Notices
370Z Maintenance & Repair 370Z upkeep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Weird Sound from my Gear Box. Need Help please.

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2024, 09:57 AM
Kopala

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird Sound from my Gear Box. Need Help please.

Hello, I need help guys.

I've noticed a sound coming from the gearbox.

The sound you hear in the video is enhanced; in reality, it is not that loud. If you are listening to music or have the windows rolled down, you won't hear it.

Strangely, the sound is not always present, but there are times when you can hear it. When I start driving, I don't hear anything while shifting through the first four gears. Once I get to the 5th gear, I start hearing the sound. If I shift to the 6th gear I keep hearing it, after that point if I shift back to the 4th, 3rd, 2nd, or 1st gear, even in neutral, I sometimes hear it but it's not as loud. The loudness of the sound changes depending on the gear, being the loudest in the 5th and 6th gears.

My mechanic has no clue what the problem is, and I don't want to take apart the gearbox to find out what's wrong unless it is absolutely necessary.

One important thing to note: I've recently changed my A/C and painted the interior. We had to remove the interior and then reassemble it. I don't know if it's a freak coincidence or not, but I started hearing this sound on the very first day I brought my car home from the mechanic's place. He says it has nothing to do with the work he did, but I thought I'd share it anyway.

You won't understand anything what I am saying in the video but what I am saying is that there is different sounds in different gears.
Attached Files
File Type: mov
Gearbox Sound N1.mov (8.46 MB, 6 views)
File Type: mov
Gearbox Sound N2.mov (4.58 MB, 2 views)
Old 07-09-2024, 08:37 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 3,302 Likes on 2,350 Posts

Originally Posted by Kopala
Hello, I need help guys.

I've noticed a sound coming from the gearbox.

The sound you hear in the video is enhanced; in reality, it is not that loud. If you are listening to music or have the windows rolled down, you won't hear it.

Strangely, the sound is not always present, but there are times when you can hear it. When I start driving, I don't hear anything while shifting through the first four gears. Once I get to the 5th gear, I start hearing the sound. If I shift to the 6th gear I keep hearing it, after that point if I shift back to the 4th, 3rd, 2nd, or 1st gear, even in neutral, I sometimes hear it but it's not as loud. The loudness of the sound changes depending on the gear, being the loudest in the 5th and 6th gears.

My mechanic has no clue what the problem is, and I don't want to take apart the gearbox to find out what's wrong unless it is absolutely necessary.

One important thing to note: I've recently changed my A/C and painted the interior. We had to remove the interior and then reassemble it. I don't know if it's a freak coincidence or not, but I started hearing this sound on the very first day I brought my car home from the mechanic's place. He says it has nothing to do with the work he did, but I thought I'd share it anyway.

You won't understand anything what I am saying in the video but what I am saying is that there is different sounds in different gears.

NOT opening an attached, strange file. And I encourage others not to do so from this site, not with all the spammers who all think everyone here needs "dates with real women".

Describe it or post on YT.
The following users liked this post:
travlee (07-10-2024)
Old 07-13-2024, 05:10 AM
Kopala

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MicVelo
NOT opening an attached, strange file. And I encourage others not to do so from this site, not with all the spammers who all think everyone here needs "dates with real women".

Describe it or post on YT.
It's a video file that this website accepts. The iPhone uses "mov" format nothing is weird there.