive to mask off the separation. I just wish there was another not so permanent way to do it should I make another error LOL.

So can you paint your car yourself?
With the right materials the right spray gun and definitely the right amount of research.... and weather. Absolutely... But save yourself the headache and have a professional with a Booth spray your car.

Authentic body kits or fiberglass replicas?
Well, if you're not sponsored, or are a pro drifter in destroy your car on a regular basis I'd say go with a replica knockoff. but if you're a daily driver (like me) and unless you want everything to fall apart (like my stuff) or to buy everything twice (like I had to) "GO AUTHENTIC "

Last edited by Riff; 01-31-2018 at 06:45 PM.
Old 01-31-2018, 05:07 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,044 Likes on 6,510 Posts

Over half your pics are being blocked by photo****et
Old 01-31-2018, 05:24 PM
Riff

Originally Posted by travlee
Over half your pics are being blocked by photo****et
Figures.... I'll have to re-upload them when I get home
Old 01-31-2018, 06:40 PM
Riff

are you sure?... they are all showing up for me on my desktop....
Old 01-31-2018, 08:37 PM
Riff

Old 01-31-2018, 08:40 PM
Riff

Old 01-31-2018, 08:41 PM
Riff

thats the story teller ones that are missing
Old 02-01-2018, 02:57 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,044 Likes on 6,510 Posts

Originally Posted by Riff
are you sure?... they are all showing up for me on my desktop....
i have a chrome plugin on my computer that shows them, but this was from my phone this morning

Old 03-17-2018, 11:45 PM
Riff

damn it. It took way too long to gather all those pics up. #fail