Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Following a guy with a V1

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2005, 08:02 AM
hypeiv

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Following a guy with a V1

I was driving from richardson to houston yesterday on I45 and had cruise control set at 78 b/c there weren't many speeders and I didn't want to lead the pack. Then about halfway through the trip a Nissan Armada passes me and I see he has a new thin V1 mounted on the dash. Me with the 8500 x50 is interested to see how my detector can match up with his so I decide to follow him. We are going about 95 b/c there was pretty much no traffic.

Unfortunatly (or fortunatly) at this time of day there were not many police officers monitoring I45 since we drive about 95 mph for over an hour. Finally I pick up a K on my x50 and start braking about half a second before the V1 brakes. No way to really tell if the guy just had a slow reaction time or if I really picked up the signal first. In my mind I was still thinking x50=1 V1=0. Then about 2 miles later he brakes about a second before I pick up a K so I figure its all tied up (x50=1 V1=1) and unfortunatly (or fortunatly) we didn't get another chance to test them again b/c he turned off before we saw anymore cops.

He waved as he pulled off so I guess he didn't mind having people follow him b/c he has the V1 (even though it would annoy me...). Even though I have the x50 I always figured the V1 was a little better but I didn't want to spend the extra money (and I liked the mikes mount for the x50) since I don't normally speed that bad (i.e. 78 in a 70). But I really think most people will be very happy with either detector.

I really just wanted to post this interesting story (well i thought so at least) for anyone to take it for what its worth, we all know that running two detectors in a non controlled environment (i.e. different cars, different mounting height, etc) for 1 senario is hardly a good measurment of which is better overall.
Old 02-26-2005, 10:27 PM
CopperZ

Default Re: Following a guy with a V1

Originally posted by hypeiv
I was driving from richardson to houston yesterday on I45 and had cruise control set at 78 b/c there weren't many speeders and I didn't want to lead the pack. Then about halfway through the trip a Nissan Armada passes me and I see he has a new thin V1 mounted on the dash. Me with the 8500 x50 is interested to see how my detector can match up with his so I decide to follow him. We are going about 95 b/c there was pretty much no traffic.

Unfortunatly (or fortunatly) at this time of day there were not many police officers monitoring I45 since we drive about 95 mph for over an hour. Finally I pick up a K on my x50 and start braking about half a second before the V1 brakes. No way to really tell if the guy just had a slow reaction time or if I really picked up the signal first. In my mind I was still thinking x50=1 V1=0. Then about 2 miles later he brakes about a second before I pick up a K so I figure its all tied up (x50=1 V1=1) and unfortunatly (or fortunatly) we didn't get another chance to test them again b/c he turned off before we saw anymore cops.

He waved as he pulled off so I guess he didn't mind having people follow him b/c he has the V1 (even though it would annoy me...). Even though I have the x50 I always figured the V1 was a little better but I didn't want to spend the extra money (and I liked the mikes mount for the x50) since I don't normally speed that bad (i.e. 78 in a 70). But I really think most people will be very happy with either detector.

I really just wanted to post this interesting story (well i thought so at least) for anyone to take it for what its worth, we all know that running two detectors in a non controlled environment (i.e. different cars, different mounting height, etc) for 1 senario is hardly a good measurment of which is better overall.

Whats good about the V1, is that it has arrows. other then that its just as good as the x50.
Old 02-26-2005, 10:30 PM
CopperZ

Default Re: Following a guy with a V1

Originally posted by hypeiv

Oh, i also wanted to ask: where the signals that the radar's picked up cops? O false alarms?
Old 02-27-2005, 06:43 AM
sal1

I have a V1 and I don't slow down at the first beep. The first beep to me means, watch out. I can monitor how close the cop is getting and then I slow down. So, your assumption could be wrong.
Old 02-27-2005, 07:22 AM
hypeiv

Originally posted by sal1
I have a V1 and I don't slow down at the first beep. The first beep to me means, watch out. I can monitor how close the cop is getting and then I slow down. So, your assumption could be wrong.
I agree... The place we were at had lots of side streets that police could have been on so the detect may not have been a cop that could have actually gotten us. Also I know there are places on i45 where the police don't even bother with you unless your going more than 20 over. So he could have started coasting when I hit my brake slowing down to a safe speed.

The first time it went of there was a cop on the freeway the second time I didn't see the cop but it was a longer/stronger signal than what I normally get from a automatic door at a store.

If this driver was very familiar with the area he might know where his detector falses and know where not to worry.
Old 02-27-2005, 07:37 AM
charlie_rdstr_Z

I only take Ka and laser very seriously on my first gen Passport. The only time K is super sensitive is at some traffic cameras and those things they put on the road to show how fast you are going. A faint Ka however could be instant on by a cop nearer than you think if he is very experienced. One time I was doing about 70-75 at 65mph. I notice everyone driving really tamed behind me and I got a very slight blip of Ka. I looked around at how everyone was driving and took caution. Then I let go of the gas to around 70 and see a cycle cop weave in and passes me. I guess he was looking for bigger fish. Another thing cops do to nab the crappy radar detector speeders that don't have multiple threat counters is to wait by somewhere that has very strong X and K. This will then overlap Ka and you will never see it. It would have have fooled me with my old 30 dollar Cobra but not this one.

Guys with Passports don't forget to setup this feature.