Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

help please

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 09:43 AM
eez

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help please

so I went to the local car noise and asked for some ideas for a system for a base 350z (no bose). I told them that I want something that sounds clean and has some bass, but I don't care if people can hear it outside the car or coming down the street.

They came up with a system that costs about $3500. Alpine HU, focal utopia in the doors, JL 500/5 amp, 10w6 sub, and a fiberglass enclosure behind the seat where the stock sub would be, if I had a blowz I mean bose stereo. I don't remember what they quoted for the rear, I think focal. I am thinkin I don't need to replace the rear speakers, since they are right behind the seat and are in a crappy location to begin with.

To me it sounds like way too much system. Also, what kind of component speakers would you recommend for someone who likes a flatter sound (I don't really like the tin sound some tweeters produce).

I had another car with polk components I installed and they sounded like crap. I had them connected to a polk amp and a $200 pioneer HU.

any help will be appriciated - thanks
Old 01-12-2006, 09:53 AM
Badfish25

They definetly hooked you up with some of the best speakers out there. the focal utopia's are top of the top of the line....though i've never heard them in person.
I enjoy Elemental designs speakers and amps. Much cheaper than JL and sound just as good. their edi 6500's sound AMAZING, no "tin" sound. Same with their Ov2 series subs, extremely tight and musical.
check em out at edesignaudio.com. buying as a package can save you even more $$$. As far as getting all that stuff installed in your car, talk to the guys you've already talked to, print em out some specs of the subs and components you want and they should be able to tell you if they can do it, I"m not sure what kind of air space they were thinking could be fit behind the drivers seat.
Might want to check out nazar's speaker pods for the components.
Old 01-12-2006, 10:19 AM
eez

about the pods, I have an 06 and they changed the doors around. Do you think they will work on an 06?

Another thought I had for the sub was a single 10 in one of the zenclosure boxes - anybody have an opinion on these boxes.
Old 01-12-2006, 11:43 AM
rotaryrocket7

That's too much. Focal's are great speakers, but for my taste they are too bright. I have Dynaudio's which present a more "realistic" sound to me, but they also require alot of power. 3500 seems pretty steep. Find out what's costing you so much. My guess is the kick panels and sub enclosure are running to high on labor...
Old 01-12-2006, 01:27 PM
mark_wilkins

I guess that's what happens when you don't name your price range.

-- Mark
Old 01-12-2006, 02:20 PM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

acutally, at normal shop retail prices, 3500 for waht he got is pretty normal...depending on whcih alpine deck, and how crazy of a fiberglass install..
not saying its a great deal, but not outreageous for hte stuff he got quoted, you cant compare ebay prices

back to your question at hand:

if you want smooth laid back sound, whcih is definetly the way i like it, try going with Morel. I think a set of morel ovation integra 6" coaxial, bi-amped in the stock door locations, will sound fantastically smooth

and cost about 60 percent as much as the focals at full retail

b

Last edited by 16psibrick; 01-12-2006 at 02:47 PM.
Old 01-12-2006, 07:19 PM
Dream

You probably want a separate amp for your sub, as I think the utopias are meant to handle much more power than the 500.5 will give them and the 10w6 will definitely sound better with a dedicated sub amp. One of the system configurations I'm pricing now has a JL 300.4 for the components (BA Pro60s) and a JL 500.1 for 2 JL 10w3s.

Not sure about how much you got quoted for the utopias, but you may or may not need something that good. Try listening to the Focal 165k2p (Power) line. They're maybe 500-600 cheaper than the utopias, but your ears might not care about the difference.

You might want to consider a separate enclosure for your subs. I've heard varying opinions about how subs sound when you put them in the stock Bose location (even though you have a Base with no Bose).

I'm lazy, so see my thread for the configurations I'm looking into now. The prices are for Maui, so they probably aren't comparable to anything Texas can come up with.
Old 01-13-2006, 04:54 AM
jeremyp111

When putting in a system you need to figure out what you want for sound and what your budget is. Then pick out your components. The front components is one area where you don't want to skimp, but you don't need to spend a small fortune on either. Once you get above a certain level only an audiophile would be able to tell the difference. Unless you plan on entering competitions, save your money.

If you think what they gave you is too much then cut back on some of the parts. Here's a suggested setup that will run you less assuming you stick with the same Alpine HU and fiberglass sub box they suggested.

CDT Audio HD, EF or CL Series Components depending on budget (all series sound amazingly clear and natural)
JL Audio 300/2, 2x150w amp
JL Audio 10W3V2 sub
JL Audio 250/1, 1x250 sub amp
No need for rear speakers.

This setup will save you money but still give you super clear sound and more than enough bass for what you said you want from a system. The CDT Audio components feature some of the softest sounding tweeters I've ever heard which make them very easy to listen to even at high volumes. Some of the other recommendations are also good choices. Boston Acoustics Pro Series, Focal 165k2p, DLS UP6, Morel, Dynaudio, Rainbow, Elemental Design. Just to name a few. You could also upgrade to the same JL Audio 500/1 and 10W6V2 sub they suggested, but the 250/1, 10W3V2 combo will be fine IMO.
Old 01-13-2006, 08:08 AM
mtnimager

Just did this install around 2K, sounds very good to me which is of course all that really matters. Some work to get it done, but overall alot of fun ( with help from my 17 year old ). https://my350z.com/forum/audio-and-video/163288-stereo-install-completed-thanks-to-you-guys.html