Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

10" subs? What should I buy?? (newbie)

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 01:41 PM
BlueBlur

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 10" subs? What should I buy?? (newbie)

I am a newbie to the whole car stereo deal & I recently bought a set of MBQuarts component system that I liked b/c the high highs that they have.

I am looking for a 10" sub wolfer though to add to the system to give it a little bass. Not overwhelmed but enough to add some thump to the sound Can anyone suggest a good sub?......Thank in advance!!
Old 08-11-2005, 02:46 PM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Pyramid is the way to go.
Attached Thumbnails 10" subs? What should I buy?? (newbie)-pw1065usx.jpg  
Old 08-11-2005, 02:58 PM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where are you going to put it?

If in the stock position you'll need a "free air" woofer as that area is really leaky.

If in a box you'll need to know the volume in square feet of the box.
Old 08-11-2005, 05:29 PM
BlueBlur

Actually the guy in Ocean Audio(name of the shop) builds a custom box to put in the factory location. His shop loves Boston & Focal but I just want something that is going to compliment the MBQuarts but doesn't "propell me down the street" as one person put it....hope that helps narrow it down
Old 08-11-2005, 06:13 PM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Nope.

How many cubic feet is the box?
Old 08-11-2005, 08:22 PM
MyZNeo

JL Audio makes a great box w/ 2 10's that is custom fit between the rear strut bar and rear panel. I put one in w/ a JL Audio 250/1 suppling the juice. Has the thump when you want it and sweet bass when needed. I also replaced all the stock Bose speakers with Polk Audio pro components.... By the way if you have the stock 10, DUMP IT TO!

Next pieces will be a JL Audio 300/4 to power an Alpine in-dash DVD unit... then the sound system will be complete!
Old 08-12-2005, 04:43 AM
SkiTTlez

if you are already going with MB Quarts in the doors, go ahead and get the MB Quart Reference 10 as well. i just picked one up and it hits like Tommy Lee wailing on Pam Anderson....
Old 08-12-2005, 02:57 PM
stopgo

Originally Posted by BlueBlur
Actually the guy in Ocean Audio(name of the shop) builds a custom box to put in the factory location. His shop loves Boston & Focal but I just want something that is going to compliment the MBQuarts but doesn't "propell me down the street" as one person put it....hope that helps narrow it down
Could you PM contact info for this shop? I'm looking to put a sub in the stock location but I don't trust the local audio shops to do it. In fact, I'm looking to go with a Boston sub.

Thx
Old 08-12-2005, 04:16 PM
MIAPLAYA

eD makes a very nice 10" sub....also check JL Audio 10W3v2.
Old 08-12-2005, 06:35 PM
ANXIOUZ

I have an Alpine Type-R. It's a bit boomy IMO. So I'd recommend it if you listen to electronic or R&B/rap stuff.
Old 08-13-2005, 12:22 PM
BlueBlur

So we have reccomendations as follows" Alpine Type-R,ED, (2) for JL Audio & MB Quart Reference 10......What model JL Audio did you say it was "MyZNeo"?

Paul350Z I am sorry but I still don't know what the cu-in are. I really wish that I did b/c I know that it makes a difference

Could you PM contact info for this shop? I'm looking to put a sub in the stock location but I don't trust the local audio shops to do it. In fact, I'm looking to go with a Boston sub.

Thx
PM sent!!....
Old 08-13-2005, 01:20 PM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Originally Posted by BlueBlur
Paul350Z I am sorry but I still don't know what the cu-in are. I really wish that I did b/c I know that it makes a difference
Just all the difference.

The reason JL and the rest make so many different subwoofers of a given size isn't to find exactly how much money you can afford to spend - OK it is - but they also manufacture them to work in different sized boxes. The box and driver interact to form a system.

YOU CAN'T SIMPLY THROW A DRIVER IN A BOX EVEN BEGIN TO THINK IT SOUNDS GOOD UNLESS YOU GOT LUCKY.

I can take the "best" (what people might would call the most expensive) woofer on the planet and make it sound weak by stuffing it into a box with the wrong Qtc. I can take a "bad" (what people might call cheap) driver and match it to the cabinet that it's dropped into and get some nice sound from it. Two guys named Thiel and Small figured out the science of speakers in boxes a long time ago ... apparently nobody either knows acoustics or how to read ... (or both!).
Old 08-13-2005, 05:03 PM
BlueBlur

Just all the difference.

The reason JL and the rest make so many different subwoofers of a given size isn't to find exactly how much money you can afford to spend - OK it is - but they also manufacture them to work in different sized boxes. The box and driver interact to form a system.

YOU CAN'T SIMPLY THROW A DRIVER IN A BOX EVEN BEGIN TO THINK IT SOUNDS GOOD UNLESS YOU GOT LUCKY.

I can take the "best" (what people might would call the most expensive) woofer on the planet and make it sound weak by stuffing it into a box with the wrong Qtc. I can take a "bad" (what people might call cheap) driver and match it to the cabinet that it's dropped into and get some nice sound from it. Two guys named Thiel and Small figured out the science of speakers in boxes a long time ago ... apparently nobody either knows acoustics or how to read ... (or both!).
I know that all of those things come into play which is why when you mention the above post & all of the different subs it is almost make me just want to go with the Boston Sub b/c the guy @ the shop knows how to build the box for that location & exactly what size to make the box to make the sub sound good. He seems to know what he is talking about & actually reccommended the Focal that everyone seems to like. I just liked the sound of the MB Quarts better. The Sub is my only missing piece. Thanks for the input. I might just buy the Boston & then get him to fit it in there for the day. ...JL Audio is a name I know though...Boston is not...niether is Focal but I have been out of this for sooo long...
Old 08-16-2005, 11:13 AM
billet350

i order the alpine type X and i think thats one of the baddest subs.. Im placing it where my rear strut bar is .. One sub is 3000 watts, the best alpine with of course the v12 amp. I also ordered the AVIC D1 pioneer for my new headunit/nav
Old 08-16-2005, 11:36 AM
GQ 350z

*cough* qtc of .707 *cough*

Hahah Paul is right though--the enclosure is extremely, extremely important.

ravi
Old 08-16-2005, 11:54 AM
03'350z

I Went With The 10" Kicker Comp. Sub. Its A Free Air So Im Putting It In The Stock Location, Very Important To Put Some Sound Deading Material In Stock Location. Right Now You Cant Go Wrong The Sub Was 40.00 At Millionbuy.com This Should Be A Decent Replacement Over Stock Sub
I JUST BOUGHT MY Z THIS WEEK AND WENT WITH PAULS ADVICE AND WENT AND BOUGHT THE FAR. 7" MONITOR, ALSO BOUGHT KENWOOD MIDS, NOW IM LOOKING FOR A DVD/CD PLAYER FOR THE DASH
Old 08-16-2005, 12:54 PM
BlueBlur

UPDATE

I went with the JL Audio Steath box with two 10W3V2 & a JL Audio 500/1 channel amp. That is what the guy @ the shop reccomended. I hope that he can put the 2 amps in the factory 10" location.....Everyone seemed to reccoment JL Audio......I hope that they don't purpel me down the street but only just add some bass to the existing set up
Old 08-16-2005, 02:55 PM
MyZNeo

Bluebur,
Go with the 250/1, I am running the same JL stelth setup and I have the gain down to about 1/4 with the stock headunit. Otherwise you will be propelled...... remember it is a small cockpit!
Old 08-17-2005, 06:19 AM
03'350z

i agree, that is going to be way to much power for the way i think your going to be using the subs
Old 08-17-2005, 10:07 AM
ca_craftsmen

I'd go with a Diamond 10" shallow mount or an Eclipse titanium or aluminium series 10" in a custom box.

It's all about the box. A good box can make a pice of crap sub sound like smooth thunder.

Quick Reply: 10" subs? What should I buy?? (newbie)