Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

stereo system

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 12:11 PM
joseph109783

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stereo system

Im gonna redo the audio system in the car but I want to know if there are any particular speakers that I should use? Also I want to put to subs in the back, one replacing the blose sub now and the other in the pass rear compartment. How possible is this and how much work will it take?
Old 12-02-2005, 02:10 PM
dannichols

front components should be based on your personal preference for sound, price, and willingness to possibly design or buy something to allow the magnets to clear the window when it's lowered. Favorites on this site seem to include Focal, MB Quart, Diamond Audio, CDT, Infiniti, B/A, Alpine, and many others. Check the mounting depth for the ones you narrow down to. Anything over 2.5" will likely be trick to mount. Buying custom pods, building MDF spacers, or fiberglassing a spacer will likely be needed for the midrange. A few good shallow mount speakers are the slimlines by Focal and CDT, MBQ PCE216s, PG Elites, and Diamond Hex. Those sets have shallow depth or smaller magnet size that allows for easier fit. (But they all seem to lack midbass as a tradeoff)

Component tweet location is a choice of in kick panels (angled), in the stock location, or on a braxial arm in front of the mid. Rears are not necessary in many people's opinion but you might want them for rear fill or to overcome some of the road noise. Personally, I like to use the rears crossed over low as added Mid-bass between 100hz and 350hz. It's up to you if you want to use coaxials, Mid-bass, or nothing back there..and whether you want to amplify them from HU or Amp. Decent Front components should be amped by a quality amp (>= 100M RMS per chn @14.4v <1% dist)

Subs in the stock locations are a no-no in my opinion but then I like a lot of bass and run a 12" in the trunk. Up to you but you may be wasting your money and will likely have a lot of rattle unless you are willing to coat the cubby with a ton of dampener.
Old 12-02-2005, 02:26 PM
joseph109783

Originally Posted by dannichols
front components should be based on your personal preference for sound, price, and willingness to possibly design or buy something to allow the magnets to clear the window when it's lowered. Favorites on this site seem to include Focal, MB Quart, Diamond Audio, CDT, Infiniti, B/A, Alpine, and many others. Check the mounting depth for the ones you narrow down to. Anything over 2.5" will likely be trick to mount. Buying custom pods, building MDF spacers, or fiberglassing a spacer will likely be needed for the midrange. A few good shallow mount speakers are the slimlines by Focal and CDT, MBQ PCE216s, PG Elites, and Diamond Hex. Those sets have shallow depth or smaller magnet size that allows for easier fit. (But they all seem to lack midbass as a tradeoff)

Component tweet location is a choice of in kick panels (angled), in the stock location, or on a braxial arm in front of the mid. Rears are not necessary in many people's opinion but you might want them for rear fill or to overcome some of the road noise. Personally, I like to use the rears crossed over low as added Mid-bass between 100hz and 350hz. It's up to you if you want to use coaxials, Mid-bass, or nothing back there..and whether you want to amplify them from HU or Amp. Decent Front components should be amped by a quality amp (>= 100M RMS per chn @14.4v <1% dist)

Subs in the stock locations are a no-no in my opinion but then I like a lot of bass and run a 12" in the trunk. Up to you but you may be wasting your money and will likely have a lot of rattle unless you are willing to coat the cubby with a ton of dampener.
Damn. I thank you for the help, im just gonna print this thread and use that as my stepping stone, you definitely sound like you know your stuff. thanks again.
Old 12-02-2005, 02:37 PM
dannichols

not a prob. You didn't ask anything about Head units, amps, wiring, or soundproofing though! :-)