Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Approx. How Much DynaMat To Use...?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2005, 09:04 AM
TXSTYLE
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Approx. How Much DynaMat To Use...?

Hey guys, for those of you who DynaMatted your cars:

@ How much did you use in sq/ft? I am personally not using DynaMat as there is a VERY similar product that can be had from hardware stores for less than half the cost!
I want to use it in "critical spots" that are prone to rattle and the wheel wells of course (horendous road noise!)

Thanks!

Last edited by TXSTYLE; 05-16-2005 at 08:05 AM.
Old 05-09-2005, 10:49 AM
dannichols

I used 50 sq ft..not for road noise but vibration dampening. For road noise use something else..foams, jute, liquid spectrum, otherwise you will add a ton of weight and Dunamat in general doesn't block a wide range of road noise freqs
Old 05-09-2005, 10:54 AM
neur0sis

asked in the other thread, but is there someplace online to buy a roll of "Jute" ?? The carpet stores around me just sell that multi-colored foam padding... it doesn't seem like the same stuff.
Old 05-09-2005, 12:28 PM
dannichols

Dan, I'm not sure you want the same type of jute used in the carpet industry. It is hella heavy, basically foam based, and very thick (to absorb impact of walking on carpet). I have seen online places that sell the type intended for automobiles. Run some searches under classic auto restoration. I started my search for sound quieting products a long time ago and found that most companies recommemd an open/closed cell combination acoustic foam for best noise control in limited height areas. Check out secondskinaudio, fatmat, dynamat, and other companies foam products..they are not the same as their acoustic dampeners.
Old 05-09-2005, 12:35 PM
InternetABYSS

i bought 2 boxes...did the spare tire area, under the glove box on both sides... then the doors. ...no rattles so far with my 10w7
Old 05-09-2005, 12:36 PM
JimRHIT

Marcus,

If you are referring to the tar-backed siding material from hardware store. DO NOT USE IT. It has a low melting point and can melt in your hot Texas sun and destroy the car by seeping down the doors, into mechanical parts and then cool and bind with things ... causing permanet damage.

The above mentioned fatmat, secondskin, jute and others are great alternatives to the expensive dynamat... please look into those for a safer, cheaper alternative.

Jim
Old 05-09-2005, 01:43 PM
2 low Z

Anybody use Hushmat?
Old 05-09-2005, 01:44 PM
dannichols

I've tried Tac-Mat (by Dynamat), Dynaliner (by Dynamat), Vibramat (E-bay), and Overkill (secondskin)
Old 05-09-2005, 01:53 PM
tacomaboy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

eDead can be had pretty cheap www.elementaldesigns.com. I have the V1.SE and its really great stuff.
Old 05-09-2005, 02:23 PM
TXSTYLE
Banned

Arrow

Hmmmmmm? Thanks for that advise. Alot of guys down here are using just that!

And as far as eDead... I was gonna buy some from them, but that is the same shiz from the hardware store.
Old 05-09-2005, 05:23 PM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used 45 sq.ft. in my trunk, rear speaker area, and in the subwoofer. I basically did every thing around the aft end except under the spare tire figuring that the factory rubber was there and that the tire itself was a pretty good dampener. I put three levels on the rear wheel wells so now instead of hearing all the "dink" "dink" with each tiny rock picked up by the tires I hear nothing. The exaust note is well muffled now.
Old 05-11-2005, 08:51 AM
TXSTYLE
Banned

Question

Hmmmmmm? I've been reading through countless articles and posts (audio forums) about this subject, and I guess I'll have to order some of the liquid stuff. Apparently all these 'asphalt/rubber' combo sticky-mat items like Dynamat, FatMat, etc. start to make your car smell like a new highway when it gets too hot! That shiz is unacceptable IMO. I guess I'll use the couple of pieces I was sent gratis with my speaker & amp purchase, (probably in the wheel well) and use the liquid stuff everywhere else. Any suggestions on the liquid stuff:
How to apply?
Drying time?
Particular brand?

By the way: http://www.icixsound.com/vb/article.php?a=1
Old 05-11-2005, 08:57 AM
dannichols

I have much experience with Spectrum II liquid. Good stuff. But I think you are not giving the mats a fair chance. They don't all make your car smell like tar..just the asphalt based ones. I used plenty of Dynamat Extreme and it doesn't smell at all, even in the hot desert heat we get in Temecula. I'm sure the competing products from Fatmat and others will also not smell as long as you get their top of the line, non asphalt product.

Regarding liquid. I applied it with a brush, much the same way I would apply paint to a fence. The thicker the liquid the better as you will have to do many coats if it is too thin. With a moderately thick coat, I usually let it dry for a few hours before applying another coat on top of it. After the final coat, wait over-night before putting anything over the dried liquid. I did all wheel wells with about 5 coats of liquid, and the entire horizontal area of the interior. That required removing the panels, seats, carpet, and everything else. PITA but big improvement.

Secondskinaudio sells the Spectrum product
Old 05-11-2005, 09:20 AM
TXSTYLE
Banned

Thanks! That's what I was planning to use. It's not only about the smell... WEIGHT is a large issue as well.
Old 05-11-2005, 09:30 AM
tacomaboy

Originally Posted by TXSTYLE
Hmmmmmm? Thanks for that advise. Alot of guys down here are using just that!

And as far as eDead... I was gonna buy some from them, but that is the same shiz from the hardware store.

How is that the same stuff as the hardware store?

http://edesignaudio.com/product.php?...pid=25&cur=USD

Its the same as Dynamat.

They do have a paint on substance thats supposed to be great as well.. but I felt a bit safer with the mat.
Old 05-11-2005, 09:33 AM
dannichols

I would suggest figuring out what bugs you and what you want to accomplish as a first step. If it's just trying to alleviate rattles, make the bass sound better, and reduce a little of the road noise then you will have a fairly easy time and won't need to rip the entire car apart. If your looking to drastically reduce road/tire noise it will require a lot of time, and be difficult if you don't want to add significant weight.

thick Liquid is probably the only and best solution for the outer wheel wells, but is not sufficient for greatly reducing interior noise. IMO it took much more, namely acoustic foams and matting. Jute will also work. What you are trying to do is build up layers of differeing material to trap and absorb sound. Liquid alone won't do it. My solution inside was to use a good layer of Spectrum first (or even Matting with liquid on top). This is a great base that will act as a vibration dampener and block some noise. ON top of that I used an open/closed cell foam 1/4" to absord sound, and on top of that a closed cell foam (neoprene) to reflect noise back into the middle layer. It works great and if you drive in my car you will notice the wind noise is actaully louder than the road noise now.

One thing that helped me was to completely take out the carpet. On the underside I spray-glued the Neoprene I was mentioning. When you take out the carpet you will also notice the Jute that comes stock..pretty good stuff but not enough of it...

BTW: my total weight added was about 50 lbs:

Dynamat Ext - 22 lbs
Spectrum - (2.5 gls) 20 lbs
Acoustic Foam - 8 lbs
Old 05-11-2005, 09:50 AM
TXSTYLE
Banned

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by tacomaboy
How is that the same stuff as the hardware store?

http://edesignaudio.com/product.php?...pid=25&cur=USD

Its the same as Dynamat.

They do have a paint on substance thats supposed to be great as well.. but I felt a bit safer with the mat.
I was sent a couple of pieces from them. I went to the hardware store, and they both appeared and smelled similar. I can just imagine what my car will smell like heated up to @ 180f+ in the Summer!

Thanks for the great suggestions & feedback dannichols! It appears you have worked with it all. And a "combination" is probably what I need.
Old 05-11-2005, 09:54 AM
tacomaboy

Originally Posted by TXSTYLE
I was sent a couple of pieces from them. I went to the hardware store, and they both appeared and smelled similar. I can just imagine what my car will smell like heated up to @ 180f+ in the Summer!

Thanks for the great suggestions & feedback dannichols! It appears you have worked with it all. And a "combination" is probably what I need.

I dont get how or why the hardware store would carry anything like that. Are you sure your not confusing it with something else?

I have eDead v1.se in my car, and its EXACTLY like Dynamat Extreme. It doesnt smell up the car at all, though if you take a whiff from an inch away you can smell it. But you can smell dynamat too...

Old 05-11-2005, 09:55 AM
dannichols

No prob. If it a big issue to you, I would also suggest doing it right the first time. I ended up taking the car apart sooo many times to improve things. It would have been much easier to just bite the bullet (car audio and sound deadening) and just do it the right way.
Old 05-11-2005, 09:56 AM
dannichols

Tacomaboy is telling the truth. Edead is very good stuff. Maybe back in the day they made an asphalt version similar to the original Dynamat and that is what you were sent txstyle?

Quick Reply: Approx. How Much DynaMat To Use...?