Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

I'm Modding My Ps2, More to come!

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2004, 03:04 PM
hansel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been reading on PS2 Scene Forums and I'm a little confused. So what I gather from the webpage where they're selling HDAdvance 2.0 is that you do NOT need a mod chip for it to work. But the people from PS2 Scene are saying that HDAdvance is a rip off of HDLoader and that they are basically the same program... but HDLoader is free. They also say that you have to have a mod chip installed in order for HDAdvance 2.0 to work.

My question is... do you or do you not need a mod chip for HDAdvance to work? What else do you need to do all of this besides the PS2, harddrive and network adapter?

So this whole HDAdvance/HDloader program works by backing up your video game onto the harddrive? So it basically turns your PS2 into a cd burner for PS2 games?

Sorry, I'm very confused
Old 12-28-2004, 03:12 PM
zxsaint
Fairlady Stalker

Any maxtor drive that is IDE should work, I beleive they are all compatible
Not sure if it matters in the PS2 -- But the Tivo hacking scene prefers 5400rpm drives to minimize heat related issues. This may also be a good idea for the PS2, especially for those who are looking to put one in the car.
Old 12-29-2004, 05:52 PM
Dirty Dave

Inoticed something was mentioned in the very first post about copying movies, is that true cause i have hd advance and cannot get mine to copy a movie dvd ?
Old 12-29-2004, 07:08 PM
rbaggett1

Originally posted by hansel
I've been reading on PS2 Scene Forums and I'm a little confused. So what I gather from the webpage where they're selling HDAdvance 2.0 is that you do NOT need a mod chip for it to work. But the people from PS2 Scene are saying that HDAdvance is a rip off of HDLoader and that they are basically the same program... but HDLoader is free. They also say that you have to have a mod chip installed in order for HDAdvance 2.0 to work.

My question is... do you or do you not need a mod chip for HDAdvance to work? What else do you need to do all of this besides the PS2, harddrive and network adapter?

So this whole HDAdvance/HDloader program works by backing up your video game onto the harddrive? So it basically turns your PS2 into a cd burner for PS2 games?

Sorry, I'm very confused
Hansel, hopefully this will help.

I have HDLoader and I think it works the same way as HDAdvance (aside from the some hard drive size limits that the programs have).

Here is a what you'll need in order for HDLoader to work.
1) Playstation 2 (big old version NOT Playstation two "slim" version)
2) HDLoader software
3) Network Adapter
4) Hard Drive (40 - 140 GB preferrably Maxtor; Western Digital will not work)

You do NOT need a mod chip in order to get this software to work. I think the only reason they use a mod chip is to play\install burnt games.

Before installing games on the hard drive, HDLoader will format the hard drive to a PS2 format. After installing games onto the the drive, if you do decide to hook the drive up to your computer as a secondary drive, you won't be able to see the files on the hard drive because it's not in a FAT format. After doing some research on the net, I came across this app called WINHIIP. It can see all the games that is installed on your hard drive from a windows environment. It can also back your games up from the hard drive into ISO files (or image files).

I found that you can also install games from your PC through WINHIIP at much greater speeds then from your Playstation 2. They would install in about 5-6 minutes versus 30 minutes for a 4 GB game.

If you have the new slim PStwo, you are not of luck my friends. I believe some people out there are working on a solution for you and might have a possible beta for you. It's called "USB Loader" and as you guessed is almost like HDLoader except it can hit a hard drive through a USB connection.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-29-2004, 07:27 PM
rbaggett1

Hey Dirty Dave,

I ran across this one forum post about a piece of software called "PS2Reality". Here is the link: http://forums.psxforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=18355

Looks like you need a mod chip installed in order for this thing to work properly though.
Old 01-11-2005, 08:14 AM
alininger2001

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would try this if it was compatible with the hard drive, is it?
Old 01-13-2005, 05:02 PM
Jun
350Z-holic

Originally posted by hndumafia
you mean the new thin one? but then you can't use the hdloader because it requires the use of a network adapter and for a harddrive to go into the playstation.
No, i mean the flip top case:
Old 01-13-2005, 08:35 PM
hndumafia

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ive never seen that flip top ps2 before...is there any difference than the one where the tray slides out, other than obviously that case flips open?
Old 01-14-2005, 01:19 PM
Jun
350Z-holic

it's the same PS2. You just replace the cover so you can use a boot disc and swap the disc for the backup, because when the tray slides out, i guess it reboots the system.
Old 01-14-2005, 01:33 PM
Jspec350z

http://hdldump.ps2-scene.org/ Is this the program you guys are talking about?
Old 01-17-2005, 04:07 AM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I modded my PS2, Maxtor 120gb hard drive, slid right in, very simple. And then put the network adapter over it. I have a DMS Lite-Mod Chip, I don't know if i'm going to install it or not though. BTW, almost every game is at least 3gb's, the space goes fast.