Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Replacing BOSE HU only?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2005, 01:03 PM
slaponte

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Which probably works just like the LOC. So you CAN'T just plug the HU in, you need to convert the signal, one way or the other.

http://www.autotoys.com/x/catalog/PA...M1_p_1249.html
Old 02-23-2005, 01:23 PM
bixby

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

replace the amp, sub and front speakers. The rears are for fill so your existing rears will be fine. Depending on what speakers you go with you can probably get what you want for sound quality for under $1,000.00. If you just replace the HU you won't be happy.
Old 02-24-2005, 08:17 PM
ddang1

Originally posted by slaponte
Which probably works just like the LOC. So you CAN'T just plug the HU in, you need to convert the signal, one way or the other.

http://www.autotoys.com/x/catalog/PA...M1_p_1249.html
I have a 05 z with the BOSE and just hooked up a regular nissan harness from metra the 7550 and the system worked fine no problems.It was 12 bucks. I put the Double Din Kenwood with no problems with the sub. It boosted the system to at least bearable till i switch everything I had in my 04 Z.
Old 02-25-2005, 07:04 AM
ztastic

I know this thread is discussing upgrading from the Bose HU/system, but are there any gotchas on upgrading from the stock Enthusiast system (non Bose)?
Sound is tolerable. I added a sub woofer and sub amp and everything is better but still so - so.
Based on some discussions I gather the EQ in my system is all controlled from the HU and not the primary amp??
Does anyone know the manufacturer of my system? I heard it was still a Bose somewhere deep.
Old 02-25-2005, 11:29 AM
TeesZ

Originally posted by ztastic
I know this thread is discussing upgrading from the Bose HU/system, but are there any gotchas on upgrading from the stock Enthusiast system (non Bose)?
Sound is tolerable. I added a sub woofer and sub amp and everything is better but still so - so.
Based on some discussions I gather the EQ in my system is all controlled from the HU and not the primary amp??
Does anyone know the manufacturer of my system? I heard it was still a Bose somewhere deep.

There is no external amp in our cars and the EQ is built into the headunit. Here is the frequency response of the stock headunit. If you plan on using high to low level converter, use the rear channels ONLY. The frequency response of the rear channels is flatter than the front channels. Also, the level on the rear is higher than the front at every frequwncy.
Old 02-25-2005, 11:35 AM
TeesZ

here's the replonse. The solid lines are the front channels while the dotted represents the rears.
Attached Thumbnails Replacing BOSE HU only?-350z_resp.jpg  
Old 02-25-2005, 11:40 AM
bixby

Interesting. Mine has an external amp (Clarion made for Bose). Granted it's now disconnected (for new) and may as well have not been there since it sucked anyway. Did they stop using them after 04?
Old 02-25-2005, 12:01 PM
TeesZ

Originally posted by bixby
Interesting. Mine has an external amp (Clarion made for Bose). Granted it's now disconnected (for new) and may as well have not been there since it sucked anyway. Did they stop using them after 04?
External? I have an 04 and the amp is in the head unit. Have you seen your amp, if so where is it?
Old 02-28-2005, 08:52 AM
ztastic

Usually the primary amp is in the back next to the spare tire under the black rubber/styrofoam cover. Have not checked on my enthusiast to see what is there.
Old 02-28-2005, 09:31 AM
TeesZ

Originally posted by ztastic
Usually the primary amp is in the back next to the spare tire under the black rubber/styrofoam cover. Have not checked on my enthusiast to see what is there.
I have completely torn apart my Enthusiast and there is no in there.
Old 02-28-2005, 09:41 AM
bixby

Originally posted by TeesZ
External? I have an 04 and the amp is in the head unit. Have you seen your amp, if so where is it?
It's in the left rear hatch area. You have to remove pretty much the entire area to get to it. I know it's there because I had it replaced under a TSB before I did my upgrades. The mechanic pi$$ed & moaned about it because of the amount of work involved. It's made by Clarion for Bose and even the replacement one sucked.

Last edited by bixby; 02-28-2005 at 10:01 AM.
Old 02-28-2005, 09:52 AM
TeesZ

maybe for 04 the integrated the amp in the head unit. i am dynamating the trunk area now and every panel is out. including the false foam floor and there was no amp in my car.
Old 02-28-2005, 10:02 AM
bixby

maybe for 04 the integrated the amp in the head unit. i am dynamating the trunk area now and every panel is out. including the false foam floor and there was no amp in my car.
I don't think so? The amp used in the 03 TSB was the amp being installed in the 04's. Perhaps it was discontinued on 04.5 & later? This IS for the Touring /w Bose. The non-bose models may not have an amp.

EDIT: If you don't have a Touring Model /w a Bose (Blows) HU, your car does NOT have an Amp!

The title of this Thread is "Replacing BOSE HU Only".

Last edited by bixby; 02-28-2005 at 10:10 AM.
Old 02-28-2005, 10:06 AM
TeesZ

Originally posted by bixby
I don't think so? The amp used in the 03 TSB was the amp being installed in the 04's. Perhaps it was discontinued on 04.5 & later? This IS for the Touring /w Bose. The non-bose models may not have an amp.

EXACTLY, we were discussing the NON-BOSE systems.
Old 02-28-2005, 10:14 AM
bixby

Yea, well as I edited in my previous post, the title of this thread is Replacing BOSE HU Only. Non touring models don't have amps.
Old 03-01-2005, 02:23 PM
ztastic

Thanks TeesZ. You were answering an off topic related question I asked about Bose vs non Bose and things to watch. Appreciate your looking for an amp! I now know that my non bose (enthusiast) does not have an external primary amp thanks to your ripping up your back compartment for me.

Someone was going to give me a complete BOSE system, but now I have definitely decided not to replace the standard system with the BOSE. Not worth the effort for a paltry sounding BOSE mainly just to gain the in dash changer.

later folks.