Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Subwoofer Selection - recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 01:22 PM
sundevil67

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Subwoofer Selection - recommendations?

I am thinking of doing one of the following, and I would like to hear some opinions. I really value the opinions of the folks in this forum, you all seem to think like me I am a total perfectionist and a stock look is important to me - but I also want great sound.

2 JL Audio 8" subs behind the driver's seat

OR

1 10" sub behind the driver's seat. Any reviews of the Infiniti Perfect 10" sub? It is between the Infinity, JL, & Kicker. What do you guys prefer? Pros/Cons?

* I am going to have Infiniti Perfect Components up front, so is there any advantage to using the same brand sub?

* Does the manufacturer intend this type of application? Would it make a difference if I used infinity all around as opposed to infinit speakers and a JL amp or something?

* What are your thoughts on using 2 8" as opposed to 1 10"? I saw a really sweet install of the two 8" JLs and I think 8" subs might be better for the type of music I listen to - alot of hard rock & metal as opposed to rap; I don't want "rumble" just "kick" if that makes any sense. I am pretty ignorant to this type of stuff, so forgive the newbie-style questions.

* I definitely don't want any sub boxes taking up cargo space in the hatch - so I am definitely going to use the space behind the driver's seat. One more question - will putting just one sub behind me give an unbalanced sound? In other words, do you think it is necessary to put another sub behind the passenger seat?

Along the same lines, what about an amp? What would y'all recommend to power the components up front and this sub configuration? Do I need a crossover?

Thanks!

sundevil67
Old 01-03-2005, 06:06 PM
mofoz

i have a JL audio 10W6 behind the drivers seat and it simply rocks. Power it with a Phoenix Gold 400x1 or JL audio 500x1 amp and it will pound, and appear stock.

Last edited by mofoz; 01-03-2005 at 06:09 PM.
Old 01-03-2005, 06:52 PM
Steve_TexasZ

Default Re: Subwoofer Selection - recommendations?

Originally posted by sundevil67
I am thinking of doing one of the following, and I would like to hear some opinions. I really value the opinions of the folks in this forum, you all seem to think like me I am a total perfectionist and a stock look is important to me - but I also want great sound.

2 JL Audio 8" subs behind the driver's seat

OR

1 10" sub behind the driver's seat. Any reviews of the Infiniti Perfect 10" sub? It is between the Infinity, JL, & Kicker. What do you guys prefer? Pros/Cons?

* I am going to have Infiniti Perfect Components up front, so is there any advantage to using the same brand sub?

* Does the manufacturer intend this type of application? Would it make a difference if I used infinity all around as opposed to infinit speakers and a JL amp or something?

* What are your thoughts on using 2 8" as opposed to 1 10"? I saw a really sweet install of the two 8" JLs and I think 8" subs might be better for the type of music I listen to - alot of hard rock & metal as opposed to rap; I don't want "rumble" just "kick" if that makes any sense. I am pretty ignorant to this type of stuff, so forgive the newbie-style questions.

* I definitely don't want any sub boxes taking up cargo space in the hatch - so I am definitely going to use the space behind the driver's seat. One more question - will putting just one sub behind me give an unbalanced sound? In other words, do you think it is necessary to put another sub behind the passenger seat?

Along the same lines, what about an amp? What would y'all recommend to power the components up front and this sub configuration? Do I need a crossover?

Thanks!

sundevil67
Plan your subwoofer install well and you'll get a great sounding system. Match the sub to the recommended box size, box type (sealed or ported), and amp size. Check out JL Audio's web site for info on their subs. I bet Infinity has similar info.

I have a sealed box (.75 cu ft) under my strut bar, JL 10w3v2 - Dual 6 sub, & JL 250/1 amp. It sounds amazing. Everybody asks if I'm running a JL 10W7 or 10W6, but I just matched up everything JL Audio's web site recommended and it worked! I paid $660 on eBay for the whole setup.
Old 01-03-2005, 07:29 PM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

Originally posted by mofoz
i have a JL audio 10W6 behind the drivers seat and it simply rocks. Power it with a Phoenix Gold 400x1 or JL audio 500x1 amp and it will pound, and appear stock.

that looks sweet
Old 01-03-2005, 08:37 PM
sundevil67

Default Re: Re: Subwoofer Selection - recommendations?

Originally posted by Steve_TexasZ
Plan your subwoofer install well and you'll get a great sounding system. Match the sub to the recommended box size, box type (sealed or ported), and amp size. Check out JL Audio's web site for info on their subs. I bet Infinity has similar info.

I have a sealed box (.75 cu ft) under my strut bar, JL 10w3v2 - Dual 6 sub, & JL 250/1 amp. It sounds amazing. Everybody asks if I'm running a JL 10W7 or 10W6, but I just matched up everything JL Audio's web site recommended and it worked! I paid $660 on eBay for the whole setup.
So you stuck with all JL stuff - do you think that made a difference?
Old 01-03-2005, 08:40 PM
sundevil67

Default Subwoofer Selection

Originally posted by mofoz

Nice setup - where did you get the sub housing - that white-ish looking piece that holds it in place? So there is no noticeable loss of balance by having just one sub behind you? Where is your amp mounted? Did you have any vibration issues? - I don't see any "Dynamat". One more - do you have rear speakers as well? Should I bother? Hearing mixed reviews on that....

Thanks mucho!
Old 01-04-2005, 07:59 AM
mofoz

not really a lack of balance at all. That piece was done as a custom piece, and the entire inside has about 3 layers of dynamat instide it. I do have rear speakers because they do add to the soundstage. I like being "immurused" in the sound. I do set the balance 3 notches forward though. I went with infinity speakers all around, and the rears only cost an additional $75. Definetly worth it in my opinion. The amps are in the glove box and below the false floor.
Old 01-04-2005, 03:30 PM
04_CS_Z33

I have 2 10" Infinity Perfect subs. As you can see they are mounted under the strut bar. They sound good and hit pretty hard. The only other subs that I can compare them to are some cheap 10" MTX subs. The Infinity's sound a lot better, but they were more expensive.

As for the branding thing, I went all Infinity. I did it because I got a really good deal on everything. I think I would've gone JL for the amps/subs had I not gone with Infinity.
Old 01-04-2005, 05:39 PM
sundevil67

That looks great - probably exactly what I'd do except that I just can't sacrifice that much cargo space; this is my daily driver. I will definitely do it behind my seat - I guess the only question left is whether to do the 2 8" subs or the 1 10".

Thanks!
Old 01-04-2005, 08:33 PM
Steve_TexasZ

Default Re: Re: Re: Subwoofer Selection - recommendations?

Originally posted by sundevil67
So you stuck with all JL stuff - do you think that made a difference?
Just made it easy to match the right stuff. Of course, JL makes great stuff anyway.
Old 01-05-2005, 12:39 PM
audry

planning on 10w3v2 run by a 500/5 havent chosen the other speakers yet. i love JL amps and subs in my trailblazer i am running a 12w7 pushed by a 500/1 Boston acoustic z6 seps in the front nx67 in the rear both being pushed by a 300/4 and a sony mobile es cdxc90 head unit. dont want the same set up in the 350 it would be TOO loud. in the trailblazer 1 12w7 in a sealed box hit a 139.9db legal plus its kinda heavy