Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Need help from experienced NAV/DVD decisions...

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2002, 05:26 PM
MacGuru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help from experienced NAV/DVD decisions...

Hello everyone I know and don't know...

Well, my girlfriend finally agreen to getting me stuff for my Z for Xmas (she kept asking what I wanted, and I just kept saying stuff for the car. She wouldn't budge... but I got her her gift early and she's so happy, she said I can get whatever I wanted for the car. So I decided to seek the advice of fellow Z audiofiles on what would be the best configuration of equipmnent to get. I did not get the factory nav and I'm glad I didn't. All I have is the empty hole like so many others. Now as far as appearances go, I want this to look completely professional and clean, meaning no spaces, gaps, etc. I really like the install of the Farenheit screen (see pic below) but I need to confirm that this is the best screen for me. I'm keeping the Bose because I like the stock look, although I would love to scrap. That's a whole new project in itself. What I'm looking for right now is the following:

SCREEN - don't know what kind, but I want the cleanest install possible (see pic). Farenheit seems to be the best looking, but is it the right screen to view DVD's and Navigation systems?

DVD - Ability to play DVD's, I assume this requires a DVD player and FM modulator. Are there DVD/TV tuner combinations? What kind of antenna would be needed? I've only seen rabit ear antenas and I would never put one on my car. Has to look like sat radio antenas, should be small and have an areodynamic look.

NAV - Navigation system I am least knowlegable. No idea where to begin! What is required for the complete system?

Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions.
Attached Thumbnails Need help from experienced NAV/DVD decisions...-t-7001mhr_back.jpg  
Old 12-18-2002, 05:28 PM
MacGuru

I can't remember who's install this was, but it's the cleanest I've seen.
Thanks again. -m
Attached Thumbnails Need help from experienced NAV/DVD decisions...-t-7001mhr_front.jpg  
Old 12-19-2002, 06:44 AM
rouxeny

You're in the same boat I'm in. I think I've narrowed my choices down to the Farenheit screen, along with the Pioneer Nav unit. It plays DVD's. My only remaining issues are technical. I think the Pioneer comes with a small speaker through which the NAV directions are played. I'm not sure how the DVD movie sounds comes out. I assume it has to be hooked up to a FM modulator. That doesn't sound like an ideal situation, but like you, I'm interested in keeping the Bose, at least for now. IF I get a HU eventually, and it's a brand other than Pioneer, I assume I'll still have to use a modulator of movie sound. However, if I get a Pioneer HU, will both the NAV and movie be able to come through the audio system? I haven't found good answers for these questions yet.

Other screens that fit include the Alpine one.

That's not a true install you're looking at. Scafremon just took the dash apart and test fit the screen to see how it'd go. I think he eventually sold the screen. He did say the fit was good.
Old 12-19-2002, 07:26 AM
MacGuru

So who will be the first to intergrate the stock hu with an aftermarket Nav? Looks like everyone who's installed am Nav went with a new HU. How is the FM Mod for sound quality with DVD's?
Old 12-19-2002, 08:23 AM
mysteriumZ
Charter Member #101

hey guys, i'm not sure if the farenheit monitor can be used for NAV. it seems to me that you will need a VGA input inorder to play the nav, or at least some kinda rgb converter. the farenheit only has 2 regular inputs which will not work with the nav, i believe. there are monitors which come with RGB transfer, but they are at least 600 or more. btw, are you guys talking about the 5.8 or the 7 inch screen from farenheit.

in my opinion, the pioneer nav is the best, it plays dvd as well. however, its still expensive, 1200 for the system with out the monitor. i'll probably wait for the price to come down. mean while i may just the the farenhiet 5.8 inch screen along with the farenhiet dvd/tv tunner player for about 450.
Old 12-19-2002, 08:57 AM
MacGuru

So the Farenheit only accepts RGB signal input? Does this mean all DVD/Nav systems use VGA output? If I use a converter, will I have problems with video resolutions? i.e. poor quality. Does the Farenheit 5.8 screen have VGA inputs to match standard DVD/Nav systems? Sorry if I asking basic questions, but I'm learing here. Please clarify any misunderstanding I may have. Thanks. -m
Old 12-19-2002, 11:00 AM
rouxeny

There's a screen made my Microvision, which has been sucessfully used with the Pioneer nav. A previous member on this board, Bjmnzzz (I think) had this setup. Although, I hear he is currently in the process of selling the Z.
Old 12-19-2002, 02:16 PM
qirex

in terms of the nav - your options are kenwood (nice touch screen but $$$), pioneer and alpine.

I went with the alpine.

The screen is great and I like the fast speed of the unit. I like how it switches to diff displays automaically depensind on your proximity to nav points (intersections).
The sound comes out of a lil speaker in the monitor. You can hook it up to a line in amp, fm mod also.
for dvds you can do the same or go full 5.1 amp and speakers.

heres my install.

Old 12-19-2002, 05:12 PM
MacGuru

qirex - I do you like your install.
However, I was hoping to maximize the enclosure with the largesat possible screen, hence the 7" Farenheit. Is it possible to have a Nav and DVD on the Farenheit 7"? ( I this this was answered yes.) If a FM Mod is required, what is the drawback?
Old 12-19-2002, 06:36 PM
Scafremon

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll try and help with some with information I have compiled.

As rouxeny mentioned, those pictures above are from a test install I did with the 7" Farenheit. It did fit perfectly. That screen will also display video input signals very nicely, as I played a DVD movie on the screen from my laptop computer.

Most LCD screen you will find on the market are designed primarily for displaying video. They will have one or two sets of video inputs, using RCA connectors. This is called composite video. These inputs accept video that is the NTSC or PAL formats.

Some LCD screens have a dedicated Navigation input. These screens are usually made by companies (such as Alpine) that also provide Nav systems. The dedicated NAV input accepts RGB signals. The Alpine Screen that qirex installed has both of these inputs- a dedicated Nav input (RGB), and also a couple composite video inputs (RCA) . I believe that he will confirm that when he wants to switch between Nav and playing a movie, he switches the input to his screen somewhere on his system.

Since the Farenheit doesn't have a dedicated NAV (RGB) input, you will need to convert the RGB output from your Nav system to NTSC. Clarion offers this product to do just that. You maybe able to find a similiar converter for even less. I think that you can purchase a Farenheit screen and a converter for less then the Alpine screen.

The above is how I understand the video portion of this project. As for audio, I think you will need an FM modulator if you want to keep your current head unit, as it doesn't have auxillary sound inputs. Replacing your HU will probably get youaux sound inputs that you can then use with your navigation/DVD playing unit.

Do some information searching at www.alpine1.com , www.pioneerelectronics.com , www.clarion.com . Read the pdf manuals for different products. That is basically what I did (along with some bulletin boards, newsgroups, etc) to try and sort this information out for a novice such as myself.
Attached Thumbnails Need help from experienced NAV/DVD decisions...-pb090004.jpg  
Old 12-19-2002, 06:45 PM
Scafremon

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One more thing: You don't need to think VGA. That is computer speak, and is actually the direction I was (and still might be) headed. The LCD screens wesee for cars do not accept VGA input. I tried to display a VGA signal on these screens, and they just don't know what to do. For one thing, they do not have enough vertical pixels to display a VGA signal (they are 234 pixels high, and VGA is 480 pixels high)

I currently have a VGA monitor that I am thinking about installing, so I can use a computer with navigation software. But, VGA screens are taller then the normal screens we see for car installation, and it will require major mods to the navigation area to fit.

You only need a VGA screen if you are planning on sending a VGA signal to your screen, and DVD players and Navigation systems do not send signals in VGA format.
Old 12-19-2002, 08:02 PM
abz123

I have a handheld GPS unit that I used on occasions with a laptop. The unit has a pc interface cable and can be used in conjunction with Microsoft Map point software. You would need a laptop or pc with a video out. Most new video cards have this feature. A 'mini stereo to rca' cable and modulator would take care of sound. With a dvd unit, you can play DVD. With a wireless card, you could tap into internet. All can be done using one lcd video input.

One thing I'm concerned with is temperature. It would not operate well if left in summer tempatures of 100+.

Another problem as has pointed out is the video quality and resolution
Old 12-19-2002, 08:08 PM
abz123

Do you have a link to that post...I am interested in how the 7" was mounted.

[i]
That's not a true install you're looking at. Scafremon just took the dash apart and test fit the screen to see how it'd go. I think he eventually sold the screen. He did say the fit was good. [/B]
Old 12-20-2002, 07:05 PM
MacGuru

Thanks Scafremon. Now I finally have an understanding of where to go from here. Looks like I need to get a screen that accepts both composite and RGB, but fits like the Farenheit. I'll do some research and let everyone know what I find. Thanks again for everyone's input. Cheers. -m