Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Getting Sirius...which unit?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2005, 03:32 PM
Act of God

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting Sirius...which unit?

I want to get a unit that I can store in the center nav-cubby hole. Which receiver is the best for that?

Also, what's the difference between the regular receivers and the FM modulator ones? Don't they all go through the FM if you are using a stock non-sattelite stereo?
Old 11-27-2005, 05:26 PM
hondagal

Smile

The Starmate Replay is a nice little unit and should fit in the nav cubby. I have one but have it mounted elsewhere as I have the factory nav. There are a couple of other small units available so depending upon if you're going to need them to be portable, you have several options.

I use an aux-in adapter rather than the FM modulator for the sound as I have the Bose unit with the sat capability.

I'm not clear on what you mean by a regular receiver..a satellite non-portable unit, maybe?. An FM modulator is a secondary unit that you'd use interface (hardwire) into your HU and the Sirius unit would plug into that. There is also the built-in wireless FM modulator from the Sirius portable units and it eliminates the hard-wired FM modulator. If you don't want to mess around with wiring, the wireless modulation may be a good alternative since less wires need to be hidden.

With a stock non-satellite ready HU, the playback options are limited but I've heard that the wireless FM modulators in the newer Sirius units provide a pretty clear sound.

From what I know, the only ways to interface with the HU is either by an aux-in adapter or FM modulation.

Siriusbackstage.com has tons of info and knowledgeable nice folks and may have more in-depth info to peruse for more specific questions too.
Old 11-27-2005, 05:53 PM
Act of God

I was thinking about the starmate replay actually. I just didn't know if I just needed that or if I also had to buy the seperate FM modulator thing.

http://shop.sirius.com/edealinv/serv...dParentID=7871

That's what I wanted to get, I wouldn't need anything else right?
Old 11-28-2005, 12:41 PM
hondagal

Right! You won't need anything else for your car. That little unit has the wireless FM modulator already built into itself. I have it and it's nice...the display is a bit bright though. It doesn't run hot like the earlier models. This one will easily slip into your pocket too if you need to take it anywhere. They have 'em at Circuit City and Best Buy if you want to go play with it a bit before you buy it. The rebate applies to any purchase of the unit whether it be from the sirius store or from a retailer. I liked it so much I bought a second one for a Christmas present.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:58 PM
hondagal

I posted this info in another thread and thought you'd be interested, Act of God. (What a cool name, btw.) It'll save you a few more $$.

I got this in an email from Sirius...an additional 10% off and that's on top of the rebates. Here's the link: http://bm.sirius.com/ajtk/servlet/JJ...1&R=1356099541

It's valid until 11/30.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:07 PM
Act of God

wow $66 bucks, that's hard to beat. I'm on it, thanks bro! I just hope it fits in the cubby

my screen name is my old high school band (Circa 1993-1994), we were "metal"...hahaha. We had songs called "satan", "mutilated pancreas", "spores of malaria" and "****".

good times, definitely miss those days

Last edited by Act of God; 11-28-2005 at 07:11 PM.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:37 AM
TxTitan

Just an FYI before you buy,
Satilite radios that use the FM channel don't sound as good. Basicly it's a digital to analog converter down grading the signal so you can hear it with your system.
Old 11-29-2005, 10:08 AM
Act of God

I don't just want it in the Z though, so I will accept that. I don't drive the Z in the winter, I drive the civic. I was going to get a Sirius headunit but then i'd be confined to that one car. And I don't feel like buying multiple headunits.

can you connect it via aux?
Old 11-29-2005, 11:18 AM
pingrr

Some of the units also offer a relay that plugs into the back of your radio in place of the FM antenna, then the FM antenna plugs into the back of the relay. The sound quality will be much better than an FM modulator bu not quite as good as AUX inputs.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:12 AM
TxTitan

Originally Posted by Act of God
I don't just want it in the Z though, so I will accept that. I don't drive the Z in the winter, I drive the civic. I was going to get a Sirius headunit but then i'd be confined to that one car. And I don't feel like buying multiple headunits.

You can move the unit as long as the head unit on the other vehicle is sirius compatable. Some are brand specific meaning you would need a kenwood head unit in both cars. I believe your on the right path for your specific needs of the player.

Good luck,
Old 11-30-2005, 08:11 AM
hondagal

Yes, you can connect it via aux. If you get a portable Sirius unit, which I recommend for your situation, it doesn't matter whether your HU is Sirius or XM compatible. Your HU will need to have an aux in, though. You will need a cable which does not come with the Sirius unit but can be found easily at Radio Shack. Depending upon your aux in connector plug, you will easily know what cable you'll need.

I'm currently using an aux in adapter on my stock HU.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:38 PM
seabass

the new s50 unit should be out in the next couple of weeks.

S50

SIRIUS satellite radio/MP3/WMA player • stores 50 hours of SIRIUS content and digital music files • accessories for portable use (playback of MP3s, WMAs, and stored SIRIUS content) • car accessories include cradle, mount, DC power adapter, antenna • remote control • rechargeable battery • AC poweradapter
Old 12-02-2005, 11:29 PM
s3fddiZ

anyone using the SIR-PNR or similar to hook up to a LCD head-unit? Im hooking mine up this weekend, just curious on whats people's thoughts are on it.
Old 12-03-2005, 05:55 AM
JRinTXrog

My wife has the Sportster Replayin her Xterra, Not sure if it will go into the cubby but we use the FM modulator and it works great. She loves it. The Sporster has a little bigger display on it than the Starmate. Thats why we got it. Never had a problem with reseption.
Old 12-03-2005, 07:50 AM
Act of God

I just got my starmate in the mail. This thing is tiny, I love it. It has an FM out and Audio slots. I would assume the Audio slot is where I could directly hook it up to AUX inputs on the deck?
Old 12-03-2005, 09:42 AM
jlimquest

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Audiovox PNP 2 receiver w/ PAC AAI-NIS (vast improved sound quality vs. FM Modulator to Digital CD sound quality):

https://my350z.com/forum/audio-and-video/80720-sirius-pnp2-ipod-install-on-z-roadster.html
Attached Thumbnails Getting Sirius...which unit?-dscn0825-medium-.jpg  
Old 12-03-2005, 07:01 PM
hondagal

I just got my starmate in the mail. This thing is tiny, I love it. It has an FM out and Audio slots. I would assume the Audio slot is where I could directly hook it up to AUX inputs on the deck?
Yup, that's what you'd use. See, I told you it would fit.
Old 12-04-2005, 08:40 AM
Act of God

I can't wait to hook up this beeatch. I'll probably hook it up in the civic first since its snow season...hopefully the deck in it has aux in. It's a pioneer DEH 3500 i think, about a year old and "XM ready"....doh!
Old 12-04-2005, 10:23 AM
netminder32

Anyone have luck with the OEM Sirius tuner? Likes?...Dislikes?
Old 12-06-2005, 07:22 PM
Act of God

I rigged up the tuner in my civic since the Z isn't going to be driven much (being that its winter). Love it, love the selection of music too. I disassembled the suction cup device and just drilled the mount right into a flat portion of the dash. Works for me, wires tucked all over the place and I don't give a F.

I will be buying another car kit and having it professionally installed in the Z before spring.

Quick Reply: Getting Sirius...which unit?