Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

350Z Roadster vs. BMW Z4

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2004, 09:44 AM
To350ZorZ4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 350Z Roadster vs. BMW Z4

I've been a BMW fan for a few years and currently drive a 328. Time for a new ride and I am torn between the BMW Z4 and the 350Z convertable. Has anyone had this same dilemna? Does anyone have an unbiased opinion. I know the unbiased part may be difficult since you're all probably huge Z fans. BTW, the Z4 is about $10k to $12k more and is a part of my decision but not all.

Thanks for the unbiased opinions!
Old 02-29-2004, 09:53 AM
onii

if i had that 12k i'd get the z4 b/c of preference to the looks and the nice BMW emblem =)

but u cant go wrong either way....it just comes down to personal preference.
Old 02-29-2004, 09:58 AM
jackie chan

easy, the z4 is a womans car. Are you a lady?
Old 02-29-2004, 10:01 AM
To350ZorZ4

Originally posted by jackie chan
easy, the z4 is a womans car. Are you a lady?
Woman's car? That's the first time I've heard that one. I know some people don't like the looks of the Z4, but why a "Women's car"?
Old 02-29-2004, 10:12 AM
hrohawg

Default Re: 350Z Roadster vs. BMW Z4

Originally posted by To350ZorZ4
I've been a BMW fan for a few years and currently drive a 328. Time for a new ride and I am torn between the BMW Z4 and the 350Z convertable. Has anyone had this same dilemna? Does anyone have an unbiased opinion. I know the unbiased part may be difficult since you're all probably huge Z fans. BTW, the Z4 is about $10k to $12k more and is a part of my decision but not all.

Thanks for the unbiased opinions!

Although I had two previous 300ZXs, I also looked closely at the 3.0l Z4 to compare apples to apples performance wise. Here is what caused me to choose the 350ZR:
1) Yep, 10k more cost for a comparable Z4.
2) Wind control - the Z4 will blow you out of the cockpit compared to the 350Z. The 350s rear wind blocker really works. There is a nylon 'Wind diffuser' available for the Z4 but it looks really Mickey Mouse on such an expensive car.
3) Controls - If you are already a BMW fan, this is probably no big deal but I prefer the simplicity of the controls in the 350 compared to the BMW. I can never figure out all of the little iconic buttons in any BMW, I prefer a button that says CD, Radio, Tape, etc.
4) Local Dealer - My local Nissan dealer is 2 miles away and the closest BMW dealer is 70. That particular BMW dealer has very poor customer service based on the experiences of several friends that have dealt with them. They lie....habitually. Obviously, your results in this area may vary.
5) I really like the hard toneau as well as the general styling a little better on the 350Z. This is a matter of taste.

In my research and drives, the two cars are very comparable as long as you are buying the 3.0l version of the Z4. The 2.5l version doesn't hold a candle to the 350Z so you'll have to pony up the dollars to keep the performance comparable.

FWIW......
Old 02-29-2004, 10:28 AM
To350ZorZ4

Default Re: Re: 350Z Roadster vs. BMW Z4

Originally posted by hrohawg
Although I had two previous 300ZXs, I also looked closely at the 3.0l Z4 to compare apples to apples performance wise. Here is what caused me to choose the 350ZR:
1) Yep, 10k more cost for a comparable Z4.
2) Wind control - the Z4 will blow you out of the cockpit compared to the 350Z. The 350s rear wind blocker really works. There is a nylon 'Wind diffuser' available for the Z4 but it looks really Mickey Mouse on such an expensive car.
3) Controls - If you are already a BMW fan, this is probably no big deal but I prefer the simplicity of the controls in the 350 compared to the BMW. I can never figure out all of the little iconic buttons in any BMW, I prefer a button that says CD, Radio, Tape, etc.
4) Local Dealer - My local Nissan dealer is 2 miles away and the closest BMW dealer is 70. That particular BMW dealer has very poor customer service based on the experiences of several friends that have dealt with them. They lie....habitually. Obviously, your results in this area may vary.
5) I really like the hard toneau as well as the general styling a little better on the 350Z. This is a matter of taste.

In my research and drives, the two cars are very comparable as long as you are buying the 3.0l version of the Z4. The 2.5l version doesn't hold a candle to the 350Z so you'll have to pony up the dollars to keep the performance comparable.

FWIW......
Thanks for the info. The main point I get from your comments is the better wind control with the 350ZR. That can be huge! Your other points are subjective from person to person. Do you have any comment about build quality? I've was surprisingly impressed with the quality of my BMW and am afraid to end up with something less solid or problematic. Did you struggle with the "BMW" vs. "Nissan" difference. I hate to say BMW is a status symbol, but that's the reality of it. Of course, you pay for it don't you.

Thanks again, your input is exactly what I was looking for. If you got more, lay it on me.
Old 02-29-2004, 10:32 AM
hrohawg

Default Re: Re: Re: 350Z Roadster vs. BMW Z4

Originally posted by To350ZorZ4
Thanks for the info. The main point I get from your comments is the better wind control with the 350ZR. That can be huge! Your other points are subjective from person to person. Do you have any comment about build quality? I've was surprisingly impressed with the quality of my BMW and am afraid to end up with something less solid or problematic. Did you struggle with the "BMW" vs. "Nissan" difference. I hate to say BMW is a status symbol, but that's the reality of it. Of course, you pay for it don't you.

Thanks again, your input is exactly what I was looking for. If you got more, lay it on me.
You asked.... and, I was editing my previous post while you were replying as well.

More........

6) The fit and finish (particularly the finish) of the BMW is better but that is what you are paying some of the extra money for.
7) Interior room - the 350Z feels wider.
8) Roll bars look very much more integrated - the Z4 bars are too angular and too tall for my taste.
9) Lastly, if you ever got upside down in either of these cars, your survivability is better in the 350Z as there is much more car up around you on all sides. From any direction, you will see only the drivers head in a 350ZR. In a Z4, you will see his head and shoulders in comparison. I like my chances better in any accident in my 350ZR. Granted, the Z4 puts you more 'in the open air' but that comes with a decrease in safety.
Old 02-29-2004, 10:48 AM
hrohawg

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: 350Z Roadster vs. BMW Z4

As for wresting with the Nissan/BMW question, I had exactly the same concerns as you have. I have several friends with various BMWs, including 2 Z4s ,both 2.5L. There was some peer pressure to choose the Z4 but when it came down to it, the 350ZR is more a sports car than the Z4 which is more a sports tourer. The BMW is more refined, more sophisticated but that's not what I wanted, I wanted more a true sports car. I was willing to give up a little in ride quality for better response from the chassis.

As far as looks go, here's where I came down....
The Z4 top looks like a classic british roadster, fairly chopped off in the back (as viewed from the side) and higher in back than in front. The 350ZR top looks (yes, this is subjective) more like it was part of the original design of the car (as it, in fact, was).
The Z4 doe not require you to latch/unlatch anything to put the top up or down, it's one button. The ZR has a center latch to deal with.

Now to the really subjective stuff.....
After considering both, the creases in the sheetmetal of the Z4 just didn't grab me over the long haul (I pondered my decision for 2 months).

If you take side view pictures of both cars, properly scaled, you will see that the Z4 is more the 'classic' roadster with a longer hood. That pushes the driver back toward the rear wheels. I like the ZR driver postition right in the middle of the wheelbase. The Front/Rear weight balance is better in the ZR when that is combined with the 'front mid-engine' engine placement.

Bottom line: If you just want to cruise the streets in a 'stylin' mode and the prestige of the BMW name means alot to you, the Z4 is the car for you, no question. The fit and finish of the Z4 is better than the ZR but not by much. Mostly in the interior materials/finishes. If you go for a more performance slant where performance and safety is more an issue, the ZR is the better car.

Because my Nissan dealer is better/closer than the BMW dealer, I also decides that quality wise, I would deal with any of the quality issues that you may have read about on this board. My BMW buddies also had a few issues and were not immune.

If you have other questions, post em... I'll give em my best shot.

Last edited by hrohawg; 02-29-2004 at 10:56 AM.
Old 02-29-2004, 11:15 AM
jackie chan

I just think that the small benz/beamer vert contingent has always been geared toward women and that's generally who I see driving the two. The z IMO is much more masculine and will be a better looking car throughout the years just as the last 300z was.
Old 02-29-2004, 11:23 AM
To350ZorZ4

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 350Z Roadster vs. BMW Z4

As for wresting with the Nissan/BMW question, I had exactly the same concerns as you have. I have several friends with various BMWs, including 2 Z4s ,both 2.5L. There was some peer pressure to choose the Z4 but when it came down to it, the 350ZR is more a sports car than the Z4 which is more a sports tourer. The BMW is more refined, more sophisticated but that's not what I wanted, I wanted more a true sports car. I was willing to give up a little in ride quality for better response from the chassis.

As far as looks go, here's where I came down....
The Z4 top looks like a classic british roadster, fairly chopped off in the back (as viewed from the side) and higher in back than in front. The 350ZR top looks (yes, this is subjective) more like it was part of the original design of the car (as it, in fact, was).
The Z4 doe not require you to latch/unlatch anything to put the top up or down, it's one button. The ZR has a center latch to deal with.

Now to the really subjective stuff.....
After considering both, the creases in the sheetmetal of the Z4 just didn't grab me over the long haul (I pondered my decision for 2 months).

If you take side view pictures of both cars, properly scaled, you will see that the Z4 is more the 'classic' roadster with a longer hood. That pushes the driver back toward the rear wheels. I like the ZR driver postition right in the middle of the wheelbase. The Front/Rear weight balance is better in the ZR when that is combined with the 'front mid-engine' engine placement.

Bottom line: If you just want to cruise the streets in a 'stylin' mode and the prestige of the BMW name means alot to you, the Z4 is the car for you, no question. The fit and finish of the Z4 is better than the ZR but not by much. Mostly in the interior materials/finishes. If you go for a more performance slant where performance and safety is more an issue, the ZR is the better car.

Because my Nissan dealer is better/closer than the BMW dealer, I also decides that quality wise, I would deal with any of the quality issues that you may have read about on this board. My BMW buddies also had a few issues and were not immune.

If you have other questions, post em... I'll give em my best shot.
Wow, thanks again for all the comment.

That's comendable that you didn't cave into the peer pressure from your friends. I hope I can do the same.

You have pretty much confirmed a lot of what I was thinking. I need to go do the test drives and perhaps that will sway me one direction or the other. I just hate dealers and the whole test drive process. Such a big decision to make from a 15 minute test drive. In fact, I found a place that rents the Z4 for $180 a day. I think I might do that to get a real feel for the beast.

Your safety comments surprise me. BMW is known for safety. I know what you mean about being lower in the vehicle. I sat in the 350ZR at the car show and almost felt like it was too low. Only my head stuck out. I guess you get used to it.

I am more the "cruisin' the streets in a stylin' mode" kinda guy. Had the fast cars and they can get you into trouble. But, I do like the 350ZR and it is worth serious consideration. Seems to be the better value overall.

I think I am going to post this same question over at www.bimmer.org (which is not www.roadfly.org. Let's see if I can get a war started.

Thanks again! Sounds like you struggled with this one for a while just like me.
Old 02-29-2004, 11:37 AM
To350ZorZ4

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 350Z Roadster vs. BMW Z4

[QUOTE]Originally posted by To350ZorZ4
[B](which is not www.roadfly.org.

ooops, I meant "which is now www.roadfly.org"
Old 02-29-2004, 11:57 AM
hrohawg

Last comments from me.....

I bought my ZR for $500 over invoice (over $2000 off MSRP). The BMW dealer would not even discuss any discount on '04 models (they were offering $1000 off MSRP on their leftover 2003's however). While some large metro dealers are still asking over MSRP, there are some good buys available for the ZR, you just have to look for them and you may have to transport it or go pick it up yourself (which would be a fun trip for sure).

A fully-optioned z4 would have cost me about $13,000 more.. You are correct, the ZR is a better value because it has just as much and just as good a quality new car smell as the BMW

Good luck with your decision.
Old 02-29-2004, 12:06 PM
shimz350z

appearance info...z4 is gonna go out of style quick-first glance is good but the lines and curves are not going to last. The z3 are betting looking cars in my opinion. the z on the other hand has great curves and lines that it's going to be in style just like when you see the supra or rx7 on the road.

This is way before I purchased my z.
Old 02-29-2004, 01:17 PM
myinfinitig20

First question for you is did you drive both cars? The Z is alot more fun to drive, due to the torque and huge advantage in hp. It felt more alive. Second of all, what's this car for? Are you going to be going in canyon runs, street races, cruising the beach, bla bla bla. They are two totally different cars. I once again would say that the Z is alot more sportier and you feel alot safer driving it so it inspires a nice confidecne level when taking some turns. Are you planning on modding your car? Z has much more potential in terms of performance then teh z4. Is money an issue? You save a whole lot when purchasing a Z, especially on maintance & insurance rate. My friend in his 328i rear ended someone at 5mph and had 5,000 $ worth of damage. On the other hand the z4 has its pluses. It's more luxurious, its more unique looking ( not really a posative or negative thing.) I would get a z but you are on a z board and we all obviously got our z for a reason.

Oh yea dont think of it as Nissan vs BMW because its not. Its Z vs Z4. I've lost count over the amounts of praise and compliments and awards won by the Z. I have yet to see one great review or even a good review of the z4. Many people do not like the styling of that car. It is a bmw **** up to most. While the Z is the Nissan Savior.
Old 02-29-2004, 01:40 PM
hrohawg

Z owners, if you want to see a BMW board response to Kevin's (to350zorz4) situation, see:
http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/e85/4730533-1.html
Old 02-29-2004, 07:36 PM
Zeenut

I tried both. The delarships are side by side in my town and I drove the cars back to back. The ZR had more room and I prefered the way the tonneau completely covers the folded top on the ZR. The dealer was offering the 2.5L Z4 at about the same price of a nicely equipped ZR so price was not a factor. It came down to cost of maintenance and design. The Bangle -designed Z4 is meeting some buyer resistance especially with all the new roadsters coming out over the next several years. This does not bode well for resale and the big dealer discount on the Z4 made me wonder. The 3.5L ZR engine has been around for quite a while and it is near bullet proof. Nissan maintenance will definitely be less if my experience with German cars holds true. For me, the choice was the ZR.
Old 02-29-2004, 07:54 PM
theSmoothDome

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Z owners, if you want to see a BMW board response to Kevin's (to350zorz4) situation, see:
http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/e85/4730533-1.html

Interesting responses over there. Guess that's why there are so many different kinds of cars out there. Personally, the Z4 just bores me. There's nothing interesting about it to me. One response got me thinking though. One guy said he prefered the Z4 because the top was easier to drop. Ok, we have 1 friggin latch. How lazy do you have to be to think that's too much work. Ahh well, the more Z4s out there, the more peoples' jaws will drop when I roll by. I love being in a "unique" looking car.

Last edited by theSmoothDome; 02-29-2004 at 08:01 PM.
Old 02-29-2004, 08:03 PM
hrohawg

Originally posted by theSmoothDome
Interesting responses over there. Guess that's why there are so many different kinds of cars out there. Personally, the Z4 just bores me. There's nothing interesting about it to me. One response got me thinking though. One guy said he prefered the Z4 because the top was easier to drop. Ok, we have 1 friggin latch. How lazy do you have to be to think that's too much work. Ahh well, the more Z4s out there, the more peoples' jaws will drop when I roll by. I love being in a "unique" looking car.
I'm with you Smooth.
Old 02-29-2004, 09:10 PM
Rushguy

I could have gotten the Z4 for around the same price as my ZR with nothing in it. After adding all the options I wanted the price grew to 52k lol Anyway I really don't like the way they look at all, now that really expensive Bmw 2 seater..forgot what its called, thats a friggin car.
Old 03-01-2004, 03:44 AM
Whataguy5431

Default Angles vs Curves

I'm with rushguy, the Z4 was my first choice when I first started looking for a fun, weekend toy. But he's right, with the options that you would really want, it was about 14K more than the Z I wanted. But the really big difference was the lines of the Z4 are too sharp and angled for my taste, the Z is just more rounded, curvy and sexy.

Nothing against the Z4 at all, its a great well built car, just not my choice. My ultimate sports car would be an A/C Cobra original (but I don't have $200K to buy it) and I think the Z gets closer to that than the Z4 does.

Quick Reply: 350Z Roadster vs. BMW Z4