350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

Tonneau Cover Gets Stuck

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 04:48 AM
maui1girl

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Tonneau Cover Gets Stuck

Hi all!

First post here. Love my Z, and have had her since she was new in 2004 but she's recently been giving me some trouble.
2004 Roadster Entusiast

When attempting to put the top down everything works normally until the tonneau cover gets about half way up. At that point it gets stuck and doesn't want to continue to open to allow the top to go down to hide underneath. If i press and release the open switch a few more times it will eventually push past the stuck point and work fine. It will then open and close normally for a few days, then it will get stuck again and I've got to work it open again.

Any suggestions as to what I can do to keep it from getting stuck?

Thank you!
Jessica

Old 05-29-2018, 05:17 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,047 Likes on 6,513 Posts

my guess is 5th bow motor, and switch issue
The following users liked this post:
35th4me (03-30-2020)
Old 05-29-2018, 06:16 AM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,594 Posts

If you can get the tonneau verticle, leave it there for a moment. Look inside and you will see vinyl covering the sides. There are gears behind the covers that could probably benefit from a light duty all purpose lithium grease once a year. Apply to all teeth, anything that moves. Allow several cycles for it to work in.
As stated above, make sure your brake pedal light is good, top up/down switch is good. Gl
The following users liked this post:
DDOWAZ (08-19-2020)
Old 05-29-2018, 12:12 PM
maui1girl

Originally Posted by travlee
my guess is 5th bow motor, and switch issue
Thanks for the quick response! I’ll have to search how to diagnose the switch, I’m sure there is a lot of info already on this site 😊 Appreciate your input!
Old 05-29-2018, 01:17 PM
maui1girl

Originally Posted by jhc
If you can get the tonneau verticle, leave it there for a moment. Look inside and you will see vinyl covering the sides. There are gears behind the covers that could probably benefit from a light duty all purpose lithium grease once a year. Apply to all teeth, anything that moves. Allow several cycles for it to work in.
As stated above, make sure your brake pedal light is good, top up/down switch is good. Gl
Thanks for your quick replay. I'm sure they need it as I have never lubricated anything on the top mechanism. Is there a simple way to test the brake pedal light? The up down switch definitely is good, but I know there is also some proximity switch or something like that which is actuated at some point in the opening process. Is there a specific way to test that?

Thanks All!
Old 05-30-2018, 03:45 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,047 Likes on 6,513 Posts

might want to read this thread

https://my350z.com/forum/maintenance...th-photos.html

Originally Posted by 350zconvert
I have a 2004 350z. The top closes ok, but when opening the top after at has been closed for a few days...the lid goes up 1/4 of the way and stops. I bump the switch two more times and it goes all the way and works fine the rest of the day. Sounds like I need to replaces brushes in the two convertible top Motors. Are the brushes the same size and is there a video out there showing how to remove the motors? What is 5th bow? Is there a 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th bow??
Originally Posted by Ivan Youroff
According to service manual to access roof actuators one needs to uninstall roof assembly. It's like a first step in the guide. However the same is true for 5th bow motor, which people learned to remove without even touching the roof assembly itself.
I have similar symptoms to yours, and replacing brushes 5th bow motor didn't fix help much, so the only option left is roof actuators, but even after reading service manual and looking at it on the car I got no idea how to replace them without removing the roof completely. Let me know if you figure out the way.
Old 06-05-2018, 03:21 AM
msk59

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 2006 Roadster with manual. the top works fine but I checked the elastic straps on it and they are getting weaker. These two elastic straps can be replace without removing the top. These elastic straps has TSB issued on them on how to replace them.OP mentioned that the hinges were never lubricated. i would diagnose it step by step. First check the elastic straps. These are located one on each side towards the front of the top. they are holding two bows. I would then lubricate the hinges/actuators as mentioned above and then check the motors etc. My2c.

Trending Topics

Old 06-11-2018, 07:04 AM
maui1girl

Originally Posted by msk59
I have a 2006 Roadster with manual. the top works fine but I checked the elastic straps on it and they are getting weaker. These two elastic straps can be replace without removing the top. These elastic straps has TSB issued on them on how to replace them.OP mentioned that the hinges were never lubricated. i would diagnose it step by step. First check the elastic straps. These are located one on each side towards the front of the top. they are holding two bows. I would then lubricate the hinges/actuators as mentioned above and then check the motors etc. My2c.

I will try this over the weekend and let you know, thank you!!
Old 06-11-2018, 10:38 AM
msk59

You are welcome.

The dealership prices are anywhere from $70 to $90 per side. Ebay has a seller that is selling the kit (one per side) for $65.99. that is the cheapest I have found so far. I checked with one of our local dealer and they quoted me $76 per side for the same kit after I told them that on-line dealers are selling it for $65.99. I was hoping that they match the price but they did not.
If your straps are loose and kind a hanging there with very little to no tension then you would need this. On this forum, there is a very nice Do-IT-YOURSELF guide with pictures which would help. I will get it done this task one of these days. ( too many projects, too little time) plus Work Ah!

Found the link for the Tutorial: https://my350z.com/forum/350z-roadst...-tutorial.html

Last edited by msk59; 06-11-2018 at 10:39 AM.
Old 07-22-2018, 06:21 PM
delco7

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking Elastic Straps

Holy Moly,
Over 60 bananas PER SIDE for those little elastic straps.....Yea.....No. I'll whack one of my wife's bras apart, and if I live, save a bundle... You should be able to get elastic straps like this at Jo Ann's Fabrics or an equivalent fabric shop, and grab some pop rivets at Home Depot for pennies.
Old 07-23-2018, 08:04 AM
msk59

Thanks Delco: Yep, $65 free shipping per side. (LOL. I don't think you need to rip the bra). there is a Jo Ann Fabrics shop in town so I plan on driving it there and getting matching straps. Thank You.
Old 02-18-2020, 09:49 AM
P Miller

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by maui1girl
Hi all!

First post here. Love my Z, and have had her since she was new in 2004 but she's recently been giving me some trouble.
2004 Roadster Entusiast

When attempting to put the top down everything works normally until the tonneau cover gets about half way up. At that point it gets stuck and doesn't want to continue to open to allow the top to go down to hide underneath. If i press and release the open switch a few more times it will eventually push past the stuck point and work fine. It will then open and close normally for a few days, then it will get stuck again and I've got to work it open again.

Any suggestions as to what I can do to keep it from getting stuck?

Thank you!
Jessica

Jessica,

Did you ever find a fix? I have exactly the same issue.

Paul
Old 02-18-2020, 09:53 AM
maui1girl

Originally Posted by P Miller
Jessica,

Did you ever find a fix? I have exactly the same issue.

Paul
Unfortunately no 🤷‍♀️ haven't had the top down all winter to mess with it anyway lol. Let me know if you come up with anything!
Old 03-30-2020, 07:54 AM
OakleyFreak

I have the same issue
Had the 5th Bow motor rebuilt last year, and a new top installed at Hermans.
Took car out of storage to get ready for sale
Top stops and I must hit the down switch several times to get it to open
very frustrating

Old 08-02-2020, 12:09 PM
53Starliner

Did anyone find a solution? My 04 is doing the same thing...
Wondering if it's an 04 problem, or if other years are affected.
Old 08-07-2020, 09:19 PM
Jody Johnston

I have an 06 Roadster that is also having the same storage lid stopping issue while trying to open the convertible top. I just took out both storage lid motors and opened them up to look at the brushes and they still have about half life left. Cleaned up the armatures and the internals then reassembled and still have the same issue. I'm going to look around in there to see if there is anything further that can be lubed up but the storage lid mechanism seems quite simple compared to the top itself which is working fine once the storage lid gets done with its flaky portion. Once the whole top assembly sequence has been cycled then it will work perfectly fine for the second sequence. It is after it has sat without operating for a few days that it will be a problem. If anyone has experience with resolving this issue it would be good to hear from them.

Thanks all!
Old 08-08-2020, 07:04 AM
53Starliner

Hi Jody,

I'm still chasing the tonneau cover (aka storage lid) issue, but am making some progress (I think!!).

I have found by disconnecting the battery for about 10 minutes or so, then reconnecting it, the top operates flawlessly. On a previous post someone mentioned how it resets the Soft top control module. So far, mine has worked perfectly for 4 cycles, so I'm curious to see how long it lasts.

My brother, who is a tech for an auto supplier making window motors for GM, thinks the problem COULD be in the module. He has advised me to clean the connectors and put conductive grease on the motor terminals, check all limit switches and clean them along with the harness, and clean every ground located on the circuit (there are more than one usually).

I have not started that process yet, as I am waiting for it to fail first so I can possibly pull a DTC code from the OBDII.

I will keep you posted...

~Steve

Old 10-03-2020, 08:56 AM
Jaime136

Wow, there seems to be a rash of this. '04 automatic here with the same troubles. Tried to open it for the first time after a scorching summer, hurricanes, etc.

I'll try disconnecting the battery and report back.

As far as the bands go, I found this guy on some forum or another (maybe even here) looks like $40 for the set. Anyone have any exerpience?

https://spyderbands.com/
Old 10-05-2020, 11:36 AM
Jody Johnston

Hi Jaime,
The bands aren't related to the tonneau cover (Storage lid), those are for the top to bring the segments together in preparation for the top storage. Are you only having a problem with the storage lid stopping while preparing for opening the top?
Old 10-05-2020, 11:42 AM
Jaime136

Originally Posted by Jody Johnston
Hi Jaime,
The bands aren't related to the tonneau cover (Storage lid), those are for the top to bring the segments together in preparation for the top storage. Are you only having a problem with the storage lid stopping while preparing for opening the top?
Everything starts okay. Pull latch and hit button. Lower roof pops off the tonneau. Tonneau pops loose and only moves a few inches and stops. Let go of button and press again and it moves a few more inches. Repeat about 6 or 7 times and tonneau is fully open and the top goes on in like its supposed to. Closing has always worked without a problem.

Somebody had mentioned the bands up stream. I thought maybe when the top was pulled back by the bands it “pushed” on something to make the tonneau go. This is my first convertible not including a Jeep Wrangler.