Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Car Alarm install prob..pls help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 07:45 PM
350zDCalb
Sponsor
builtZmotors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Alarm install prob..pls help!!!

A very skilled technician friend of mine is installing a viper alarm in my 350z...
He has been having nothing but problems...
The 3 hour job has turned into a several day endeavor...he is doing his best but he is stumped!!!

The unlock mechanism is triggering the rear windshield wiper to slowly crawl against the rear window..he suspects something messes up in the control module (bcm?) these are vin programmed, supposedly, so he can't swap out another very easily to see if that is the fix..He is working on it right now, any ideas? any stories like this in the past? is there a way to reset the control module?

Thanks

TODD
Old 01-23-2006, 08:18 PM
blackg356spd

where did he tag the unlock wires from.... should go into the doors and get the wires and make sure he uses relays....
Old 01-23-2006, 11:32 PM
w8lifter21

Check the install manual of the alarm that you are putting in. Some of DEI's products can do positive and negative door locks without relays.
Old 01-24-2006, 04:29 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

What year is your Z and where did he get the wiring info for the BCM from? I recently took on a project to add an auto door lock module to my Z. I spent a day trying to figure out where to wire it. I had been working from a 2004 service manual, but my Z is a 2005.4. I downloaded the new manual and discovered the wiring for the BCM had totally changed.
Old 01-24-2006, 06:15 AM
GQ 350z

Holy crap! I had this same problem about a year ago when they installed the Cliffard Avant Guard G5 on my Z. Basically, when hitting lock or unlock, the freaking rear windshield wiper moved.

The problem ended up taking a week to fix--a freaking one week install god damn! Unfortunately, when I went to the dealer, they blamed the BCM also (idiots) or possibly the ECM..and said it would run me upwards of $700 to replace.

All I remember is that my friend ended up basically using a bunch of relays, and I no longer have any issues. If I could do it again, I wouldn't have such an elaborate alarm installed on my Z.

Just to mention--Viper is owned by Clifford, which is owned by DEI inc. Case in point these guys have no idea how to install any alarm on the Z (particularly at that time there were no techs that could give us any REAL info). Thus, good luck, I hope they have a better understanding of the Z compared to a year ago.

On the plus side, I have incredible piece of mind post install. Good luck and let me know what happens.

Peace,
Ravi
Old 01-24-2006, 09:06 AM
james840a

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, several days. The best way to connect the door lock/unlock is at the door lock module/switch buttons and Not at the BCM. the trick is getting the wires through the door plug harnus, It took me two days, but i took my time and did it slow. On my viper 791x had to program the unit for double pulse unlock.
Old 01-24-2006, 09:18 AM
THEDUKE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have to go into the doors to get the door locks, not the BCM
Old 01-24-2006, 09:31 PM
350zDCalb
Sponsor
builtZmotors

so, tomorrow morning, going to dealership...the alarm is working perfect, except when i lock/unlock, the rear wiper creaps...any ideas what the dealership will/can do?

GQ 350z: please elaborate on the relays, my installer wired evrything around the bcm, he thinks something may have shorted out on the bcm..any ideas? is there a reset that can be done with the bcm???

thanks
Old 01-24-2006, 09:52 PM
350zDCalb
Sponsor
builtZmotors

Originally Posted by THEDUKE
Have to go into the doors to get the door locks, not the BCM
any pics of where you ran the wires?..to avoid having an extra wire visible when you open the door
Old 01-24-2006, 11:12 PM
imalazeeass

if u take it to the dealer they will almost automatically tell u the bcm is fried and ull have to get a new one. they're 400 btw.
Old 01-25-2006, 06:49 AM
james840a

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 350zDCalb
any pics of where you ran the wires?..to avoid having an extra wire visible when you open the door
Sorry didnt take a picture, But i ran the wires through that door plug and the rubber lum. in the plug i drilled out at the bottom big holes to fit the wires through and then feed it through the black rubber lum. This is the hard part.

They have tutorials about the on alarm installation. 350z - tech dot com, and this wonderful my350z site

Last edited by james840a; 01-25-2006 at 06:52 AM.
Old 01-25-2006, 06:50 AM
350zDCalb
Sponsor
builtZmotors

Originally Posted by imalazeeass
if u take it to the dealer they will almost automatically tell u the bcm is fried and ull have to get a new one. they're 400 btw.
well, my buddy knows the owner of the dealership, so they are checking it as we speak, hopefully that isn't the conclusion, isn't there a reset procedure?

$400!?!?!?!?!? why is everything such a ripoff for this car?!?!??!
Old 01-25-2006, 08:18 AM
dream724Z

I looked at the 2004.0 SM's schematic.
The BCM Pin 59 is the rear wiper's active low control,
and pin 62 is the driver's door switch active low.
Could it be your installer shorted these? Better recheck
all your wiring of the active low relays first. The Dealer's Tech will
happily swap expensive circuits. But that approach can't fix bad addon
wiring and worse since the BCM's output drivers are not and cannot be
fuse protected (anyone know the BCM's output current limit, SWAG is 50ma?)
the new one could also be fried.

Good luck and please post what fixed it.
Old 01-25-2006, 11:37 AM
imalazeeass

i posted this numerous times but what happened to me when i installed my system was that the installer drilled a hole thru the firewall. And well, it rained hard 1 day and i guess water got into the bcm unit causing my windshield wiper to go nuts. They would be on fastest mode (even tho they were off) and changing the speed of them didnt help either. The dealer hit me with the 400 dollar bill. I said wait, let me talk to my installer first. My installer denied it of course, and when i went back to the dealer, and what happened was that my bcm unit dried and it started functioning again. Since then i havent had problems. But yeah, good luck! Dont let the dealer rape u!
Old 01-25-2006, 10:58 PM
808_FairladyZ

WOW, it sounds like you got a big problem on your hands. I don't know if you've already figured out your problem, but the power door lock wires for both doors can be found only in your drivers door. Trust me, i've looked for other simple options and there is none. The wires also needs to be tested using your keys and drivers door lock from the outside. This part of the install was what took me the longest to figure out and even longer running the wires through the door. Other then that, it was as basic an install as a Honda or Toyota install. I don't mean to brag, but it took me 7 hours to complete by myself. I got all of my install tech from Directech.com, but i have access to an account with this company and without one, you cannot use this site.
Old 01-26-2006, 03:59 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

It's not true that you can only access the door lock in the drivers door. I have the KPTechnologies auto door lock module and it ties into the harness near the BCM that is behind the drivers kick panel. Whatever you try to do, you really need the correct service manual for your model year as there are harness differences between the 2003/2004 and the 2004.5/2005 models.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:00 PM
808_FairladyZ

Ok, i don't know anything about KPTechnologies and or what they offer, but if their products work then i guess there's no problem. As for what i stated earlier, it is legtimate info that works if done properly. How much does KPTechnologies interface module cost??? If done through the drivers door, cost is free... minus a little bit of elbow grease.
Old 01-27-2006, 03:55 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

KPTech doesn't really sell an interface module, they sell various modules that perform different functions. Most are in the $50 to $70 range.

Check out their site:
http://www.kptechnologies.net/
Old 01-28-2006, 11:34 AM
KPierson
Banned

The KPtechnologies module Dave is referring to is simply a relay pack with three SPDT relays in it. It can be used to 5 wire the door locks and drive them directly from INSIDE the car. This is mainly to add on an auto lock system.

However, there MAY be a way to use the BCM to controll the door locks, but I have yet to try it, I came across it on the12volt.com, and they linked over to http://www.carsound.com/cgi-bin/UBB_...3;t=002070;p=0. If you are doing an alarm it is a VERY good idea to go to the door to get your lock and unlock wires, because you can get your OEM arm and disarm wires, as well as window up and window down control.

As far as the rear window wiper I believe that the rear window switch is part of the matrix communication to the BCM from the control staulks. I wouldn't think the connection would effect this communication. I would try unplugging the aftermarket alarm and using the OEM keyfob and see if the wiper still creeps. I would also be very cautious about water dripping on to the BCM, as you have broken the waterproof seal between the door and the car. Anyone who has had a G/Z in the rain knows that the doors tend to hold water for a long period of time, and the water now has a path to follow (your new wire) to seep in to the car. Unfortunately, the BCM is directly under the spot where the wires come in from the door.

Also, I would work with the dealership, and get your installer involved. It may be possible to work out a solution that doesn't involve throwing parts at the problem. Just be forwarned, the first thing the dealership will want to do is remove the alarm.
Old 01-28-2006, 10:35 PM
808_FairladyZ

KPierson...you sure know your stuff. Always something new to learn from you. Do you own your own company? Maybe you can send me some intel. material so that i can do some research on your products. If so, send it over to the following postal address.

Wizard Audio & Video
23 C. Pohaku St.
Hilo, Hi 96720
(808)969-4800 Ext#3

Last edited by 808_FairladyZ; 01-28-2006 at 10:37 PM.

Quick Reply: Car Alarm install prob..pls help!!!