Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

how to replace back speakers

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2005, 08:28 AM
gerthiekins

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to replace back speakers

Does anyone have a write up or know what you will need to do to remove the 6" speakers in the back I am wanting to replace those as they suck horribly, also does anyone know for sure, supposedly through crutchfield you can order the wireharness and it is just plug in the harness and then to the new speakers and it will work. i ahve heard yif you change anything out you have to rewire everything??
Old 05-26-2005, 10:59 AM
gerthiekins

Also I was wanting to put the 6 3/4" Alpine SPR 17lp in the backspeakers. i can get those because i have credit at best buy to use adn i have to get audio equipment? Would it be worth getting those speakers and replacing the stock ones in the back. Would they sound better even if thats all i did, not replacing the amp or the headunit or anything of the sort.
Old 05-26-2005, 12:25 PM
Christopher

rreplacing the rear speaker is a pain in the A$$. you have to remove all the plastic panels to get to them , ALLLLLLLLLLLL PLASTIC PANELSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS, biggest crap design everrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-26-2005, 09:56 PM
OUTBURZT

Originally Posted by Christopher
rreplacing the rear speaker is a pain in the A$$. you have to remove all the plastic panels to get to them , ALLLLLLLLLLLL PLASTIC PANELSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS, biggest crap design everrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WHAT??? HOW MANY CARS HAVE YOU WORKED ON???? IT TAKES 3 MINUTES (if that) to "POP" NOT UNSCREW 110 SCREWS.. to POP off those lil plastic caps. Either your really uncoordinated or really inexperienced.

ANYWAYS. BTW the speakers arent 6's in the rear. They are 6.5. I installed alpine type x's in the back of mine. Took 20-25 minutes. I had to cut out the stock screen/grille because I bought the alpines for there hot looking grille as well as there sound. Gl though
Old 05-27-2005, 06:58 AM
gerthiekins

yeah but what do you think of jus tputting them in there with no aftermarket amp and just having them replace the speakers that are in their now, woudl it be worth it??? I have credit at best buy to use adn i have to use it towards speakers.
Old 05-27-2005, 07:35 AM
TXSTYLE
Banned

Moved to Audio/Video forum.
Old 05-27-2005, 07:51 AM
jkoc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gerthiekins
Does anyone have a write up or know what you will need to do to remove the 6" speakers in the back I am wanting to replace those as they suck horribly, also does anyone know for sure, supposedly through crutchfield you can order the wireharness and it is just plug in the harness and then to the new speakers and it will work. i ahve heard yif you change anything out you have to rewire everything??
hello, i just replaced my rears last night with alpine sps-170's -- not quite the same as what you mentioned but these are 6.5" and the holes on the speaker aligned perfectly without modification to the bolts/holes from the stock speakers.

https://my350z.com/forum/audio-and-video/124938-alpine-sps-170a.html

replacing just the rears are pretty darn easy. removing the panels is pretty simple too. the REAL pain is putting the dang panels back on -- i broke a couple plastic clips doing it -- very annoying -- but thats where i bet you will have the most struggle. the job took me 45mins (removing panels, installing speakers, wiring them), then additional 30 frustrating minutes re-installing the panels and aligning the clips.

theres a HOW-TO on removing the panels to your rear speakers here:
https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=26837

when you get to removing the two "hump" panels, i found that trying to remove it from the trunk side was useless. the easiest way for me was to get in between the seat and speakers and attack it by unclipping just the top part of the glovebox/subwoofer panel , then tugging up on the two-hump panel -- snapped right off without problems.
Old 05-27-2005, 07:55 AM
jkoc

oh and, as for the wiring, i kind of viciously trashed my rear speaker cuz i hated it so much -- but in doing so, i carefully snapped off the WHITE socket that is attached to the stock rear speaker. i reused this thing on the new speakers so that i dont have to cut the stock brownish wiring plug. just solder the speaker wire + and - to the white socket's metal terminals..... if you want to somehow reuse the stock speakers, then dont do this

pay attention to polarity -- check which metal tab is for + and - when the brown plug goes in. heh

Last edited by jkoc; 05-27-2005 at 08:00 AM.
Old 05-27-2005, 08:06 AM
jkoc

lastly, wire colours:

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....ght+green+wire

===============================

The two front speakers both have Red and Blue wires...

Red is positive-
Blue is negative-

The Driver's side (left) rear speaker has a Light Green wire and Black/Yellow wire...

Light Green is positive-
Black/Yellow is negative-

The Passenger's side (right) rear speaker has a Green/White wire and a Solid Green wire...

Green/White is positive-
Solid Green is negative-

Hope this helps for all those do-it-yourself Z owners!!!
--------------
Old 05-27-2005, 08:36 AM
gerthiekins

how does those new speakers sound? do u have them aplified or did u just replace them??
Old 05-27-2005, 09:40 AM
jkoc

they sound great for rear speakers -- actually i think theyre a bit overkill for what i want them to do in the back.. (just fill out the sound and add a lil more bass coming from the rear) --- i would say theyre not as good as the infinity's that i have up front IMO.

i was just looking for a cheap audio upgrade to just patch up the sound. no aftermarket amps.. just a straight replacement. huge difference still. i'd imagine if i got a real amp, it would be a lot better.
Old 05-27-2005, 11:13 AM
gerthiekins

ok great thanks and u got the sps ones i will get the spr's if i do, and if i do not sell my in dash jensen flip out unit i will be putting that in, hhhhmmm? I need something just a bit more in there i think i might do it although i dunno about taking all that plastic crap off.
Old 05-27-2005, 01:54 PM
Santacruzslick
Veteran

Originally Posted by OUTBURZT
WHAT??? HOW MANY CARS HAVE YOU WORKED ON???? IT TAKES 3 MINUTES (if that) to "POP" NOT UNSCREW 110 SCREWS.. to POP off those lil plastic caps. Either your really uncoordinated or really inexperienced.

ANYWAYS. BTW the speakers arent 6's in the rear. They are 6.5. I installed alpine type x's in the back of mine. Took 20-25 minutes. I had to cut out the stock screen/grille because I bought the alpines for there hot looking grille as well as there sound. Gl though
So you cut out the screen over the rears? Do you have any pics. of this? I've been thinking about doing that since my speakers look pretty cool. LOL
Old 05-28-2005, 08:28 PM
OUTBURZT

Yeah I got a digital cam but not really into putting pics on the websites

the circle piece that is holding the speaker grille on is held by to clips and and 2 melted plastic peices. For some stupid reason I thought the whole thing would pop out easier so I cut those melted pieces (do not do this) and popped the whole cover out. Just cutt the screen crap out and screw the speakers with the covers over that onto that piece with teh 2 clips and melted plastic. I hope this makes sense, IO cant think my girlfreind is looking at me and yelling and doing what chics do. WTF

Last edited by OUTBURZT; 05-28-2005 at 08:33 PM.
Old 05-28-2005, 08:34 PM
OUTBURZT

P.S I would show you a pic but you have to many smiley faces
Old 05-28-2005, 08:36 PM
Santacruzslick
Veteran

Yeah I got a digital cam but not really into putting pics on the websites

the circle piece that is holding the speaker grille on is held by to clips and and 2 melted plastic peices. For some stupid reason I thought the whole thing would pop out easier so I cut those melted pieces (do not do this) and popped the whole cover out. Just cutt the screen crap out and screw the speakers with the covers over that onto that piece with teh 2 clips and melted plastic. I hope this makes sense, IO cant think my girlfreind is looking at me and yelling and doing what chics do. WTF
Wait...what? LOL

Oh...my rear speaker things are diff. than yours. The roadster has a different panel there. I wonder how close the speakers are to the plastic. I wouldn't want to cut the holes out and have the speaker be set like an inch back.
Old 05-28-2005, 08:37 PM
Santacruzslick
Veteran

P.S I would show you a pic but you have to many smiley faces
Too many! If anything there aren't enough!
Old 05-31-2005, 12:57 PM
OUTBURZT

Originally Posted by Santacruzslick
Wait...what? LOL

Oh...my rear speaker things are diff. than yours. The roadster has a different panel there. I wonder how close the speakers are to the plastic. I wouldn't want to cut the holes out and have the speaker be set like an inch back.
No they are back a little bit. Thats why you just cut the screen out and not the ring holding the screen in. There not going into the same place they were at. They will be about a half an inch or so.

P.S> TRUST ME!!!THERE ARE PLENTY ENOUGH!!
Old 06-01-2005, 10:06 AM
Tackett

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive thought about putting another set of woofers in the rear and running them on a low pass filter <80hz "mini-subs" might be a decent compliment.
Old 06-02-2005, 12:27 AM
limeg35

Last edited by limeg35; 06-02-2005 at 12:30 AM.