Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Good Ole Bose.. and a replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2005, 02:34 PM
paul1994

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Good Ole Bose.. and a replacement

I am wondering if you replace the Bose head deck will the speakers already install function as normal. I can't complain about the system now, but I am thinking I want to do an aftermarket with navigation. Like the eclipse deck.

But if I replace the head unit is there and factory amp I need to worry about?
Will the sound be any worst if I switch out the Factory Head deck and leave the stock speakers?

I want to switch out the headunit but not do the speakers or amps yet..

I am in a 04 Touring with the Bose sound system.

Thaks
Old 10-13-2005, 02:51 PM
kpiskin

I'm the opposite. I want to replace the speakers and keep the HU. My dealership replaced the amp and head unit and my system sounds quite a bit better than it did originally.
Old 10-13-2005, 04:26 PM
gabez33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, there is a bose amp in the trunk of the car that everything is wired to, if you just switch head units everything will work normal. All I did was switch the head unit and it made a WORLD of difference in sound...now am considering keep the factory speakers and just adding some real bass. Dude the bose head unit is what making everything sound like crap...you more than likely get worse sound if you switch just the speakers cause they are all made specifically to work with the head unit....Bose car audio blows.........get a dif HU....then speakers just my 2
Old 10-13-2005, 05:42 PM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

'nuff said about the Bloze speakers and amplifier?
Old 10-13-2005, 05:58 PM
gabez33

LOL.....Is it possible to fit 2 L712's in the Z??
Old 10-13-2005, 08:26 PM
MrKaira
Really MrZ31

if it does fit i bet it sounds amazing... you do the install yourself?
Old 10-13-2005, 08:34 PM
md1400cs

Paul350Z,
GOOD pics. Worth a 1000 words. When I got rid of my OEM speakers and amp (first week I had the car) I was amazed at how cheap the OEM Bose junk really was. KEPT OEM head unit and trashed all the rest. AMAZING difference.
MJD
Old 10-15-2005, 12:08 AM
Demon Z

Not to hijack the thread, but I wanna get this straight....the back of the stock Bose HU has RCA's and such for a quick aftermarket swap? I honestly don't think my stock stereo sounds horrible or anything, just needs more sub-bass and I wanna have mp3 capability....so is it that easy? Thanx
Old 10-15-2005, 01:45 AM
usmanasif

Paul, I always look forward to seeing those comparitive pix of yours. Enough to make a believer out of the biggest OEM Bose fan!
Old 10-15-2005, 01:49 AM
usmanasif

Originally Posted by Demon Z
Not to hijack the thread, but I wanna get this straight....the back of the stock Bose HU has RCA's and such for a quick aftermarket swap? I honestly don't think my stock stereo sounds horrible or anything, just needs more sub-bass and I wanna have mp3 capability....so is it that easy? Thanx
Are you talking from the point of view of adding an iPod etc? If so, yes, the RCA jacks are for Aux input and you can add something to the HU.
Old 10-15-2005, 04:42 AM
Speedracer

...Bose car audio blows.........

It blows in the Z, but not in every application. The Bose system in my wife's '05 Maxima SE is simply amazing with the sound quality every bit as good as my $5400 Sony/JL/focal install. No Kidding. And.....have you ever heard the Bose system in an Infiniti M45? Other than maximum volume, the sound quality will blow the doors of almost any other system. So, it can be done right, they just skimped on the Z.

Also remember that many aftermarket components are specifically designed to look good a well as perform well. Obviously the Bose components are not designed for looks.

Last edited by Speedracer; 10-15-2005 at 04:44 AM.
Old 10-15-2005, 10:13 AM
Demon Z

Originally Posted by usmanasif
Are you talking from the point of view of adding an iPod etc? If so, yes, the RCA jacks are for Aux input and you can add something to the HU.
No, actually I meant pull the stock HU in favor of an aftermarket HU that plays mp3's. Sorry if I wasn't clear on that point.
Old 10-15-2005, 04:28 PM
usmanasif

Originally Posted by Demon Z
No, actually I meant pull the stock HU in favor of an aftermarket HU that plays mp3's. Sorry if I wasn't clear on that point.
If you're happy with the audio quality of the Bose and just want mp3 capability, switch it out with an '06 HU. There are bound to be several in the classifieds section soon. I am still not clear on what you meant by the connections on the back, but if you're replacing the HU, what difference do its connections make?
Old 10-15-2005, 05:28 PM
Demon Z

If you're happy with the audio quality of the Bose and just want mp3 capability, switch it out with an '06 HU. There are bound to be several in the classifieds section soon. I am still not clear on what you meant by the connections on the back, but if you're replacing the HU, what difference do its connections make?
Ok. Let me rephrase, hopefully more clearly. What kind of connections are there between the stock HU and the wiring to the stock amp? If they are RCA's, then can I assume that you could simply pull the stock head unit, hook up an aftermarket unit (preamp outs) and continue using the Bose amp to power the speakers? BTW, the '06 swap is a great idea, it's just that I already have a virtually new head unit currently collecting dust that I'd like to use. Sorry for any confusion.
Old 10-16-2005, 12:12 AM
usmanasif

I see. Bose's (tinny) amps run at a different ohm rating than aftermarket HUs provide and ohm modulators can fix that, but why would you want to send a clean, high powered signal to speakers that simply can't reproduce it well?

There have been many threads on that. Here's one: https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....aftermarket+HU
Old 10-16-2005, 12:40 AM
NisAznMonk

Originally Posted by Speedracer
...Bose car audio blows.........

It blows in the Z, but not in every application. The Bose system in my wife's '05 Maxima SE is simply amazing with the sound quality every bit as good as my $5400 Sony/JL/focal install. No Kidding. And.....have you ever heard the Bose system in an Infiniti M45? Other than maximum volume, the sound quality will blow the doors of almost any other system. So, it can be done right, they just skimped on the Z.

Also remember that many aftermarket components are specifically designed to look good a well as perform well. Obviously the Bose components are not designed for looks.
Nicely said. In the Z, BOSE blows. In a 05 Chevy Envoy, it is amazing.
Old 10-16-2005, 02:00 AM
Demon Z

I see. Bose's (tinny) amps run at a different ohm rating than aftermarket HUs provide and ohm modulators can fix that, but why would you want to send a clean, high powered signal to speakers that simply can't reproduce it well?

There have been many threads on that. Here's one: https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....aftermarket+HU
Ok. Point taken. I would have to agree that it would be much less hassle to just spend the extra money and effectively replace the entire system. Thanks for the link usmanasif.