Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

NAV system failure

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2004, 01:04 PM
Maccamera

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NAV system failure

I was driving along when suddenly my NAV system froze in one spot. I figured since it's a computer it just needed to be re-booted, so I turned the car off and restarted it. Then, it came up as a 'disc error' on the screen and that's all it would say. When I took it to the dealer, they said that this is the first instance of this ever occuring at their dealership. I ejected the disc in the DVD drive, but the problem persisted. They told me that my entire NAV system has to be replaced!! There is no charge, but, I don't want them to open up my dash if only the drive and not the whole system needs to be replaced. To me, that's just a recipe for rattles down the road. Has anyone else encountered this??
Old 11-04-2004, 10:27 PM
Teez Zee

Default Re: NAV system failure

There isn't anything in the dash that would cause the problem that you describe (probably). They should replace the dvd/navi box behind the driver seat and not touch the dash. Even then, it woldn't be the display, it might be the keypad assembly.

On the other hand my automatic door sticks. They think that they need to replace the whole door assembly because it binds at the top middle of the door. A little pressure at that point causes the door to open freely.

It looks like the dealers just like to take the car apart because they haven't enough experience with troubleshooting the real problem. IMHO
Old 11-05-2004, 12:06 AM
ragZ

Default Re: NAV system failure

Originally posted by Maccamera
I was driving along when suddenly my NAV system froze in one spot. I figured since it's a computer it just needed to be re-booted, so I turned the car off and restarted it. Then, it came up as a 'disc error' on the screen and that's all it would say. When I took it to the dealer, they said that this is the first instance of this ever occuring at their dealership. I ejected the disc in the DVD drive, but the problem persisted. They told me that my entire NAV system has to be replaced!! There is no charge, but, I don't want them to open up my dash if only the drive and not the whole system needs to be replaced. To me, that's just a recipe for rattles down the road. Has anyone else encountered this??
I had this happen a couple of times. Go by a good CD cleaning kit and give it a try.
Worked for me!!
Old 11-06-2004, 10:22 PM
Maccamera

Thanks for the responses. Yeah, I kicked out the DVD a couple of times and the problem persisted. Then, the other day the system just started working again on its own. I just assumed the techs at the dealer did a proper diagnosic, but, that could be a bad assumption.
Old 11-07-2004, 03:39 PM
zmann

Default Nav system & Door

I've had the problem with the Nav system not in my roadster but in our FX45. It was reading disc error, as well. I pulled out the disc, cleaned it, and the problem persisted. They replaced the nav system. In our Z's, they are behind the drivers seat...that is all that will be replaced.

I also have the problem with the sticking automatic door...does just as was described earlier..sticks about mid way through closing and I have to pull it on out for it to come down. However, I've had an issue with this door for a year and it has taken a third attempt to get the dealer to order the unit. They will be replacing the door assembly. Don't know your build date, but mine is 8/03 and I was told they had problms with the early auto units. My problem first appeared when the door would open, but not make contact for the screen to come on, or, I could be driving, hit a bump, and the screen would go blank. So, my new door unit is on order and hopefully that little problem will be resolved. I really would almost prefer to the door to be manually opened and closed, but oh well.

Good luck...and do be thankful the repair is under warranty! The nav system itself is about $2k!!

srm
Old 11-11-2004, 06:38 AM
KingofScion

Was it humid on the days your DVD disk wouldn't read? I used to have a lot of GMs on my lot and it seemed like ALL of them would have DISK ERRORs on the Cd player if it was humid.

Omer.
Old 11-11-2004, 06:44 AM
zmann

No, it wasn't. It was an intermittent problem. Matter of fact, when I took it in for service once the part was in, it was working. Appears that there are some general problems showing up now that these units have been on the road awhile. Interestingly, I had nav in my 02 Maxima that I drove for 2 years and never had one problem at all; it was a CD based system. Like anything, it's fairly new technology I guess and the stresses of a unit like that being in a car I guess haven't all been completely worked out. My concern is what happens when we are out of our warranty! These units are quite expensive! Anyway, good luck with the repair, and just know that you aren't the only one!
Old 11-15-2004, 09:05 AM
Beaker02

Mine froze once in a year and a half. I had to shut the car off and restart to get it to reboot. All has been well sence.
Old 11-17-2004, 08:39 PM
Maccamera

Default repaired

Well, the dealer just installed a new one a so far no problems. Luckily, it's a pretty quick swap out according to them. It took less time than putting in a radio since the part of the system that was bad was all behind the drivers seat.
Old 11-26-2004, 04:36 PM
eylarson

My NAV system has gone blank a couple of times. After many attempts, new drive, new screen, they finally replaced a microswitch connected to the door. Worked fine for about four months, now my door is sticking as it closes.
Old 11-26-2004, 05:08 PM
zmann

mine was stuck again today and I literally had to force it back in (that awful ratchety sound that makes you think you are tearing it up) and then restart the car and help to pull it out. called my dealer and asked AGAIN about the part I've literally been waiting on for a year to fix it...I was on eternal hold, than told they'd call me back. do you think I got a call back? Now I'm getting mad. I was quite happy with the manual door that was on my enthusiast. I don't know why they felt like we needed a motorized door. it is nothing but trouble!
Old 12-24-2004, 09:42 AM
Maccamera

Default follow up

Well, a few days after I had the NAV system replaced, I noticed a new rattle that only occurred when the NAV door was open. Took it back to the dealer and the service manager that I delt with called out his lead technician. He said, 'rattles are weird and hard to duplicate, so take my tech out for a test drive and show him exactly what is making the sound'. While driving with the tech, I discovered that the service manager told him that my cd player, not my NAV system had been replaced. The tech said this is the reason he likes to talk directly to customers. Anyway, I got the car to make the rattle to show him what it was. Afew hours later, my car was done, apparantly there was a bundle of cables with a tie taht were making the rattle. The point, no charge, rattle gone, NAV working!