Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

My Build: The Good, The Bad & The Progress

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 02:26 PM
davidmcc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn, that really sucks to hear

I've been following this thread for a while now and I was really hoping to hear that a little more bottom-end work and some new cams was all it would take.

I'd love to see this beast on the road and you don't seem like the type to give up but I can't begin to imagine how you're feeling right now.

Best of luck to you bro.
Old 03-29-2009, 02:34 PM
txshldm
B8BB8B88

WOW bro, im sorry to hear about your loss. IMO you HAVE to finish this build. You have allready been through so much. From buying the "built motor" and having to rebuild it now this..... I know you are dumping a LOT of money in this project but you have gone through all of this and I would hate to see this project not get finished. who all is down for starting a collection for cass (chris I think???). LOL. Good luck man with whatever you decide to do.
Old 03-29-2009, 02:37 PM
davidmcc

Plus, you definitely deserve a BAD A$$ car after all you've been through
Old 03-29-2009, 04:03 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

that is really horrible news. I dont think i could function if I looked at my credit card statement and an empty driveway. your wife must be a saint for understanding!!

i would just put i back to stock and sell. its an old car with dated styling. get something new and you'll forget all about this.

good luck!
Old 03-29-2009, 04:38 PM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by str8dum1
that is really horrible news. I dont think i could function if I looked at my credit card statement and an empty driveway. your wife must be a saint for understanding!!

i would just put i back to stock and sell. its an old car with dated styling. get something new and you'll forget all about this.

good luck!
The wife is VERY cool, but has no idea how much has been spent up to this point. I'm sure she would completely freak out if she knew.

I know you are dumping a LOT of money in this project but you have gone through all of this and I would hate to see this project not get finished. who all is down for starting a collection for cass (chris I think???). LOL.
Up to this point the mods have all been paid for in cash. This project was a poor investment from the start and was supposed to be fun, but its getting a bit past stupid at this point and really isn't much fun right now. I was planning on getting back into the market now that I think we are seeing something close to the bottom, but the re-re-build would put a dent in that plan for a bit. Thank you for the offer on the collection though .

As I sit here on one of my laptops, since my office PC bit the dust during the storm earlier today, I can't help but think of just how full of fail things have been lately. I need to take a few days to process all the new info and see what Frank and Dave can come up with as far as a components and costs list to make final decisions about what to do.
Old 03-29-2009, 04:56 PM
bb1314
da Terminator!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I totally feel you man. Last year when my engine somehow sucked up a bunch of water and caused a bent rod, I was thinking about my options... My money was really tight at the time and went over hell and finally decided to do a minimal fix. Now a year later I'm feel like I should've just gone for a more serious build. It's always the "at the moment" financial problem. But if you can pull it through financially, definitely go for what you originally wanted!!! It sux to think back and feel like you didn't finish something and wasted all that money and got nothing out of it.
Old 03-29-2009, 05:00 PM
shocka04

wow, if I were you, I def dont think I could do another build. You've basically been through 2 builds already and have yet to have a finished car. Good luck though with whatever decision you make.
Old 03-29-2009, 05:21 PM
Smasher

So Sorry to read this

I am more scared now than ever after reading all of this. My build is so close to being complete and I surly cannot afford a re-build if it goes south.

I truly hope you get through this and have the car of your dreams.
Old 03-29-2009, 05:39 PM
QuadCam

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am having a hard time believing that the crushed/broken o-rings on the cam covers were the real reason for this motor failure. sure, it doesn't help, but you would have to lose so much oil volume those o-ring leaks for it too affect your oil pressure enough that you had bearing damage on the crank surfaces.

the crank and rods bearings are fed directly off of the main oil gallery and are a priority in the lubrication system. the oil going to the Intake Valve timing control cover is one of the last spots in the lubrication system priorities. I would imagine that the piston oil squirters represent a larger oil leak than the messed up O-rings on you timing gear covers.

If I were you, I'd look ALOT deeper into the causes of this failure. Something definately isn't adding up on this one. Break out the micrometers and check tolerances on the main and rods journals/ crank pins. Check for Out-of-round rod journals. Did the machine shop check the big end rods bores or did they just assume that they were perfect from the manufacturer? Check the rod bolt lengths. someone ma have overtorqued them causing a warping issue in the rod journal. Does the original builder have a full build sheet on the motor...including the rod molt lengths prior to install. A pro engine builder should have all these records and more for you!

Don't give up!!!!
Old 03-29-2009, 06:44 PM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

No way you should be shouldering the rebuild cost. This is seriously F'ed up and no way you should think it's all your fault.
Old 03-29-2009, 06:56 PM
jtgli

Check your pm's
Old 03-29-2009, 06:59 PM
ironx

Ive been following this for a while now that suck so much hope things turn out for the best

i like what QuadCam said i would get the stuff checked
Old 03-30-2009, 05:29 AM
Jay'Z
Banned

Cass, I posted a new vid to cheer you up.. Hopefully Ill get another few vids done today...
Old 03-30-2009, 06:03 AM
alan21

I have to agree with quadcam on this one something just does not add up. I would definetly not be as calm as you and there is no way in hell i would fully accept the blame because you did not build the motor!!!!! I doubt the powder coating and cam covers caused all this, something was not assebled right and I feel the shops using the powedercoating as a scapegoat since it was your call to do it. Look further into and keep pressing the isssue because this seems like utter ********. Goodluck bro I hope you finish the build it will definetly be worth it in the end.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:37 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Do what I do...

Let the car sit and collect dust as you REALLY think about what you want out of it while you save money. Making a decision anytime soon will be made with anger/frustration. This is one of the craziest cases Ive ever seen, I really feel for you. I would be very close to just walking away from it all...
Old 03-30-2009, 06:44 AM
Driven1
Professional

Originally Posted by Alberto
Do what I do...

Let the car sit and collect dust as you REALLY think about what you want out of it while you save money. Making a decision anytime soon will be made with anger/frustration. This is one of the craziest cases Ive ever seen, I really feel for you. I would be very close to just walking away from it all...
+1. Sorry to hear this Chris.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:07 AM
thom000001

Cass, if you re-use those turbos....take them back to the place that checked the others for you and have them do a complete teardown and inspection......

tom
Old 03-30-2009, 07:09 AM
rrmedicx

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think having to force the cam covers on from the get-go was WRONG!!! The fit can be snug but you should never have to force something to fit. The failed gasket may have been a contributing factor but I no way believe that this is the sole reason for the failure!

Dig deeper Cass! Take a good look at the crank and have it checked out thoroughly as well as the bearings as Quad suggested.

And, IF there was a loss of oil pressure why wasn't that picked up at the time of initial start up? Do you have any idea what the oil pressure was at that time?
Old 03-30-2009, 02:44 PM
Sylvan Lake V35

I feel sick for you! As my engine sits waiting for my turbos to come I am starting to worry more and more and this didn't help me. I hope you decide to stick with it and build another engine. It might not be a bad idea to put the stock block in for this summer and run it at 400hp for the summer while you start building another engine and have it ready for next summer. Good luck with what ever you decide.
Old 03-30-2009, 04:33 PM
Glex25

Originally Posted by Sylvan Lake V35
I feel sick for you! As my engine sits waiting for my turbos to come I am starting to worry more and more and this didn't help me. I hope you decide to stick with it and build another engine. It might not be a bad idea to put the stock block in for this summer and run it at 400hp for the summer while you start building another engine and have it ready for next summer. Good luck with what ever you decide.
^+1

Quick Reply: My Build: The Good, The Bad & The Progress