Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

JL 10w7

Old 11-06-2002, 01:05 PM
Subw00er

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JL 10w7

Since I'm not using the stock location anymore, I've decided to upgrade to a 10w7. Has anyone installed one of these in the trunk yet?
Old 11-06-2002, 01:16 PM
STLZ
Banned

Default I know a guy who installed 3

Said it would knock you out of the car. I asked him about dyno matt and he said he used none. Said the car is seald pretty well with minimum rattle. don't know if this helps. are you looking for a lot of bass?
Old 11-06-2002, 01:24 PM
FstQban

Ummmmmm...

well seeing as how my 10W3 makes my neighbors seem to hate me from about 1 1/2 blocks, I am scared to think what a W7 would sound like!!!! I would highly recommend using a JL amp that is suited for that beast. I am sure it will sound phenomenal, though maybe a little extreme for my tastes. I would like to come hear it, but I have a feeling that I will hear it in NJ when you do the install!!! I am still waiting for those pics to be emailed to me so when I get to post them you can use the idea for local for your sub. I don't know what amount of air a W7 would need though. They got about .75 cubic feet without loosing any storage space in my car. you could easily increase that without losing any functionality. Hopefully I will get those pics up soon. Good luck.

Joe.

p.s. buy some ear plugs now! and a couple pairs for your passengers and neighbors also!!!
Old 11-06-2002, 07:19 PM
Subw00er

Joe, I'd love to see your pics, post them here!

FYI, I am currently using a 10w6v2 in a modded prefab box in the trunk. Its connected to a JL 500/1 mono sub amp. It slams like a bastard - hard enough to make my rear view mirror angle down, but since I can now, I'm going to buy the best! I dont find the w6 particularly musical, although its by far the loudest and most impressive 10" woofer I've heard in my 10 yrs of car audio enthusiasm. I've read some reviews and many people say the w7 is "musical" which will be great since I'm really looking for a subwoofer that will complement my Dynaudios.

Again, lets see the pics of the sub installs in the trunk! I'm most intrested in ones that are under the strut tower bar, or right behind the rear a-pillar/shelf hump-thing.
Old 11-11-2002, 08:44 PM
FstQban

I am still waiting for those damn pics!!! I spoke to the guys who did my sub and they said the following"Though it woulsd be much louder the W7 needs anincredibly well balanced system to sound proper. It only puts out sound from 20-80 Hz(approx.) as opposed to a W3 or W6 which pouts out from about 30-120 Hz" they just wanted to make sure thayt you realized the lack of range that the 7 has. As soon as they manage to burn the pics to a CD for me i wil pst them. Their damn email carrier wont let them send me the file . Hopefully soon.
Old 11-16-2002, 01:25 PM
Subw00er

Kent, I would suggest just getting a free-air sub. I made an enclosure in that area and ended up taking it out because it sounded horrible, with a painful resonance in the rear. I put a box in the back and its 300% better. If I were going to do it again knowing what I know now, I would jsut accept that it wont be great and use a free-air - it would have saved me two weeks in planning and fabbing!

Joe, pics?
Old 11-16-2002, 09:49 PM
Anyone2u
Charter Member #82

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Advice on putting sub behind drivers seat?

Originally posted by kent151
What kind of enclosure would you think this needs? I don't want to put it in the back as I need the space.
It appears that you are new to this site, so you may have missed this Subwoofer install by Nazar. It's a good compromise because the space between the strutbar and the speaker pod is useless anyway. Also, listen to Subw00er as he has already been down that road (using the space behind the drivers seat) and it obviously doesn't work out.

My car finally got picked up by a "local" speaker company last week and they never even considered using that space. They are going to build an enclosure similiar to the one built by Nazar, but with four 8" subs, more than likely angled forward, utilizing that space between strutbar and the speaker pod and mount the amplifiers right under the strut bar on the back of the enclosure. They initially wanted to remove the spare tire and put two 10-12" subs there, but I "begged" them to leave me that space (tough to beg when they are providing ~$10,000 in speakers, wires, amplifiers and installation!). In return I gave them free reign on the rest of the car...

Last edited by Anyone2u; 11-16-2002 at 09:51 PM.
Old 11-16-2002, 10:52 PM
Subw00er

I'm mocking up something similar to Nazar, but more traditional - a plain box. The height ofr the rear strut bar (bottom of it to the floor) is roughly 10". I'm going to make a box that fits under there and continues to the hump. It will be triangle shaped if I need more air space - havent figured that out yet. Then I'm going to mount a flat surface on the face of the box so that it fits under the strut bar perfectly.. sort of a divider with the sub faced towards the rear hatch.
Old 11-18-2002, 09:33 AM
FstQban

Aaaarrrrrgh. They do great work but man are they bad with getting pics out!!!! The guys who did my car had a very interesting idea. They said that you would be able to take some pvc pipe and a little ingenuity and make a removable sub enclosure in the stock local. Take a pvc pipe the correct diameter, and figure out the necessary air space for your sub. Then cut the pipe into a cylinder with an angled face in the correct length. This would give you a sturdy sealed enclosure that could be "easily" removed for work on the fuel pump. Just an idea for some of you do it yourselfers!!! Open air subs will never have the same quality of sound either volume or clarity wise as a sealed box with a quality sub will. Keep that in mind when making your decision. This is coming from a music fan but not a audiophile by the way. Audiophiles just laugh at most open air subs, even the best of them! Again, as soon as I get pics they will be posted. If I still have the car by then.

Joe.
Old 12-10-2002, 11:45 PM
BULL3T

do you guyz know if the 10w7 will fit in the factory sub inclosure behind the driver seat??? thanks in advance
Old 12-11-2002, 05:06 AM
Subw00er

bull- no
Old 12-11-2002, 02:19 PM
BULL3T

aww man....i was planning on doing that....there's absolutely no way of putting it in there? If so, why not?
Old 12-11-2002, 08:59 PM
RoBD305

The W7's need a lot of volume to push air through. That spot for the bose sub is a joke. I dont even consider the bose sub a subwoofer. Anyways, your best bet is to get a custom enclosure withe the right volume. This will give you the best sound by far.
Old 12-11-2002, 10:03 PM
nizl

If you're gonna go W7, I'd do the 12 or even 13 for the extra low-end extension... it is a great sub though... but I love my IDMAX...
Old 12-12-2002, 02:25 PM
BULL3T

Will the new 10w6 that looks like the w7 fit behind the drivers seat? i dont wanna waste the small cargo space in the back by getting a custom enclosure. Also if the new w6 wont fit than what will? the old w6? can you guyz name some top of the line ten inch subs that you guys recommend which will fit in the factory spot. Thanks alot.
Old 12-12-2002, 03:22 PM
Subw00er

I had a w6 in there but it is a waste of time. unless you build some sort of fiber enclosure that is an inch thick, the vibrations are just too much for the rear area. there is a resonance that is quite annoying. I would STRONGLY suggest just either making a small box the the rear or using a low end free-air. If you want to talk more about it.. let me know.
Old 12-12-2002, 06:10 PM
roberto350z

WTF..nizl totally chickened out on that one! He MEANT to say, f*ck the over priced W7, an IDMAX is much better use of money. At least that what he says after about 8 microbrews

But no really... The W7 is a sub for people who have more money than time to look into alternatives. I think that an adire brahma is accepted among people that have tested both as being far superior to the W7 at half the cost. But what do I know...I have a POS W3 that needs to go!