Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Audio / Video Upgrade Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2002, 06:05 PM
Da Gimp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audio / Video Upgrade Opinions?

Hi, I'm planning on upgrading my stock (non Bose) system asap, and would like any opinions on my planned upgrade.

The sub is going into a 1 square foot cubic sealed enclosure. I'm most worried about the sub drowning out the 6.5" speakers, but it has a remote bass gain control on it, so I should be able to turn it down for listening quality, or turn it up for boom. I know theres better stuff I could do, most notably adding another amp to drive the 6.5s, but I'm trying not to break the bank.

I could get 63.5s all around, but I know those pioneer grills are gonna look sweet behind my head.

Last edited by Da Gimp; 12-31-2002 at 06:08 PM.
Old 01-02-2003, 08:25 AM
onecoolee

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Looks good...

Your install is similar to what I am planning. I have a touring model, so I will be keeping the factory Bose HU, but upgrading everyhting else.

See my other thread for my near future audi/video install plans:
https://my350z.com/forum/showthr...?threadid=15183
Old 01-02-2003, 01:03 PM
ScottC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dont forget tweeters!
Old 01-02-2003, 01:25 PM
onecoolee

Alot of people are installing coax's in the doors and disconnecting the factory tweets, and getting a great, or alot better sounding system over the factory. The factory speakers are pretty crappy, so anything would be an improvement, especially as far as the speakers go. I have always preferred seperates, and will be using MB Quarts RCS216 (6.5" midwoof with 1" tweeter), but I am sure a solid performing set of coax's would sound good, probably not as good as seperates, but better than paper coned cheap-o's, like we got...

I think I read about the Infinity 63.5i's (3 way coax) in these forums, and I heard they sound good in the Z.
Old 01-02-2003, 02:22 PM
GaryM05

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

onecoolee,

Will you be installing your front tweeters in the factory location in the sail panel? I've been considering getting components and installing them in the stock locations, but I'm curious about getting sound imaging problems from the tweeters being so far from the mid-bass/woofers in the door. Is this a valid concern, or is it more 'black magic' cooked up by the gearheads over at caraudioforum.com that most of us mere mortals would never be able to tell the difference in? Any thoughts?

Gary
Old 01-02-2003, 02:57 PM
onecoolee

Default My past experience...

I was a past serious competitor on both the IASCA and USAC circuits, and I have always had good imaging scores in my past competition vehicles. In hte past I used Boston Acoustics Pro series seperates, and they had great imaging, even off plane. I had angled tweeters in the sail panels, and midwoofs in the doors, and they sounded very nice and image VERY well. I don't think its black magic, but does have alot to do with the quality of seperates. A good tweeter and crossover will make an attempt to compensate for off axis response, and should sound good as long as they are somewhat close to the same plane (door mounted woofer and sail panel mounted tweeter). This is the typical configuration for almost all setups today...

My honest feeling is that you can do without the rears altogether, and use a nice set of seperates up front, driven by some good clean power. True audiophiles like to have a nice front soundstage and imaging, unobscured by rear fill.

I hope this helps...
Old 01-03-2003, 09:13 PM
GaryM05

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks onecoolee, that helps a lot. It's good to hear from an expert that the stock component locations are good. I've always used rears for fill, but lately I've experimented with moving the balance up front and I'm finding that I really like the way that sounds. Plus, this means that I can cut out my rear signal and spend my budget for rear replacements on better components up front. Sounds like a winner.

Thanks again.

Gary