Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Added 35 Sq. ft of Brown Bread to help deaden road noise . . .

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2002, 02:00 PM
Autobahn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Added 35 Sq. ft of Brown Bread to help deaden road noise . . .

I know, I know . . . it's a sports car.

But I still like to occasionally talk on my cell phone at 70mph and the road/tire noise on the freeway is LOUD. I use a headset of course.

So anyway I just installed 35 sq ft of Brown Bread sound insulation. It wasn’t too hard but I didn’t really to a complete job. I pulled out the two front seats and removed enough of the side door moldings to let me pull up the edges of the carpet. That was good enough to let me do the area under the front mats, under the seats, and behind the seats up to where the carpet stops. I also had enough left over to cover the metal area just in front of the rear tower brace and underneath the spare tire. I didn’t want to spend the time to dissemble the tough areas such as the console and pull the Styrofoam out from around the spare tire. If you really wanted to do it right you should order the 70 sq ft roll but be prepared for more effort. Adding Brown Bread to the doors might also be a good idea. I also ordered the self adhesive hood linear which has to be cut quite a bit to fit so I’m not sure of the overall utility but I figured every little bit helps. Total outlay was around $150.

That said the car seems a little bit quieter around town. My wife thinks it helped a lot. I still have to take it out on the freeway.

Nissan was trying to keep the cost down but for a couple of hundred bucks it would have been well worth adding some sound insulation. For most of the car there is nothing but carpet on bare metal!

I’m still looking into a rubberized undercoating for under the car and for the wheel wells. If any of you guys know of some place in the Los Angeles area let me know.

Old 11-30-2002, 02:09 PM
ZON

That's a good idea. I am thinking of doing that sometime. Let us know if it made a good difference on the freeway please!!
How much weight do you think it added?
Old 11-30-2002, 02:15 PM
Autobahn

For the 35 Sq ft of Broad Bread (standard not extreme) I'm guessing about 25lbs. Cetainly not enough to worry about!

Old 12-01-2002, 10:19 AM
Autobahn

Did some testing today. Drove around a couple of Los Angeles freeways and it is QUIETER. It's noticeable but you couldn't forget for a second you're in a powerful sports car. I'm guessing but it probably sounds closer to a G35 if I remember my last test drive correctly. I'm going to continue on with what will probably be a 3 or 4 step process:

Step 1: Install 35 sq ft of Brown Bread under seats and in hatch area along with hoodliner material - DONE

http://www.b-quiet.com/brownbread.html

Step 2: Spray 4-6 cans of "rubberized undercoating" material on inside of wheel wells and on exposed metal undercarriage. This would cost about $60 for material. I guess I have to figure out how to clean the underside first. I also may elect to have the car professionally undercoated if I can find a place in the LA area. I've called some places that were pretty distant and it seems like the going rate is about $275.

http://www.pjhbrands.com/vht/sprayundercoating.htm

http://www.icarpartsstore.com/Automo...re/s_2365.html

Step 3: Maybe apply either or the two materials above to the doors if I feel ambitious. BIG maybe!

Step 4: Final step will be about 1-2 years from now whn I replace the awfully noisey Potenza RE04's with S02's or some other tire that's supposed to be quieter.

Old 12-04-2002, 07:35 PM
Autobahn

Default Added dynomat Extreme to doors

Here's more input just in case anyone is interested.

This is in addition to the brown bread and hood liner I previously installed.

Yesterday I went to a stereo shop and had them install a Dynomat Extreme door kit for $129. I can't tell you how much the combination of sound insulation under the carpet, the spare tire area, and now the doors, has quieted this car. It really makes the car seem much more solid. While I was at the stereo store I also had them install replacement rear speakers to replace the back two 6 1/2" Bose speakers. Again I know that the back speakers being "muddy" is no big deal but I really like the way it sounds with my two new rear Eclipse Point Source 6 1/2's. The slight stereo upgrade combined with the sound insulation really has improved my driving experience. Total spent for sound insulation alone was about $290.

Old 12-04-2002, 08:40 PM
all_bark

How much time? and effort?
Old 12-04-2002, 08:47 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it wasnt cost, it was weight, people replace hoods for 10lbs, replace seats for 15lbs, remove spare tires for 45lbs. 25 lbs is 25lbs, tho I think it probably weighed more than that.... that stuffs pretty damn heavy from what people say.
Old 12-05-2002, 03:56 PM
Autobahn

I probably spent about 4 hours to do the hood liner and pull the seats and lift up the carpet and the spare tire. It really was pretty easy. I thought the doors would be harder that's why I had it done at a stereo shop. It took the installer about an hour and a half to do both doors. I know folks are concerned about the weight but being very conservative It's definitely not over about 35-40lbs for about 45sq ft of material which is what I have with the floor and doors combined.
Old 12-05-2002, 05:48 PM
Autobahn

I probably spent about 4 hours to do the hood liner and pull the seats and lift up the carpet and the spare tire. It really was pretty easy. I thought the doors would be harder that's why I had it done at a stereo shop. It took the installer about an hour and a half to do both doors. I know folks are concerned about the weight but being very conservative It's definitely not over about 35-40lbs for about 45sq ft of material which is what I have with the floor and doors combined.
Old 12-06-2002, 08:40 AM
mwaller

Can someone please comment about installation of these sound insulation materials? For instance, do you cover holes, screw heads etc in the metal panel, or do you cut around them? Do you apply it in small pieces that overlap? How do you get it to the rite size/shape without buckling on a complex surface?
Thanks!
Mika