Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

confirmation... replacing stock frontspkr

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2005, 03:37 AM
jkoc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default confirmation... replacing stock frontspkr

i was doing a lil search... lil confused. can i directly replace the front speakers without an amp? just power it with stock HU and wiring?

i looked at teh HOW-TO faq
https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....&threadid=7995
and it seems like this is OK.

but frmo this post, this isnt a good idea?
https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....&threadid=7995

all i want is a cheap upgrade to get a clearer sound without replacing the stock head unit. for starters i was thinkin of just changing the front speakers.

thanks!

Last edited by jkoc; 05-05-2005 at 04:41 AM.
Old 05-05-2005, 03:51 AM
jkoc

will these improve my stock sound? Infinity 62.5i 6-1/2"
Old 05-05-2005, 04:37 AM
WhiteZed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the stock head unit is the problem....

no changing the speakers will be a waste o time, speakers need serious power to sound good, as it is better to overpower speakers rather than underpower them

changing the fronts without an amp is also a waste

car stereo stuff sucks, and starts to cost a little bit after a while ..

IMHO changing the stock head unit with something nicer to look at
will make the stock stereo sound heaps better, it will have more power to start with...

and it is a good start and isnt that expencive.....

new Head Unit with stock speakers will sound pretty good....
especaily is you dont want to speak to much $$
Old 05-05-2005, 04:40 AM
jkoc

wow.. i keep hearing two different stories.. some say stock hu + replacement spkr is great, others say replacing HU is best..

dunno what to do
Old 05-05-2005, 04:57 AM
WhiteZed

i can only tell you what i have done ..

my gfs car atm we just changed the Head unit and stock speakers

and it sounds cool... especially for the price ....

im messing with $1000s of dollars of stuff in my zed atm
and i think hers sounds pretty good compaired to mine

im almost finished my expencive stereo and her cheap one

trust me hers sounds good..

i would just change the Head Unit,
anyway its a good start if you are ever unhappy with it !!!!

if you ever decide to upgrade further

rough pricing ......
new speakers $300
amp for front speakers $350 - $500 ??

no need for sub and rear speakers,
subs are for people that want to spend extra $$$
rear speakers are a waste ....... no more to say on rears ...........
Old 05-05-2005, 05:05 AM
jkoc

is her car a Z too?

also, if you change HU's on the Z, dont you need to start messing aruond with a new AMP since BOSE has compaibility issues with any other HU?

(i have 2003 bose crap)
Old 05-05-2005, 04:55 PM
WhiteZed

nar her car isnt a zed, its a hyundai

uhhh stock crap boss with amp compatibility..

i doubt very much there would be any issues with just changing the Head Unit
i may be wrong though...

see what someone else has to say ??

probally best to take it to a high end installer...
the crappy stores will rip you off and lie.. *you will walk out of there with a new system* and a crappy system

high end installers usually tell the truth and will be more then happy to just install a new Head Unit
Old 05-05-2005, 06:13 PM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

I beg to differ.

It is relatively easy to get a head end that is good. In a car that has a sound level as loud as the Z you're not hearing most of the music to begin with no MATTER HOW FREAKING LOUD YOU CRANK IT UP . The dynamic range of the music is limited by the noise caused by the road, engine, and the wind. Figure at least 45db or more of a noise floor - having a CD player with a signal to noise ratio of 80 db is a waste because you'll never hear the noise caused by the CD at 70 dB down over a running car - parked in a quite empty lot possibly.

Secondly, a car is without a doubt the most crappy (can we say that word?) place to listen to music. The speaker placement sucks. The reflections suck. The road noise sucks. The size of the environment sucks ... everything sucks!

Having said that it is possible to get noise from your system that does resemble "music". We're not talking MP3 CD's here as they are a sinful as it comes when attempting to reproduce music. I'm talking real CD's - which when compared to a nice virgin vinyl half speed master records sound like garbage any ways ... but I digress.

Speakers are without a doubt the best thing you can change out to improve the quality of your sound - the best bang for the buck. Speaking of bang, too many fools have blown their ability to hear to begin with and then like a bad computer virus spread their hearing losses to others. I suffer from tinnitus caused by my military service - the flightdeck of an aircraft carrier is a wicked place but we wear double hearing protection and face the same SPL levels that fools subject their only set of ear too on purpose. Hearing damage is forever and never gets better. Why people would intentionally destroy the gift of their hearing is beyond me.

Ok off the high horse.

A $5000 head end isn't going to make as big a difference in the sound of your car's system as a set of $100 speakers or the same spend on a sub-woofer. Next to the speakers an amplifier is the next best thing to add - and finally the head end. Normally the head end is changed at the same time as the amp in order to provide the line level RCA outputs needed to drive an amplifier. it's not that difficult to build a CD player or FM tuner that will provide sound better than the speakers - or the environment of the car can reproduce.

If I was dividing my budget I would spend at least 50% on speakers (you've got at least five, possibly seven to buy) and the rest on the amplifier and head end understanding that the amplifier doesn't need to be powerful enough to arc weld with. That said a nice clean 50-100W will make even reasonable levels of music listening better.

I use to do custom car stereo installations for four years prior to my enlistment - my "little" 150W/channel Zapco was more than enough to drive my old system to insane SPL levels. People are now putting thousands of watts worth of stereo systems in their cars for reasons unknown to me. I figure they're compensating for something.

Once I joined the US Navy I became a certified professional broadcast television engineer by the Society of Broadcast Engineers specializing in acoustics among other things. I now have over 25 years of professional experence in broadcast radio and televison engineering.

Listen to several different sets of speakers with your music side-by-side to hear the difference they make. You need to make the A-B comparison and then listen to the set you've picked to make sure that they're not artificially pleasing for just temporary periods - you know - like that cute girl with the "wonderful personality" that drives you so crazy that you'd chew your own arm off to escape waking up next to her in the mornings. Some speakers will sound good to you for short periods of time but become fatiguing over prolong listening periods.

Personally I like the Infinity brand as I enjoy a more neutral and accurate sound vice a heavy mid- or low-bass sound or a shrill sound. Your milage may vary - it probably will in fact. I will never argue one's choice in a speaker selected - but I will argue with one's method of selecting that speaker.

Distortion is what kills speakers as does the amount of wattage you expect them to dissipate.
Old 05-05-2005, 07:50 PM
jkoc

i tend to agree with paul's statements...

i dont really want a super loud system nor do i seek to listen to music at the detailed level that i need pure unbiased "reference" speakers in a car. i just want to improve upon what nissan has already installed, with a limited budget. i really want to spend the least money possible on audio -- just to the extent that my ears will be happy for a car system. real reference listening, i'll reserve that for the home system.

i can honestly say that my parents' toyota sienna's audio system is in some regards, beter than the nissan bose crap

Last edited by jkoc; 05-05-2005 at 07:52 PM.
Old 05-05-2005, 08:15 PM
WhiteZed

if you dont want to spend much $$ replacing the HEad Unit will save you $$

everything paul said about the zed being loud is correct ...

but this one statement holds the answers ..........

it is better to overpower a speaker rather then underpower it .........

putting some infinitys in there.. i think they are about 100w RMS, i cant be bothered checking that though...

the Stock head unit will put out something stupid like what 5watts of power ?
how can some good speakers respond to that kind of torture ..

overpowering the hell out of the stock speakers will make them respond heaps better ....