Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

Raggtopp and Splotches

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2004, 05:36 PM
theSmoothDome

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Raggtopp and Splotches

Ok, I put two coats of Raggtopp's fabric protectant on the top and now I have splotches where I obviously applied it too heavily. How can I get rid of these?
Old 04-04-2004, 12:06 AM
SeanG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Switch to the vinyl Raggtop.
Old 04-04-2004, 03:13 AM
EddieJr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Use a microfiber towel. That will even it out.
Old 04-04-2004, 10:32 AM
DeZigner

Originally posted by SeanG
Switch to the vinyl Raggtop.
This isn't really the answer. As you yourself said, the problem is that you put it on too heavy. Unfortunately, I must admit, that I don't know what to do after the heavy spots dry.

Wish I could help.
Old 04-04-2004, 05:38 PM
AndyB

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default heavy

If you applied the stuff heavily to the whole top wouldn;t it at least be even?
Old 04-08-2004, 11:09 AM
ciramjo

I posted this elsewhere, but it's a critical issue for us, so I think it's worth repeating here:

I asked Wolfstein's, the folks that make the highly acclaimed Raggtopp products what are tops are made of and which Raggtopp product we should be using and got this very interesting response from Rick Goldstein at Raggtopp:

John,

Thank you, for taking the time to inquire about RAGGTOPP products for your Nissan 350Z Roadster. Your convertible top has the unique appearance of looking like fabric. However, Nissan 350Z top is vinyl and you should only use RAGGTOPP Cleaner and RAGGTOPP Vinyl Protestant without harmful silicone.

RAGGTOPP Vinyl Protestant can also be used on the interior of your car. It’s very important that you do not use any products that contains silicone on your top, dash, side door panels and tires.

RAGGTOPP products have been tested and endorsed by The Haartz Corporation, the world’s leading manufacturer of convertible topping for virtually every American and European convertible automobile throughout the world. www.harrtz.com

Please find the attached instructions for vinyl convertible tops. If you have any questions or need additional information, please do not hesitate to call us at (800) 377-4700.

Rick
Old 04-08-2004, 01:02 PM
Keo

Default 303

303 protectant worked like a champ for me. Use it after washing.

303 Aerospace Protectant keeps UV-sensitive materials “like new” year after year. Use on Rubber: Tires, neoprene, latex, door and trunk seals, weather-stripping, EPDM rubber roofs, CV boots, waders, wet suits. Vinyl: Convertible tops (and the clear vinyl windows), isinglass, marine seating, tonneau covers, car bras, covers, spa covers, pool covers.
Old 04-08-2004, 02:27 PM
z0ner

Default Re: 303

Originally posted by Keo
Another die-hard 303 user here. It goes on nice and even - no splotches. I just wish there was something I could put on the top to make it appear glossy and "wet".
Old 04-08-2004, 04:44 PM
mode101

Default Re: 303

Originally posted by Keo

303 Aerospace Protectant keeps UV-sensitive materials “like new” year after year. Use on Rubber: Tires, neoprene, latex, door and trunk seals, weather-stripping, EPDM rubber roofs, CV boots, waders, wet suits. Vinyl: Convertible tops (and the clear vinyl windows), isinglass, marine seating, tonneau covers, car bras, covers, spa covers, pool covers.
does 303 wash off when it rains ? what does it look like after a rain storm ? splotchy ?
Old 04-09-2004, 07:02 AM
Keo

Default Re: Re: 303

Originally posted by mode101
does 303 wash off when it rains ? what does it look like after a rain storm ? splotchy ?
No, it does not wash off after rain. It will bead the rain and roll it off. It is not splotchy either. It makes the top look awesome, not shiny but brand new. We have had a lot of oak pollen lately and I notice that it even seems to repel the pollen where my hood will be covered.
Old 04-09-2004, 02:56 PM
ciramjo

303 makes two products, one for canvas and one for vinyl. Which one are you guys using?
I asked 303 for advise and here's what Roger Dyer at 303 had to say:

Hello John and thanks for the email.

We can certainly advise you of proper care for both vinyl and fabric convertible topping.

If your dealer cannot tell you what type of topping yours is, nor can you get this information from the mfg, drop by a local auto trim shop and ask a technician there to tell you whether your topping is acrylic canvas(fabric) or vinyl. You must make this determination because maintenance regimens for these are not the same.

At the following link, click on and review the GREEN brochure for proper care of acrylic canvas (fabric auto convertible topping), the BLUE brochure for proper care of vinyl (including vinyl topping) and clear vinyl windows. And notice if you have a fabric top all that is required at this time if your car is new (and the chemical finish on the fabric is still beading radically) is KNOWLEDGE. (Eventually you will need to clean and and then retreat the topping with the proper product (303 High Tech Fabric Guard)...but no protective or specialized care products are needed initially).

If you have a vinyl top, you need knowledge and to start using 303 A. Protectant from the first. To protect the vinyl material from soiling, staining and long-term UV damage.

Please contact me if 303 Products, Inc. can assist further. email or 1 800 223-4303.

http://www.303products.com/main.php?infopage=techfacts
Regards,

R. K. Dyer
Old 04-09-2004, 04:39 PM
Keo

I have not been using either one (blue, green) of the 303 cleaners. I have been spot cleaning with a sail and canvas cleaner and a toothbrush and using a good car wash. I'm using the blue label protectant for vinyl.
Old 04-11-2004, 04:37 PM
ciramjo

Thanks Keo - I think I need to investigate this further

John