Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

Manumatic misses downshift

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2004, 09:57 PM
seaside

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Manumatic misses downshift

About a month ago I bought a 2004 350Z with an manumatic (automatic) transmission. The tranny seems to work fine in auto mode...and there is no clunking noise in manual mode as others have posted.

However, when I am in manual mode, unless I downshift somewhere between slowly and very slowly, it usually doesn't make the shift on the first try (4th to 3rd or 3rd to 2nd). This happens occasionally upshifting, but downshifting it is essentially chronic.

Has anyone else had this experience? Is this normal?
Old 08-02-2004, 03:53 AM
LemanZ

Yes, I have the same problem too while I try to downshift. I would say is the ECU not allow you to downshift while your rpm is too high to protect the engine, unlike the real 6MT, you can downshift at any point
Old 08-02-2004, 12:07 PM
CTBZR

This has happens to me too...

Downshifting only, never have any issues upshifting...
Old 08-02-2004, 07:08 PM
zmann

Is that a Colgan bra on that silver Z? Looks great...I like the extra protetion on the hood not offered by the Nissan bra. srm

Originally posted by LemanZ
Yes, I have the same problem too while I try to downshift. I would say is the ECU not allow you to downshift while your rpm is too high to protect the engine, unlike the real 6MT, you can downshift at any point
Old 08-02-2004, 09:32 PM
shopdog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by LemanZ
That's the idea, though it isn't the ECU doing it. It is an internal governor in the transmission. Almost all automatic transmissions have this sort of governor. If you were to downshift a 67 Chevy turbo-hydramatic at too high a speed, it wouldn't shift until the car slowed enough to make it safe, then it would shift. With the manumatic in the Z, it won't wait then shift on its own. It just blocks the shift and makes you try it again when the speed is more reasonable.
Old 08-02-2004, 10:52 PM
seaside

Thanks. I hear what you folks are saying, but I am not sure its quite right. I am going to make note of my speed when I try to downshift and have this problem. I am certain I am nowhere near red lining the engine.
Old 08-03-2004, 12:03 PM
ShaftEd

It may be a timing issue. The manumatic does not seem to like multiple quick downshifts, even if both shifts are well under redline. The only way I can get two quick immediate downshifts is to be in "D", do the flip over to Manual, which gets you 4th, and then do a quick tap to 3rd and it works fast. However, try that same thing by going from manual 5th, to 4th, and then to 3rd and you need to give it a bit more time between shifts.

This is one reason I never cruise on the open road in 5th manual. If I need a quick way to get to 3rd, it's faster to be in "D", flip the lever, and tap down to 3rd. Pretty amazing how quick you can get to 3rd that way.
Old 08-03-2004, 09:28 PM
kosta157

is there anyway that i could screw up my transmission downshifting? i have never had a problem when i downshift from 4th to 3rd on the freeway but yet i do it from d->manual->3rd
Old 08-05-2004, 10:57 AM
ShaftEd

Originally posted by kosta157
is there anyway that i could screw up my transmission downshifting? i have never had a problem when i downshift from 4th to 3rd on the freeway but yet i do it from d->manual->3rd
I don't see how doing a d>manual>3rd could cause a problem as long as don't over rev the engine and the computer won't let you do that.

Of course you are only doing this type of thing on the rare occasion you really need to accelerate hard, but it does work.
Old 08-05-2004, 12:08 PM
SungNamZ

I have a 90 degree corner I enjoy taking when someone is on my azz. Can't downshift to 2nd if speed is above 60 mph.
Old 08-05-2004, 03:17 PM
Aggro_Al

Originally posted by SungNamZ
I have a 90 degree corner I enjoy taking when someone is on my azz. Can't downshift to 2nd if speed is above 60 mph.
64 MPH is the max speed in gear for 2nd on the 6MT. 60 MPH on the 5AT in 2nd might be right at the limit or just over it. The computer probably won't let you do it and if it did the rev limiter would kick-in and cut your throttle.