Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Ported vs Not Ported

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 06:53 AM
ralphpolanco

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ported vs Not Ported

Just got a 350Z, came with a 12' kicker sub in a custom box and Alpine amp. Bass is there, but not enough for me.

The sub is punctured. I'm going to replace it but I want to get more bass out of replacement. I prefer to keep the the same box.

The reason I ask about ported. I've got a ported box with 2 10's in my van, and boy, talk about deep base.

While I got you guys, the Z still has the stock bose stereo. I was think of canning it but I was told by a intaller that all the bose speakers had to go as well. I really don't want to do that. Cost for one and if I don't have to, then why?

I like deep bass but I don't know the science behind getting there.

Thanks for the help.
Old 01-30-2006, 10:50 AM
LS350Z
Charter Member #56

Bass comes from a variety of sources including:
Sub
Box size
Box Build Quality
Amplifier
Head Unit
Processors
Vehicle design

Typically ported enclosures hit +3db higher then the same sub in a sealed box. The downfalls though typically are faster falloff rates and a 'narrower' frequency band (you've got the port tuning frequency). Ported enclosures typically take up way more space.

IMO ditch the bose head unit will help a ton as well as ensuring the sub you buy next is designed for your size box. Simply measure your internal box volume and I can tell you what subs will do best in it's space.
Old 01-30-2006, 05:46 PM
therock2689

like LS350z said, ported are much louder, but have typicly slower responce, not as accuate sound, and somewhat of teh "power band", but thats mainly a problem with bandpass boxed. And trypicly require about and extra ~.6 cubes.
Sealed are simpler to build, smaller, more accuarate sound. But they do then to fail at reproducing the bottom end. this has been "solved" by poly-fill(u can use poly-fill in a ported but unless u set up chicken wire or something before teh port, it will all fly out) and it "tricks" the sub to think its in a bigger box then it is, atleaste its what they say and i have heard for the most part.
It does depend on teh accusitcs of teh car, but the 350 being a hatchabck, there isnt much beteen u can teh sub, so a sealed should be more then fine, but u can do w/e u want to