Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

I'll have to think up some train nickname for my car now...

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2005, 07:41 AM
Kaitain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'll have to think up some train nickname for my car now...

Well I’ve finally done it; gone mad that is. I’m precariously perched at a too small table at an atypical Florida strip mall bookstore *** coffee shop as I await the six hour installation of the beast…

What is the beast you ask? It’s not a turbocharger, or a supercharger, or any other kind of charger but it does blow. The beast I’m speaking of is a four chime train horn with compressor and air tank. Yes, that’s right, a train horn. Not one of those silly plastic things they make with the tiny little air pump. I’m talking full on, loud ***, train horn.

“Why would you do such a thing?” you might ask yourself. “What on earth would possess you to install such a useless, expensive thing?” If I could hear you I would answer, “Stupidity! Oh course.” That and I’m really sick of people driving in the passing lane.

Scaring the **** out of random people seems like a lot of fun too.

This is the kit I'm having installed:

This unit will blast for about 3 seconds and takes about 1 minute to refill the tank. The store unit actually did better than that getting 5 second blasts.
Old 10-29-2005, 08:07 AM
cessna

Thats awsome!!!!!

I used to have a 94' chev dullie, with a horn, and nothing , I mean NOTHING scares the **** out of pedestrians, other cars, wild life,
Post some pics of your engine bay when your done, as I'd like to do the same thing with my G!!!
Cheers
Old 10-29-2005, 08:52 AM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Six hours! Dang.

I have the two horns with the tiny compressor that let out a pretty good whelp but nothing that size. There is some guy that lives within a mile of me or so that has a set like that as occassionally I'll here a 3-5 second blast and there's not a train track within 10 miles of me. The sound reminds me of growing up on Chicago's south side which is covered in tracks.

On my Z I did replace the OEM horns with a pair of 132 dB "American" sounding horns after reading a guys story about a lady in a parking lot backing into his Z while he laid on the horn ... the lady just couldn't hear him.
Old 10-29-2005, 09:02 AM
DmanG281

Those things hurt!!
Old 10-29-2005, 09:34 AM
Kaitain

Six hours seemed like a long time to me too but they are having to be really creative with fitting all four of the horns inside the front bumper.

I replaced my stock horns too, the new ones have a deeper, less gay sound but they just aren't loud enough.
Old 10-29-2005, 09:36 AM
Tackett

I want one. Where did you get it and how much?
Old 10-29-2005, 10:02 AM
Roger V

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, w-e-i-g-h-t reduction
Old 10-29-2005, 10:03 AM
Kaitain

You can get the kit for about $460 from Hornblasters. I looked around and their prices were pretty good for everything you get.

I'm getting it installed at Ultimate Audio.

They originally quoted me $1,100 but when I told the guy at Hornblasters he put me in touch with another shop, the one in Ocala, and he said he'd do it for $800 (that's including the $460 for the horn kit). I toyed with doing it myself but I don't know how to weld so I gave up on that idea pretty quickly (they weld the horns to the frame).

Last edited by Kaitain; 10-29-2005 at 11:24 AM.
Old 10-29-2005, 03:01 PM
Kaitain

OK, got it installed and of course have my first kill story...

It was the perfect target, a group of young teens waiting to cross the road. Traffic had slowed to around 20mph, even better. As I prepared to smash down the hammer of Thor on their asses I focused on one of their faces.

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!

The look of abject terror on that girl's face was priceless. She twisted her whole body sideways, raising one leg and drawing in her arms and splaying her fingers to provide as much protection to her torso against the train that must surely be within inches of impacting with her unprepared soul.

Her face was a study in agony; one eye closed, one half open dreading what was coming but somehow unable to completely stop looking at it. Her mouth was puckered and showed equal signs of twisting as she screamed out in some primal language long since forgotten to we city dwellers.

That primal terror scream quickly turned to equally felt expletives as this innocent looking 12 year old emerged from the deafening sound field and she realized she had not in fact been moments away from becoming a new color splattered on the front of some escaped freight train but had actually been the butt of a hilarious practical joke!

Oh, here are some pictures of the install:

The front of the car -

The top of the horns -

And the compressor & air tank behind the passenger seat -

Last edited by Kaitain; 10-29-2005 at 03:12 PM.
Old 10-29-2005, 03:36 PM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

That's sick man ...
Old 10-29-2005, 04:23 PM
lil ze

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Kaitain
OK, got it installed and of course have my first kill story...

It was the perfect target, a group of young teens waiting to cross the road. Traffic had slowed to around 20mph, even better. As I prepared to smash down the hammer of Thor on their asses I focused on one of their faces.

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!

The look of abject terror on that girl's face was priceless. She twisted her whole body sideways, raising one leg and drawing in her arms and splaying her fingers to provide as much protection to her torso against the train that must surely be within inches of impacting with her unprepared soul.

Her face was a study in agony; one eye closed, one half open dreading what was coming but somehow unable to completely stop looking at it. Her mouth was puckered and showed equal signs of twisting as she screamed out in some primal language long since forgotten to we city dwellers.

That primal terror scream quickly turned to equally felt expletives as this innocent looking 12 year old emerged from the deafening sound field and she realized she had not in fact been moments away from becoming a new color splattered on the front of some escaped freight train but had actually been the butt of a hilarious practical joke!

Oh, here are some pictures of the install:

The front of the car -

The top of the horns -

And the compressor & air tank behind the passenger seat -
ROFL... I like your sense of humor!
Old 10-29-2005, 05:23 PM
Kaitain

Ok, I'm going to go buy a miniDV camcorder tomorrow morning, I've GOT to get these reactions on film.
Old 10-29-2005, 05:43 PM
Gryphin

LMAO thats pure evil man, Do the horns block airflow to your cooling system? looks like it to me... but hey all for the cost of a good time huh?
Old 10-29-2005, 06:24 PM
Z BOY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

subscribing for the video.
Old 10-30-2005, 12:53 PM
Tackett

subscribing....this could be the beginning of something special.

NEW VIDEOS EVERY WEEK!
Old 10-30-2005, 03:49 PM
r26

you guys are crazy. lol
Old 10-30-2005, 04:01 PM
cessna

Originally Posted by r26
you guys are crazy. lol

Not at all!!! Drive a car/truck with one, and you'll never want to go back!!!
Old 10-31-2005, 06:27 PM
E_Z_HOES

This is why I love MY350Z.com. I'm rolling.....
Old 10-31-2005, 07:29 PM
Santacruzslick
Veteran

haha, subscribing for sure. I want to see videos of this beast. I've seen the ones on hornblasters.com, pure genius. haha
Old 11-01-2005, 06:22 AM
Kaitain

Default Video Uploaded

Ok, I've uploaded my first video. These aren't even the best kills. I'm still learning how to drive, frame and shoot the "subject", and honk the horn all without killing anyone or hitting a lamp poll.

The one guy that chased me down in this video was the best I got on tape. His reaction afterward was even funnier than the immediate reaction; he was screaming and running after me shaking his fist. I wish I could have gotten all that on tape but I was too busy trying to drive.

Streetfire Video Link

FYI: I'm using a Sony DSC-DW7 to record the video. I'm very impressed with its quality so far.

Quick Reply: I'll have to think up some train nickname for my car now...