Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Tuner not working on aftermarket Headunit. Plz Help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2005 | 02:51 PM
HockeyZ39

Default Tuner not working on aftermarket Headunit. Plz Help!

I bought my 350z used and it came with a Pioneer DEH-P7600MP installed, it has XM capability and I believe the XM was set up by the pervious owner. When I try to go to tuner mode it seems like there is no antenna, nothing comes in (which is why I think the XM was set up.)

I know that XM uses a separate antenna and was thinking that is the cause of the problem. I was thinking that the regular antenna just needs to be inserted in the jack on the back of the head unit, am I on the right track???

I pulled the dash off real fast and took a look, couldn’t find anything that looked loose that fits the description of an antenna wire. What was plugged into the antenna spot had extra wires coming out of it that went into another adapter which lead to the head unit.

Am I wrong on my diagnosis of the problem? Could the XM have been set up to the stock antenna? I tried going through all the menu's on the head unit but didn't have much luck there either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I am getting sick of having to listen to cd's over and over and don’t want to pay some one to fix if it can be done in my garage! TIA
Old 09-24-2005 | 05:55 PM
KPierson
Banned

On a Pioneer head unit its hard to tell. IF XM existed there would most likely be a XM tuner box (I don't believe anyone is building them IN the head units yet). The box would be connected via the IP-bus cable, this is a cable that has a square plug on the end.

Some Pioneer units have selectable sources on them. You can hold the 'function' button down while the power is off and enter in to a menu that will allow you to select your sources. You may or may not be able to do this! The Sat Ant would plug in to the tuner box, the the head unit, and will have either a green and yellow plug, or a reddish plug. If the ant is not connected the display will usually say 'No Ant' or something along those lines.
Old 09-24-2005 | 07:23 PM
HockeyZ39

Thank you very much for your help I dont remember seeing a box behind the head unit, I am going to pull it off again tomorrow and take some pics. I tried going into the menu with the power off, and no source selection I also dont get any "no antenna" msg's. Sorry for my lack of knowlege in this department! I'll have some pics up early tomorrow morning!
Old 09-24-2005 | 08:25 PM
KPierson
Banned

The tuner box wouldn't sit behind the radio, it would be tucked away somewhere. They are kinda big.
Old 09-24-2005 | 11:24 PM
usmanasif

i would suggest downloading the free manual for that HU from www.pioneerelectronics.com . It is probably a simple source-selection issue. It won't say 'No Antenna' for the FM.

BTW, the FM antenna goes into a deeeeeeeeeep whole in a corner behind the HU. Check and see what's there. Apart from the XM antenna (looks like a harness) and the main HU harness itself, there should be no other wire back there. If there is, it is the FM antenna cable.

Also, Pioneer's XM module is a long and wide, but skinny silver box. There is only one kind they make. And yes, it will probably not be sitting right behind the HU, but closeby nonetheless.
Old 09-25-2005 | 08:14 AM
HockeyZ39

Ok here are some pics, from what I can see it seems the antenna is plugged in. After d/ling the manual I have found I am not in XM mode so if the antenna were plugged in it should be working. Does the XM box plug into the head unit in the normal antenna spot? I found a black wire that looked like it should be behind a screw (a ground maybe? see pic) that was just loose, could that effect the reception? Thanks for your ongoing help guys, I’m leaving the dash off for now so let me know if you need to see anything else.

Old 09-25-2005 | 08:24 AM
KPierson
Banned

I'm confused. Is your FM tuner not working or your XM tuner?

I thought you were saying your HU would switch to XM mode but no stations would come in. But, now it sounds like you can't get any FM stations to come in.

Either way, the little blue square plug on the right in the last pic is the Aux IP-bus port. You can use it for CD changers, XM, or just an Aux input.
Old 09-25-2005 | 08:26 AM
HockeyZ39

Sorry for the confusion, my FM stations will not come in.

If there is no XM, and the antenna seems to be plugged in what other cause could there be for my Tuner not comming in? Could it be that black wire that is just hanging loose?
Old 09-25-2005 | 08:29 AM
neur0sis

From the looks of it on that last pic, the Blue/White wire on the left (from the white harness) should be tapped into the Blue/White wire from the radio (currently tapped with a larger WHITE wire with a locknut).

The stock Z stereo system has a powered Antenna (boosted signal, not power up/down) so it needs a small ammount of voltage when the radio is on to get signal.

Cross check with your radio owners manual, to make sure that the blue/white wire coming out of the Pioneer is for "Power Antenna" or "Remote lead" , and try connecting it (along with the white wire - so two wires connected to the Pioneers 1 wire) , and let us know what happens.
Old 09-25-2005 | 08:32 AM
KPierson
Banned

Its hard to see in the pictures, but the wire doesn't look 'right.'

The blue/white wire coming from the head unit is connected to a white wire. What is the white wire? This is the power antenna wire and needs to be hooked up to your antenna amplifier. If it is FM you arn't getting, this may be your problem. The white wire appears that it doesn't go through the harness. You may want to try and connect the blue/white wire from the radio to the blue or blue/white wire in your car's harness (it looks like there is one there.)

As far as the back wire goes it is hard to say. If it is straight black it should be grounded, but it won't prevent your tuner from working if its not. Car stereos are set up to get their ground source from one of three places, the metal chassis (in an iso mount, not here cuz your kit is plastic), the black wire in the harness, and/or the antenna plug. If your antenna is plugged in and your black wire isn't hooked up the radio will still come on and should function as normal (although I wouldn't recomend doing it this way!)
Old 09-25-2005 | 08:36 AM
KPierson
Banned

Oh, and just for clarification, like I said, the XM tuner will plug in to the IP-Bus port. The XM tuner box will then have recpeticals for the XM antenna. XM does NOT use your FM/AM antenna in any way. They are completely separate.
Old 09-25-2005 | 09:09 AM
HockeyZ39

I connected the blue/white wire from the harness to the blue/white and white wire under the locknut and the outcome was still the same static. I did read the pioneer manual and it does appear that the blue/white is for power antenna. I dont know if this means anything but I have an aftermarket antenna, I tried throwing on my roomates (s2000 antenna) and the radio still did not come in.

Could a blown fuse have anything to do with this?

Last edited by HockeyZ39; 09-25-2005 at 09:12 AM.
Old 09-25-2005 | 09:19 AM
HockeyZ39

Im having a hard time reading the wire diagram in the Z service manual, would you more expieranced guys know what color wire should go into the harness for the power antenna? The one that becomes the blue/white.

EDIT: Ok I think the power antenna is the green/white wire that is comming from the black antenna wire. I noticed it goes into the bigger harness and comes out the otherside as a solid blue wire which is not attached to anything. You guys think this could be the right wire? I dont want to blow anything up so im asking first

I still cant seem to find what the hell that white wire is either.

Last edited by HockeyZ39; 09-25-2005 at 09:38 AM.
Old 09-25-2005 | 10:25 AM
HockeyZ39

Ok last post I promise

here are the wire diagrams I was looking at.

this shows the antenna as the green/white:

this shows that the blue white is for the power antenna:

Old 09-25-2005 | 11:28 AM
KPierson
Banned

I would try hooking it up. If I read your response correctly it sounds like the solid blue wire you are referring to is part of the aftermarket harness that is connected to interface your radio to the car. If the blue wire is in the aftermarket harness (that plugs in to your factory harness) and leads to the green/white wire then go for it!
Old 09-25-2005 | 12:17 PM
HockeyZ39

Its working guys! The white/green into the blue was the wire that needed to be connected to the blue/white.

Thank you very very much for all your help.