Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

infinity kappa 6.1 perfect

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2004, 05:22 PM
Ante Up

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default infinity kappa 6.1 perfect

I was just wondering if any of you out there had problems getting these installed by any stereo shop because I was just told that the magnets were too big for our cars when they tried to put it on. Thanks for your input!
Old 12-07-2004, 06:04 PM
tractng

Ante Up,

Use the stock speaker as spacer. Need help? I recently did my and it fits fine (after a few tries).

Let me know.

Tony
Old 12-07-2004, 06:40 PM
vantage350z

I used a 1" spacer for the doors. clears the window by 3/8 inch. but now very close the the grill. rears fit perfect in stock location, the only thing you might want to do is remove the stock grills and use the infinity grills instead. Ill send pics tomarrow.
Old 12-07-2004, 08:01 PM
Ante Up

thank you tony and vantage for the replies! I'm not a real DIY person so installing them myself may be a bad idea!

Tony- use stock speaker as spacer?! i don't quite get it, all i know is that al and ed's told me that they were too big but i see people on this forum that has these speakers.
Old 12-08-2004, 12:33 AM
tractng

Ante Up,

The factory speaker is what you are going to use as spacers. You have to destroy the speakers (around the speaker, there is the plastic part).

Let me know if you need help.

Thanks,
Tony
Old 12-08-2004, 02:45 AM
D@ActiveTuning

I made a guide here (Used the stock speakers as spacers):

http://www.activetuning.com/pat/4/6

Old 12-08-2004, 06:35 AM
mudring

Default Re: infinity kappa 6.1 perfect

I was told the same thing. My installer said that he could get them to fit but the speaker would be too close to the door panel causing vibration. I opted not to install them and went with Boston Pro's instead. I have a new pair of Infinity Perfects for sale! Anybody?
Old 12-08-2004, 09:21 AM
theZman

How much?
Old 12-08-2004, 12:49 PM
mudring

Originally posted by theZman
How much?
I got them on Ebay for 190.00 + shipping. Interested?
Old 12-08-2004, 01:02 PM
Ante Up

which model did you get mudring? I want to keep mine infinity's all around and maybe get a basslink. I'd rather spend money on performance that looks right now unless their is a good deal on rims. hehe
Old 12-08-2004, 01:07 PM
mudring

Originally posted by Ante Up
which model did you get mudring? I want to keep mine infinity's all around and maybe get a basslink. I'd rather spend money on performance that looks right now unless their is a good deal on rims. hehe
Infinity Perfect 6.1 components. Top of the line. 549.00 retail. of course you could get them cheaper on ebay. $190 was the cheapest I could find. Awsome components for your doors. The only reason I did not install them was because I didn't want to take any chances of needless vibration. I'm thinking I might have made the wrong decision because on this forum no one has complained about the Perfects vibrating against the door panel. Anyway they are available for the taking.
Old 12-08-2004, 01:13 PM
D@ActiveTuning

No vibrating against the door for me
Old 12-08-2004, 01:46 PM
Ante Up

Originally posted by mudring
Infinity Perfect 6.1 components. Top of the line. 549.00 retail. of course you could get them cheaper on ebay. $190 was the cheapest I could find. Awsome components for your doors. The only reason I did not install them was because I didn't want to take any chances of needless vibration. I'm thinking I might have made the wrong decision because on this forum no one has complained about the Perfects vibrating against the door panel. Anyway they are available for the taking.
I actually meant which boston pro's did you go with? lol I started this thread and i do have the infinity perfects as well.
Old 12-08-2004, 01:51 PM
mudring

I actually meant which boston pro's did you go with? lol I started this thread and i do have the infinity perfects as well.
Boston Pro's
Old 12-08-2004, 02:00 PM
LS350Z
Charter Member #56

The new Boston Pro 60s are sweet speakers. The older 6.5s are awesome as well but can't compete with the newer 60s. If you can afford it, I highly recommend moving up to the Boston Z6 References though. I've been using Boston Pro speakers since they first were introduced like 10 years ago. I've now gone through 4 different series and every new series gets better and better.
Old 12-08-2004, 02:14 PM
Ante Up

hey LS350z, I think i've seen the boston pro 60s on ebay that go for like 320.00. Do you have the exact model number?

Mudring-Which model boston pro do you have? lol
Old 12-09-2004, 08:52 AM
Zquicksilver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: infinity kappa 6.1 perfect

I was just wondering if any of you out there had problems getting these installed by any stereo shop because I was just told that the magnets were too big for our cars when they tried to put it on. Thanks for your input!
ante up,

i just finished installing my 6.1's this past weekend and can tell you there are NO rubbing issues with the glass or the door panel. like tractng said, it may take a few tries. some say it's impossible, but it is not

i can give you some tips if you want to try and make an attempt at this somewhat challenging install.

1) Use the stock spacer as the foundation and remove the cheep paper cone. You won't find a better spacer even if you tried to make one. It creates a great seal and the frame provides structural flex over the panels steel surface.

2) Make an additional spacer using the metal ring provided by infinity as a profile. Make the ring out of wood or balsa foam or MDF, doesn't matter. The ring should be around .75" in width and 1" in height and the inside diameter will be the same size as the metal ring provided. You will just have a little extra around the outside which you will need later.

3) You will need to cut the OEM spacer and the new ring/spacer into wedge shapes, the smaller side will face towards the back of the car and the larger end will face the door hinges. You need to cut the wedges in line or parallel with the OEM spacer or top two screw holes. I will provide dimensions later. This will give you the necessary angle to clear the parts and pieces with the magnet.

4) Once you Liquid Nail the OEM spacer and new ring together, you will then fix the metal ring to the top spacer with screws. This provides a nice platform for the Woofer. Remember when it's all done use the little foam spacer ring they provide as a cushion between the metal ring and speaker itself.

5) Take the spacer and speaker as one unit and align it with the OEM hole. You will notice a small clearance between the glass and it may possibly touch. This is where you need to shift the entire unit over and up in a diagonal towards the hinges by 1/2". Mark and drill new holes for the OEM screws provided by nissan.

6) Now that your speaker is installed and clearing the glass by a 1/8" you will need to modify the door panel just slightly. This will require shaving the tabs on the speaker grill itself and taking a small portion off the speaker hole/door panel where the grill sits. Now your speaker won't get punctured when there's movement. I shaved mine to the point where the grill still fits securely and tight, but still clears the cone and just used a knife to remove some of the soft material at the bottom of the hole. You will also need to shave the OEM spacer just under the top left screw hole to clear the door panel tab gromet.

7) I used dampening material on the door panel and doubled up all over the corner and around the speaker. That thing is very dead!

GOOD LUCK! I'll start a thread and post pics of my install soon...

Last edited by Zquicksilver; 12-09-2004 at 08:58 AM.
Old 12-09-2004, 10:14 AM
Ante Up

Thanks for the informative reply Zquicksilver! i'll be looking forward for your thread and pics of the install!
Old 12-10-2004, 10:42 AM
Zquicksilver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I tested it all last night...wholly sh#t does that thing ROCK compared to my base Z stereo!!!!!!!!!! Maybe too powerful...

And I retained the OEM head unit with all my adjustments still at my fingertips

Ante up,
I will post it all soon... I think it may help a few people, I've already learned a lot from everyone on here and am very thankful for it.

Most installers like BB and CC will just tell you it can't be done, because it's too labor intense for them. Not cost effective in other words...