Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

New system and one more!

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2005 | 08:02 PM
bcsaga

Default New system and one more!

I got my entire system installed. I wanted nothing fancy, just straight to the essential. I got:
Alpine 9855 HU
Alpine SPS-170A speakers front and rear
JL 300/4
JL 500/1
and JL Stealthbox with two 10w3 subs.
Love the bass, not so much the speakers, but will be okay for now.

Anyway, I got a metra dash kit to install 9855 and hated how the kit fits, and the not-so-din-sized storage cubby. So I decided to do a little weekend project.

I searched the forum and saw some brilliant ideas to cover up the whole mismatching black dash kit and came up with my idea, which is to cut a board to cover up the entire plastic area, including the cubby, revealing my HU only.

Board might be a thin piece of wood, plastic, or whatever I can get from a nearby Lowe's. (also have to be easy to cut, sand, etc) Paint the board with matching colr. Then, I thought of putting a suede or some sort of luxury-looking fabric on the plate which covers the cubby. Then, like what Merceds has done to SLR, put the whole 'Fairlady Z' emblem on the fabric.

I like the Z emblem, but I love the idea of putting big Fairlady Z emblem in the middle of the center console.

Anyway, just wanted to share with y'all my idea of covering that terrible dashkit. Double DIN HU, single DIN HU, doesn't matter. When that black piece of plastic is wide open to my view, I just can't stand it.

BTW, does anybody know the size of Fairlady Z emblem sold by Perf. Nissan?
Old 10-22-2005 | 08:24 PM
05-Z

I'm interested in doing the same thing, I can't stand the look of any dash kit for our car. I think I'm going to buy some plastic from partsexpress.com and use some bondo and make something custom. Then I'll have the whole middle dash painted PPW.

I've always considered the emblem idea, (nice silver accent) sort of like a Ferrari or something.
Old 10-23-2005 | 02:29 PM
bcsaga

Went to Lowe's, didn't find a board I liked.
I dunno. It was so easy to get ahold of thin plastic boards when I didn't need them, and suddenly when I need them, they are gone.

Anyway, I searched a bit more, and found extremespeedonline.com/sk sells Z engraved aluminum plate. He is a forum member here, wadd3456. I think I am gonna purchase that kit and play a little bit with it.