Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

My Build: The Good, The Bad & The Progress

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 07:50 AM
Driven1
Professional

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

7500miles at 9-18psi (progressive in gears 1-3) with prob 6+ hours of track and drift time logged.

Last edited by Driven1; 04-06-2009 at 07:53 AM.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:08 AM
ajcool2

Sorry to hear about all this CASS. Im glad your going to stick with the project. If it were me I probably would have said F it and bought another car. Goodluck with everything.

PS: Those pic of those maxima head are from my boy Kevins car. He was spraying a 75 shot and ended up blowing his engine. Frank replaced it in 2 days ftw.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:26 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sylvan Lake V35
Best of luck I hope some **** can be saved...like the heads at least when guys cheap out you an always say well if you wouldnt have cheaped out on the oil pump or this or that it might not have broke but in your case you seemed to have done it all right and still things didnt work out thats when I think **** just sucks.
I thank you for noticing that I spared no expense to try and get the best components together and build it right the first (um...second) time. Unfortunately things didn't work out and I can only hope that Thursday brings good news. It was nice here this past weekend and warm sunny days without my Z are really bumming me out. Plus, with the new F&F movie out this past weekend it seems every ricer with an exhaust is out and looking to throw down.

Time frame may be the deciding factor on the re-build rather than money. I want my car back... NOW!! Even the turbos on the stock block will make me faster than 90% of the cars in my local area, but with the motor built I expect to be in the top 1~2%.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:56 AM
rrmedicx

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just FYI, I had a chance to look at another '03 Z having some cams installed and I was surprised to see some signs of wear on the seal on that cam cover. When I questioned the Nissan mechanic about how that particular seal gets beat up like that he simply stated that the cam gear has a cover bolted on by 4 bolts which you can see as soon as you remove the cam cover. Some might be mislead to believe that the cam gear is one solid unit but the face actually comes off. Is there any reason to remove it?absolutely NOT! If you did for some reason open it up you would be greeted by a large number of feather weight shims and tiny springs.
If you make the mistake of opening that cover and you r not careful enough to set it back perfectly straight, it will sit off alignment and will eat away at that seal. Which is what appears to have happened to you. Once that seal is damaged you will not be able to advance your timing. THAT ALL! There should be no major loss of oil pressure. Just the inability to make big power up on the top end. There is definitely more to this than meets the eye.
Hope this helps a bit.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:45 PM
Jay'Z
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cass007
I thank you for noticing that I spared no expense to try and get the best components together and build it right the first (um...second) time. Unfortunately things didn't work out and I can only hope that Thursday brings good news. It was nice here this past weekend and warm sunny days without my Z are really bumming me out. Plus, with the new F&F movie out this past weekend it seems every ricer with an exhaust is out and looking to throw down.

Time frame may be the deciding factor on the re-build rather than money. I want my car back... NOW!! Even the turbos on the stock block will make me faster than 90% of the cars in my local area, but with the motor built I expect to be in the top 1~2%.
Just buy an HR and youll be at 500whp safely....
Old 04-06-2009, 01:40 PM
QuadCam

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rrmedicx
Once that seal is damaged you will not be able to advance your timing. THAT ALL! There should be no major loss of oil pressure. Just the inability to make big power up on the top end. There is definitely more to this than meets the eye.
Hope this helps a bit.
I'm pretty sure the cams rest in the full retarded position (more top end power). the oil is used to hydraulically advance the cams for more low end power. One of these days, I am gonna come up with a way to install my degree wheel onto this motor to see just what the cam timing REALLY is.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:02 PM
BlinkerFluid

You should be up there pretty good, there aren't *too* many fast street cars in the area... Just gotta watch out for those pesky DSM's.

If you still don't have it complete by the time I get home Cass, I'd be more than happy to help out if needed. I finally started flying again so time is going by pretty quickly now.
Old 04-07-2009, 06:06 AM
Jeremy@Altered
Banned

There is about to be one more fast car on the streets up here

Just got a E30 to play around with...
Old 04-07-2009, 06:34 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by BlinkerFluid
You should be up there pretty good, there aren't *too* many fast street cars in the area... Just gotta watch out for those pesky DSM's.

If you still don't have it complete by the time I get home Cass, I'd be more than happy to help out if needed. I finally started flying again so time is going by pretty quickly now.
- Happy you back in the air and looking forward to meeting up soon. Your GSX was one of the 1~2% cars I was thinking of for sure.
Old 04-07-2009, 06:39 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by Jeremy@Altered

Looking forward to seeing it hit the streets Jeremy. I don't consider MD or VA local though. Way too many fast cars in the Mid-A for me to think I would be in the top 1~2% in that area. I was speaking more about just York County and Harrisburg, PA.
Old 04-08-2009, 05:29 PM
666sleeper

Originally Posted by Jeremy@Altered

lets keep it OT...

Last edited by 666sleeper; 04-11-2009 at 11:29 AM.
Old 04-08-2009, 05:30 PM
666sleeper

i hope everything goes well tomorrow chris.... good luck
Old 04-09-2009, 04:32 PM
graffkid732

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

WOW I'm so sorry to hear about this. This really is not the way I wanted to see things "end". I was hoping I would look in this thread again and see 100s of pics of the car up and running : / not it in pieces. Very sorry again.
Old 04-10-2009, 03:42 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Well, Thursday has come and gone, still no answers. I made the 3.5 hour drive to Justice Racing yesterday with Frank and my destroyed motor. I was hoping for a quick evaluation when we dropped stuff off, but that was not the case. The shop was very nice though and they even have an engine dyno - very cool.

Looks like I may get some answers by Tuesday if all goes well. On the plus side, it sounded like I will have several options available for re-build. On the negative side, they all sounded expensive. Either way, right now is more of the same, hurry up and wait.

It was odd seeing my car again at Hill's. Its been gone so long now that it almost doesn't seem like mine anymore, just another car that I see at the garage when I go there (like a certain black G ). I saw JGrizzle's ride getting sways while I was there too - let me know how those Hotchkis work out for you man.

Thanks to some of the other members for their PMs with possible solutions to my problems. I still change my mind often about what direction I want to proceed in. I can only hope that the weather gets warm enough for me to want to get my bike out and that should keep me occupied for a while over what whill most likely be the next 6-8 weeks. I tried to get an estimate to have the engine bay painted, but the painter has no showed twice now ...... of course. I will have another update as soon as some results are known from Justice Racing.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:54 AM
666sleeper

well man lets hope for the best...try to stay positive even though its hard todo
Old 04-10-2009, 11:01 AM
Jeremy@Altered
Banned

Originally Posted by 666sleeper
sorry but i dont really think anybody in this thread cares about what you have to say about the cars you are working on at AAM...... if you want to tell people about the cars you are working to try to make AAM look like something special, how about you start a thread about what cars AAM is working on... but dont do it in this thread....

Its actually my car. The post before mine mentioned the amount of fast cars in the Mid-A and i said i am about to add one more.

Why the hatred in Cass's thread? I thought you were permabanned anyways Nick?
Old 04-10-2009, 12:02 PM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by 666sleeper
sorry but i dont really think anybody in this thread cares about what you have to say about the cars you are working on at AAM...... if you want to tell people about the cars you are working to try to make AAM look like something special, how about you start a thread about what cars AAM is working on... but dont do it in this thread....
Its actually my car. The post before mine mentioned the amount of fast cars in the Mid-A and i said i am about to add one more.

Why the hatred in Cass's thread? I thought you were permabanned anyways Nick?
Easy guys - save the jabs for the Mid-A forum. There is still more to come here and I don't want my tale of EPIC FAIL derailed .
Old 04-10-2009, 12:05 PM
Jay'Z
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Easy guys - save the jabs for the Mid-A forum. There is still more to come here and I don't want my tale of EPIC FAIL derailed .
Lol, I say let em fly..
Old 04-10-2009, 01:08 PM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Jeremy's post looked like a tacky and shameless vendor plug to me.
Old 04-10-2009, 05:24 PM
666sleeper

Last edited by 666sleeper; 04-11-2009 at 11:31 AM.

Quick Reply: My Build: The Good, The Bad & The Progress