Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics
View Poll Results: Are You Satisfied With Your Bose Premium Sound System?
Yes
29.65%
No
70.35%
Voters: 398. You may not vote on this poll

How Many Are Dissatisified With The Bose Premium Sound System?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2003, 08:03 AM
Stinger1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by soonerz
The meeting between BOSE & NISSAN has taken place. The "fix" has been agreed upon and the parts required are supposed to be ordered for production. No details of what is covered in the fix, but at least its a start. They hope to have the TSB out in 8-10 weeks when parts are in stock. I will keep everyone updated as I knwo more. Sorry for no details, but I am just grateful nissan seems to be steping up to the plate.....
That's great news! It confirms what Patty has been telling us all along. It's good to know they are going to come through for us. Now all I need is to find a way to get Nissian to fix the Highway bounce and I'll have the car I was expecting. I do love this car!

Stinger1
Old 06-19-2003, 08:41 AM
mattvols

I just sent the following e-mail to BOSE because I am tired of waiting for this problem to get fixed. I will let you guys know what kind of response I get this time (if I even get one):

As your records will show, I contacted you a very long time ago (probably about 2 months after taking ownership) regarding how bad the BOSE stereo is on my 2003 350Z. You assured me that when a fix it out, you will let me know. Meantime, I e-mailed BOSE about how bad the stereo sucks (probably about 3 months ago). They said they are working with Nissan to come up with a "fix". People, I am getting impatient! How long does it take for a bunch of engineers to solve a problem? I can go to Circuit City with $1300.00 and get a decent sounding system! If you can't come up with a "fix", then why don't you offer to buy back the junk that is installed in my car, go to BOSE for reimbursement for the junk, and send me a check so I can go get a decent sounding system that I paid for? I don't want my car to be out of warranty 3 years later when you come up with a fix! I know that I am not the only one that feels this way because I am a 350Z.com member and can see the mass number of people that are dis-satisfied with BOSE. Please take care of YOUR customers and either come up with a fix, or start dishing out the replacement money to purchase a quality system like Sony, Kenwood, Fosgate, etc. I await your response, and I don't want the general "we are still working on it" response. Thank you for your time.
Old 06-19-2003, 08:58 AM
mattvols

That is good news, Sooners. I would not have sent my e-mail if I saw your post first. However, I will believe it when I see it, so I guess my e-mail won't hurt anything!
Old 06-23-2003, 10:00 AM
ead

I am also not satisfied with the Bose audio system. Put me on your list of dissatisified customers. I have sent numerous emails to Bose of the last couple months on this subject.
Old 06-27-2003, 09:58 AM
mattvols

I have some very disappointing news. I just called 1-800-Nissan-0 to see what this "fix" is all about ( I called because no one ever responded to my e-mail; plus I wanted the MSRP of the Roadster because I thought I might want to buy one)? I spoke to Diana. She said Nissan knows nothing of a "fix" and even denied there is a problem! I mentioned my350z.com and they many dissatisfied owners, and she could have cared less. I also thought I had an open file with Nissan to be contacted when a "fix" happens, and learned that all of my files were closed. Apparently, they just had my complaint on record, closed the file, and brushed it off! Needless to say, I am definitely now could care less about the MSRP is on a Roadster, because I will never buy a Nissan again. I wish I did not even have my 350z, and would sell it if I would not get beat up to bad on a trade! I guess we can all give up on getting this problem fixed. Note to all potential owners: if you think you want a 350Z, don't get the BOSE! You can buy something better for less! Don't let a BOSE ruin the value of your car! I must say Nissan customer service was good to me on another issue, but them ignoring the BOSE problem is ridiculous!
Old 06-27-2003, 10:04 AM
soonerz

Matt,

I'm not surprised that the customer service rep knew nothing about this. As I stated earlier, this has not been officially released. They are waiting until enough parts are obtained. I assure you Nissan knows about all of our complaints as does Bose. As for the no response from the e-mail, I brought that issue up as well and was told that department is going to be "looked at intently to make the improvements that need to be made".

Don't give up yet.

enjoy the ride.....
Old 06-27-2003, 12:15 PM
qirex

Originally posted by mattvols
I have some very disappointing news. I just called 1-800-Nissan-0 to see what this "fix" is all about ( I called because no one ever responded to my e-mail; plus I wanted the MSRP of the Roadster because I thought I might want to buy one)? I spoke to Diana. She said Nissan knows nothing of a "fix" and even denied there is a problem! I mentioned my350z.com and they many dissatisfied owners, and she could have cared less. I also thought I had an open file with Nissan to be contacted when a "fix" happens, and learned that all of my files were closed. Apparently, they just had my complaint on record, closed the file, and brushed it off! Needless to say, I am definitely now could care less about the MSRP is on a Roadster, because I will never buy a Nissan again. I wish I did not even have my 350z, and would sell it if I would not get beat up to bad on a trade! I guess we can all give up on getting this problem fixed. Note to all potential owners: if you think you want a 350Z, don't get the BOSE! You can buy something better for less! Don't let a BOSE ruin the value of your car! I must say Nissan customer service was good to me on another issue, but them ignoring the BOSE problem is ridiculous!
dude relax...its the BOSE is okay. I'm happy with mine. Its a stock stereo - certainly better than the base one. I'm buying a CLK conv for my wife and cruised their message boards. Those guys complain about their stock systems too (although not as bad as us here). I mean what do you expect? That's why the aftermarket scene is so HUGE!! I'm happy with my $36K 350Z and its BOSE. Its better than my prelude's stock system and better than the $1500 I sunk into an aftermarket system with 4x50w power and 200 w into a kicker 10". So I understand if you expected more, but I dunno, I hardly see a *problem* with the system as is. If you want *aftermarket* sound - go get it.

I dont mean to sound like a dick, but hey turn off the stereo and listen to that great Z exhaust note. BTW - my car has 7K miles and it sounds way bettere now than when new, and 2K miles.
Old 06-27-2003, 07:17 PM
fotodad

Originally posted by qirex
dude relax...its the BOSE is okay. I'm happy with mine. Its a stock stereo - certainly better than the base one. I'm buying a CLK conv for my wife and cruised their message boards. Those guys complain about their stock systems too (although not as bad as us here). I mean what do you expect? That's why the aftermarket scene is so HUGE!! I'm happy with my $36K 350Z and its BOSE. Its better than my prelude's stock system and better than the $1500 I sunk into an aftermarket system with 4x50w power and 200 w into a kicker 10". So I understand if you expected more, but I dunno, I hardly see a *problem* with the system as is. If you want *aftermarket* sound - go get it.

I dont mean to sound like a dick, but hey turn off the stereo and listen to that great Z exhaust note. BTW - my car has 7K miles and it sounds way bettere now than when new, and 2K miles.
Ahh, Bose and Nissan and Big Business love people like you who are satisfied, even happy with substandard performance. Once you settle for second best, that's all you're going to get. I for one am not happy with spending a premium price for a high-end sports and getting a low-end sound system. Hey, if you don't mind bending over and taking it with a smile, that's up to you. But many of us out here want/bought what was suppose to be the best, Bose, and got low-end Delco! But that said, I have no one to blame but myself. I should have listened more carefully to the Blose system when I test drove the car. If I had, I may not have bought it!

And what kind of logic is: "...hey turn off the stereo and listen to that great Z exhaust."? Sure the Z sounds fantastic. But turn the stereo off? That's like throwing $500.00 (that's a generous estimate) out the window!

When I heard the car came with Bose, I foolishly, idiotically thought it would be an excellent sounding system. A system which would KEEP me from spending an outrageous amount on after-market. I'll save all of you from kicking me in the ***. Never again will I purchase Bose products. Luckily for Bose they have people like you who are content with substandard. You'll keep them laughing to the bank. I for one think they should go bankrupt, yes, bankrupt, trying to satisfy their loyal customers who only settle for high quality workmanship and sound.

just my 2¢
Old 06-27-2003, 07:43 PM
qirex

Originally posted by fotodad
When I heard the car came with Bose, I foolishly, idiotically thought it would be an excellent sounding system. A system which would KEEP me from spending an outrageous amount on after-market. I'll save all of you from kicking me in the ***. Never again will I purchase Bose products. Luckily for Bose they have people like you who are content with substandard. You'll keep them laughing to the bank. I for one think they should go bankrupt, yes, bankrupt, trying to satisfy their loyal customers who only settle for high quality workmanship and sound.

just my 2¢
Well, like I said, its better than my previous *aftermarket* system....so I'm satisfied. If you were expecting premium sound then I guess you should drop much dollars into your car (btw do you still have a Z?)

The interesting thing is that the Bose system in the G35coupe and sedan is very similar yet those guys arent nearly as vocal. The coupe sounds okay - not as good as the sedan.

Actually now I think of it, I'll admit that the radio sounds terrible, and some Cds (certain genres) dont sound great - but the music that I listen to, sounds great. Crisp, well defined bass and decent midrange power with good spatialization of the highs from the tweets. Sure, at a level of 27+ the amp starts to distort a bit when there's peak in the overall sound, but anything below that level is great. When I have a passenger, I listen MUCH lower ~4-10. Thats when the audiopilot works its magic - unobtrusive yet subtly there. If being happy with what I have makes me an idiot then color me ignorant.
Old 06-28-2003, 04:31 AM
Greg

Default Bose blues

I think the most recent posts get to the heart of the matter; it's not that it is a worthless sound system. It is a wierd sound system in that different inputs sound awful, decent or tasty. But I think the biggest disappointment is that it is supposed to be an upgrade, and was the decision point between models for many.

The combination of leather and an upgraded sound system was how I chose to purchase a Touring model.

We have the Bose upgrade in a new Audi A6, and it is a solid performer, a joy to ride along with. It's not just that we got our hopes up, it's that many of us are familiar with the Bose brand and have been pleased. One of the road test articles suggested this system sounds like the Touring Z drivers are loaded with dryer lint.

The right combination of CD and settings on mine sound great. A weak mix on the CD, or using the radio can be 'way disappointing. The system should sound consistently good, with the settings flat, zeroed out. The system is mediocre. In terms of what I expected when I put my money down, it is a major disappointment, and certainly doesn't merit being called a factory auto sound system upgrade in 2003.

This system's sound quality and having their name on it ought to drive Bose to an equitable resolution, and soon.
Old 06-30-2003, 06:39 AM
thardwick

If you're unhappy with the Bose system, please fill out this form on their website ~~> https://secure-www.bose.com/cgi-bin/...n?country=none

Maybe their response time will speed up if more people contact them! In fact, they are encouraging people to contact them. Here's the response I got:

Hello Travis,

Thank you for contacting us regarding your disappointment with the Bose Music System in your 2003 Nissan 350Z. The current performance level of this system does not meet our corporate standards and we are committed to rectifying the situation.

Please encourage your friends who may be experiencing similar problems to contact us. We will follow-up with you with more information when a plan has been finalized.

We apologize for the inconvenience this situation has caused.

Thank you for choosing Bose Corporation.

Patty Bolack
Consumer Relations Division
-----------------------------------------------------
Bose Corporation
US Telephone: (800)231-2673
International Tel: (508)766-6699
Fax Number: (508)879-2043
Email: http://www.bose.com/contact_us/

Here was my message:

I am one of the many unsatisfied customers who owns a 2003 Nissan 350Z with the upgraded Bose sound system. I have always been a Bose fan and have always thought of Bose as one of the premier stereo manufacturers. I have had great success with your products in the past. However, the sound quality in my new 350Z is not even close to the standards Bose has set for itself. I have heard that you are working on a fix with Nissan and sure hope that this is true. I sincerely hope that those of us who already own the system will have some kind of option for upgrading to a new and (much) improved system. Thank you for listening!
Old 06-30-2003, 09:09 AM
NJZLady

Sorry to perpetuate this arguement, but I feel compelled to put in my 2 cents.

Guys, guys. Let's just think about this. The day you walked into the Nissan dealership were you looking to buy a car or a stereo? I too am very disappointed in the Bose and want a fix. Hopefully it will come. My recourse is to install aftermarket, NOT to get rid of my Z or encourage others not to buy. Good lord! What we should be encouraging is that others should not to buy the Bose or any other Bose product.

The best sound I ever heard was the stock Blaupunkt in my old beat up 1962 VW Bug. If VW were still offering that same brand today, would I consider buying a Bug? NO.

The Z is a CAR not a sound system on wheels.

Enjoy the RIDE and if you want quality sound, then when you get home turn on the tunes.

OK - I'll shut up now.
Old 06-30-2003, 10:03 AM
thardwick

Yeah...put in an aftermarket stereo and have a factory z-car that looks like it has an aftermarket stereo installed!!! Some of us really love the clean look of a factory-installed stereo system. I've owned several cars in the past and I feel like every one of them had a better stereo than the Bose in the Z. Some of them even had a Bose system installed!
Old 06-30-2003, 02:29 PM
apsilon

And some of us don't get a choice on the Bose, it's standard here. And we also pay ~US$55k for the Track so for that premium you'd better believe I'm going to complain about it.
Old 06-30-2003, 06:40 PM
fotodad

Default No valuable response from Blose

Originally posted by thardwick

Maybe their response time will speed up if more people contact them! In fact, they are encouraging people to contact them. Here's the response I got:

Hello Travis,

Thank you for contacting us regarding your disappointment with the Bose Music System in your 2003 Nissan 350Z. The current performance level of this system does not meet our corporate standards and we are committed to rectifying the situation.

Please encourage your friends who may be experiencing similar problems to contact us. We will follow-up with you with more information when a plan has been finalized.

We apologize for the inconvenience this situation has caused.

Thank you for choosing Bose Corporation.

Patty Bolack
Consumer Relations Division
I filled out the form on the Bose site, got the exact response you did, emailed them back, got a form-letter response, emailed them again, got another form-letter response, emailed them again, got a, you guessed it, another form-letter response. Finally I emailed them yet again telling them they win. I give up. But every person I see who even remotely discusses cars or home/auto sound systems with me will vividly hear my disatisfaction with Bose, the company, and Bose the product.
Old 06-30-2003, 08:09 PM
Boomer

Default Bose

Ladies and gentlemen, somewhere in this thread or another thread on this site is a post that says Nissan and Bose have come to an agreement on what will fix the system. That means they have agreed on the money part of this equation. Once that is done, the fix will follow. I can't tell you when, I'm the lucky man who received a new head unit along with the amp replacement and I like the system now. No variable sound adjustment by increases and decreases in ambient sound was included with my new head unit. Yippee! I can turn my own volume control myself, thank you very much and the sound is comparable to the Bose premium sound systems I have now(99 Maxima), and 92 Maxima I owned as well. BTW, the Z is interior is not exactly Carnegie Hall, acoustically speaking, if you haven't noticed.

NJZLady has a valid point, did you buy a rolling sound system or an outstanding sports car? My sound on CDs was never affected by the flawed variable volume control and the radio is a good sounding one, if you can ever find music that is being played, instead of non-stop commercials. If radio is essential to your existence, buy a new head unit w/o the volume critter and skate. Personally, I would subscribe to satellite radio if I were in your shoes, but I'm not, so do what you want.

To my ears, blasted to tinnitis by Rock and Roll, Metal, Blues, Electronica, Classical, etal., the speakers are good car speakers, its the head unit that sucks. Turn it off until the fix is available, or replace it yourself. I am willing to wager, the fix will not satisfy your acute hearing apparatuses(ears), so why not buy now and avoid the extra fuss when it fails again to be your premium system?

Boomer--my opinion, use it or lose it, I don't care.

Last edited by Boomer; 06-30-2003 at 08:13 PM.
Old 06-30-2003, 10:11 PM
z430hp

Default P'd Off

BOSE basicly screwed us. Why the hell didnt the morons at Nissan test the system before selling the car. And probably still selling it with the same crap system?? No, I didn't buy a system on wheels, but I didnt want a radio that gave me a big freakin' headache everytime I listen to it. We have a right to ***** because we all got RIPPED OFF!!!! We were sold a "premium sound system" that sounds worse than any radio I have ever heard. All of you people that want to justify what is happening here or say "Oh, well the CD's sound good" in my opion are just settling. The system sucks. If you disagree then check your ears. BOSE =
Old 07-01-2003, 12:38 AM
Rob Nance

Originally posted by NJZLady
Sorry to perpetuate this arguement, but I feel compelled to put in my 2 cents.

Guys, guys. Let's just think about this. The day you walked into the Nissan dealership were you looking to buy a car or a stereo? I too am very disappointed in the Bose and want a fix. Hopefully it will come. My recourse is to install aftermarket, NOT to get rid of my Z or encourage others not to buy. Good lord! What we should be encouraging is that others should not to buy the Bose or any other Bose product.

The best sound I ever heard was the stock Blaupunkt in my old beat up 1962 VW Bug. If VW were still offering that same brand today, would I consider buying a Bug? NO.

The Z is a CAR not a sound system on wheels.

Enjoy the RIDE and if you want quality sound, then when you get home turn on the tunes.

OK - I'll shut up now.
That is a pretty silly argument.

1) other cars have good sounding factory "premium" sound systems, so your point about rolling soundstage is silly. Other cars can have good sound, and don't need to go home to turn on the tunes, as you put it.

2) I, like someone else mentioned, want the factory look and the no hassle aspect of a stock stereo. Not to mention you can not get an aftermarket 6 disc in dash stereo that I know of. I did custom car stereo isntalls when I was young, at a professional shop, but I have ZERO desire for aftermarket these days.

3) Your comment about your recourse is to install aftermarket is ludicrous. If you bought a refrigerator and the freezer part never got cold enough to freeze anything, would you just go buy a standalone freezer? I sure hope not, if so I don't know why I am even respond to you, lol.
Old 07-01-2003, 05:07 AM
soonerz

Guys and Gals......

NJZlady is right on 1 account, we did not buy a rolling sound system. However, I have to disagree that the cure is to put in aftermarket. I am relying on Bose & Nissan doing the right thing. I have had my Z for 10 months now, so whats another 2 months. It is NOT the worst system installed. Please don't forget early Delco, but it is not a premium system either. Bose knows this and Nissan has acknowledged it. So it is now a waiting game. I am the 1st to admit that the fix will not please everyone. They could put in a $10,00.00 system and not everyone would be pleased. I am just trusting that there will be improvement.
BTW, the INFINITI 5.1 Dolby Digital system in the new chrysler pacifica rocks....
Old 07-01-2003, 05:41 AM
Boomer

Z430hp, Rob, I am not saying your bitches are not legitimate, they are. All I am saying is Nissan/Bose are moving with the glacial slowness one expects of most carmakers these days. If you feel better venting, go ahead, I'm not stopping you. I am trying to suggest alternatives. Wait for the fix or don't, just don't let it ruin your year.

Quick Reply: How Many Are Dissatisified With The Bose Premium Sound System?