Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

My Build: The Good, The Bad & The Progress

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 06:23 PM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My Build: The Good, The Bad & The Progress

I bought an 05 Z in April of this with a TN Single already installed. Shortly after purchasing my new toy the previous owner suggested this site as a useful way to gain knowledge about my car and meet people with similar interests, he was very right. Having sold a C4 Corvette to purchase my Z, I could not have been happier, but then it happened like it does to many of us....I rode in another Z that was much faster and my new toy did not seem as special as it once was (thanks Jon).

After some careful thought I decided that my Z was a keeper and I wanted to make it special. This thread will detail all of the steps I have taken, and will take over the next 6-12 months to turn my somewhat sedate TN Single into what will hopefully be a 600+whp TT Beast. I am not completely focused on a dyno number, but a goal needed to be set, so that's what I have chosen.

I plan on doing my thread a little different than most in that I will be mixing in new and used parts almost exclusively from forum members/vendors and will post as many of the prices/costs as I can as they are incurred throughout my build. I will also be relying on the great depth of knowledge that the forum provides from its many experienced members and hope to give credit for guidance and ideas to members as they help me out with decisions/problems. I will post the good and the bad, sharing wrong decisions made and/or money poorly spent so others may avoid making the same mistakes I have made (and will make in the future). Maybe my thread is valid, or maybe it becomes a joke, but either way here it goes:

It all starts HERE: https://my350z.com/forum/engine/3851...ong-block.html

Engine is VQ35DE use for 100 miles.

- Arias Low Compression Piston Overbore 0.020 over
- Ferrea Heavy Duty Valve Springs
- Ferrea Titanium Retainers
- Ferrea Valve Spring Locators
- Ferrea Valve Locks
- Tomei Connecting Rod
- Rev-Up Oil Pump
- Tomei Camshaft
- HKS Metal Head Gasket
- Solid Motor Mount
- Unorthodox Pulley
- JWT Oil Pan Spacer
- ARP L19 Head and Main stud kit.
- Greddy L7 Spark Plugs
- Ingalls Engine Damper

Other things include:
Block inspected and cleaned
Block redecked
Block Bored and Honed using a Torque Plate
Rotating assembly balanced
Crank magnafluxed and the journals micro-polished
Cosworth main bearings installed
Cosworth rod bearings installed
Heads inspected and cleaned
Heads redecked
Ported exhaust and intake runners
3 angle valve job
New OEM Valve stem seals installed
Valve Stem Heights set

Engine is completely built by professional machined shop. Been tested only for 100 miles and everything is working Perfect. GTM tuned my car. Engine is capable of handling more than 500HP with Greddy kit or APS kit. This is a complete solution for all turbo 350Z. I also include alot of free parts such as pulley, solid motor mount and etc. All you need is just drop the engine.

Im selling everything for $5000 OBO. And the good thing is that you can keep your engine too. Because I dont need any core return or etc. A job similar to this will cost me over $7000, because to built this engine cost me $7200. Due all the parts that I use are high end brand name. I will also give one month warranty. So any issues other than blowing up the motor, I will give full refund. I can say this because the engine have been tested and we found no issues at all. The engine run really smooth. And anybody who get this engine will be very lucky. I thought I wanted to keep it, but due to bad financial circumstances I need to let it go, after only 100 miles being with it.
Old 11-25-2008, 06:27 PM
SlideFox

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

In for the long haul....
Old 11-25-2008, 06:40 PM
Ep3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im in too! would like to see your progress.. sold your tn kit yet? make sure those arias pistons dont try to make love to your oil squirters...
Old 11-25-2008, 06:46 PM
Cass007
350Z-holic

I saw this motor listed in the classifieds and it had verything I was looking for and more. I had just missed out on a killer deal from another forum member (dank311) for a built longblock and was determined not to drag my feet and miss out again. Contact with the seller was smooth enough, but he was lacking some of the details I expected for a built motor. I let my excitement blind me and went through with the purchase anyway. The motor finally showed up after several excuses by the seller and a few weeks of delay after payment had been made. Final cost with shipping - $5250. I still thought I got a steal.

It should be noted at this time that I had dicussed my build plans with my tuner, Dave at F:T, and he recommended doing my build from start to finish at his shop. I considered it, but felt I was getting greater bang for the buck with all of the extras included on the other motor. I sent him a link so he could review the specs and he said that it looked good to handle the power I am shooting for and it came with a warranty, so I should be OK.

Lesson #1 - Always listen to your Tuner !!!
Old 11-25-2008, 06:50 PM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by Ep3
im in too! would like to see your progress.. sold your tn kit yet? make sure those arias pistons dont try to make love to your oil squirters...
TN Kit coming off in the spring and will be sold complete with everything except the reflash. Utec will hopefully be included in the sale.

My car goes up on jack stands for the winter after a final drive and wash tomorrow. There will be a lot going on with it this winter while it rests.
Old 11-25-2008, 06:51 PM
XKR

Originally Posted by SlideFox
In for the long haul....
Love to see how this turns out... keep it coming
Old 11-25-2008, 06:55 PM
SlideFox

Did you double check the motor after you got it??
Old 11-25-2008, 07:14 PM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Default The Motor

It all starts here and starts on a sour note. The for sale thread with the reality next to it in bold:

Engine is VQ35DE use for 100 miles.

- Arias Low Compression Piston Overbore 0.020 over - True - 8.5:1 verified by Arias
- Ferrea Heavy Duty Valve Springs
- Ferrea Titanium Retainers
- Ferrea Valve Spring Locators
- Ferrea Valve Locks - Valvetrain is definately aftermarket, assumption is that it is Ferrea (pics coming later)
- Tomei Connecting Rod - True - they are labled
- Rev-Up Oil Pump - True - verified by comparison
- Tomei Camshaft - Unknown - see here: https://my350z.com/forum/forced-indu...ssistance.html
- HKS Metal Head Gasket True - but with a catch
- Solid Motor Mount - True
- Unorthodox Pulley - True - but only one pulley (and it was bent), not the set of three you need
- JWT Oil Pan Spacer - True
- ARP L19 Head and Main stud kit - True
- Greddy L7 Spark Plugs True - but again a catch
- Ingalls Engine Damper - True

Other things include:
Block inspected and cleaned Cleaned yes, inspected NO!
Block redecked Again a negative
Block Bored and Honed using a Torque Plate Wait for the pics on this
Rotating assembly balanced Unknown
Crank magnafluxed and the journals micro-polished Negative
Cosworth main bearings installed True - but wait for pics
Cosworth rod bearings installed True
Heads inspected and cleaned Nope
Heads redecked Negative ghost rider!
Ported exhaust and intake runners Kinda true - something was done, just not very well
3 angle valve job Another miss
New OEM Valve stem seals installed True
Valve Stem Heights set That would be a NO

Engine is completely built by professional machined shop. No
Been tested only for 100 miles and everything is working Perfect. No
GTM tuned my car. No - story to follow
Engine is capable of handling more than 500HP with Greddy kit or APS kit. Eventually
This is a complete solution for all turbo 350Z. I also include alot of free parts such as pulley, solid motor mount and etc. All you need is just drop the engine. LIE, just a plain and simple lie.

Im selling everything for $5000 OBO. And the good thing is that you can keep your engine too. Because I dont need any core return or etc. A job similar to this will cost me over $7000, because to built this engine cost me $7200. Due all the parts that I use are high end brand name. I will also give one month warranty. So any issues other than blowing up the motor, I will give full refund. I can say this because the engine have been tested and we found no issues at all. The engine run really smooth. And anybody who get this engine will be very lucky. I thought I wanted to keep it, but due to bad financial circumstances I need to let it go, after only 100 miles being with it.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:18 PM
Ep3

well **** can only get better from here rite?
Old 11-25-2008, 07:29 PM
shocka04

Just curious why you didnt call GTM in the first place to verify the motor since you are now saying they didnt tune it?
Old 11-25-2008, 07:32 PM
SlideFox

So, long story short... is the motor sound?
Old 11-25-2008, 07:48 PM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by Ep3
well **** can only get better from here rite?
My thoughts exactly. When the motor showed up it had been spray painted a flat royal blue color all over the front timing cover and had some kind of racing stripe painted on the valve covers as well (I'm regretting not getting pics of this). While the motor was in transit, I had begun looking for a clutch and found what I needed here: https://my350z.com/forum/drivetrain/...fe-w-diff.html

DRIVETRAIN
• Carbonetic Twin Disc 1350kg Carbon Clutch w/ 9lb. Flywheel + NISMO Braided Steel Clutch Hose Selling Price = $1500
• Slight chatter (as expected) but has a nice "bite"
My Build: The Good, The Bad & The Progress-clutch.jpg

I hooked up with Karl (ibkarlito - a great guy) and he gave me a great deal on his clutch and even had new bolts overnighted because one broke a head off during disassembly - $1300. He also gave me a contact for a great Z/G mechanic in Baltimore that was only about an hour from my house:

For ANYONE that needs OUTSTANDING Service, Impeccable Customer Care, a Mechanic that has an abundant amount of Expertise and a Wealth of Knowledge accompanied with Competitive pricing - PLEASE SUPPORT THE CAUSE & CALL:

Frank Hill @ "Hill's Garage"
4700 Belle Grove Road Unit 15
Baltimore, MD 21225
410-636-5554 (P)
410-636-5558 (F)
Specializing in Nissan & Infiniti

A shameless plug, but Frank has been great to me and deserves it. Taking the motor to F:T was not an option for one reason, its appx 2.5 hrs away in light traffic and I wanted to be able to stay involved with the next steps.

The seller was unable to provide me with a build sheet after several requests, so I called Sam@GTM since that is who I was told had tuned the seller's car. I was hoping for a least a dyno sheet to verify some of the power numbers. Sam responded very quickly to my PM with his cell # and told me when I called that GTM attempted to tune the sellers car, but it filled the shop with smoke before they could get even one dyno pull in . Sam tells me that he is maybe 70% sure that it was the turbos that were the issue, but he cannot be certain (seller was also selling the turbo kit on this forum).

Lesson #2 - Documentation is a must!!
Old 11-25-2008, 07:50 PM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by SlideFox
So, long story short... is the motor sound?
Patience my friend, there is a story to tell here.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:59 PM
SlideFox

Originally Posted by Cass007
Patience my friend, there is a story to tell here.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:17 PM
Cass007
350Z-holic

I meet Karl at Frank Hill's Garage to pick up the clutch and have Frank do a quick examination of the motor. He does a leakdown test on the dry and cold motor and gets three cylinders at 3%, one at 5% and two at 8%. He tells me this is not bad, but would like to see less variance. When he pulls plugs, they are all completely black. Frank offers to pull a valve cover and check the valve clearances, they are within spec, but again all over the place from the low to high range. This is when we discover the mystery cams that we still are not sure what they are - after much help and input form many forum members, the general concencus is that they are the discontinued Tomei 268's. A special thanks to mchapman for sending me pics of his that showed many similar features.

I ask Frank to pull the oil pan to verify the bottom end components and we also agree to pull a head to verify the aftermarket valvetrain and reset valve clearances. This is what we found :

My Build: The Good, The Bad & The Progress-chris-s-350z-002.jpg My Build: The Good, The Bad & The Progress-chris-s-350z-003.jpg My Build: The Good, The Bad & The Progress-chris-s-350z-004.jpg

Some moron had sprayed copper coating for the gaskets all over everything! Frank recommends a complete teardown at this point and I agree.

Lots more coming tomorrow - I'm tired.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:40 PM
Cannysage

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

interesting story and developement bro. all of us in FI land has a story of some sort, so you're not alone. Keep it coming.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:44 PM
jtgli

In for the long haul as well. Im glad I could have inspired this so much ; ) haha. Deff want to ride in the beast once its done and see if I can get back into the ropes with you then.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:00 PM
Dynasty.Zero

Sucks bro but good luck and I hope she takes good care of you when it's all done.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:43 PM
350z006

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Is it time to throw the motor seller under the bus? I bet he didn't expect you to do such a thorough initial checkup of the engine...
Old 11-25-2008, 11:51 PM
Crom

....Jebus...

Quick Reply: My Build: The Good, The Bad & The Progress