Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

integrating lcd screen into cubby hole

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 12:53 AM
evobunny

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by babyit11
this question may have been asked already, but i didn't see it.

do you guys know if i would be able to do this on my 2006 Z?
I would like to add a screen as well
for 06 just get Courtesy's 06 Motorized Nav Door. Will save you lots of trouble and look alot cleaner. no cutting needed. here a thread I started on my install. and here some pics.

here some old pics with out the trim.

More pics along with my Z1 nav. (which Im still waiting for a dash kit)

Old 10-12-2006, 05:34 AM
HyperSprite
Mad Scientist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by minispider
yes it can be done on an '06, did not buy anything just a little dremel and that was it.

[IMG][/IMG]
This is my vote over evobunny's setup, cheap, better sun blockage and far better fit on the 06.

Chris
Old 10-16-2006, 05:27 PM
NIZZMO

no, just a cut about 1/2 inch wide and the screen was slit underneath.
You do have to remove the plastic frame from around the screen, a little fiddleling with it in the cubbyand that's it, the cubby still intact in the back. The rubber mat just have to be cut, so what you see in the pic is just the front piece, a hole in the back for the rca video and power wires and that's it. The door still closes, I secured the monitor with a small plate under the cubby so if won't fall down. It looks perfect. and better yet no $ was spent

I knew this could be done I was just waiting to see it posted here,looks good
I think you should do a write-up and have the Mod's sticky it.

For now can you give a little more Info in detail as to where you cut the 1/2
inch slot ? I was told to cut it out at the top and slide the screen down to the rubber mat Im likeing your info much better.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:13 AM
dragone2717

So what did you have to get to have 2 differant things showing on each screen?
Old 10-17-2006, 09:48 AM
minispider

The Alpine Has 2 Signal Outputs
Old 10-17-2006, 12:57 PM
Acree

I hate to tell you, but Courtesy has their parts marked wrong. NISSAN NEVER MADE A MOTORIZED DOOR FOR 2006! The door on courtesyparts is made for an 03-05 center console. That's why the alignment is horrible.

-Acree
Old 10-17-2006, 05:43 PM
babyit11

Originally Posted by evobunny
for 06 just get Courtesy's 06 Motorized Nav Door. Will save you lots of trouble and look alot cleaner. no cutting needed. here a thread I started on my install. and here some pics.

here some old pics with out the trim.

More pics along with my Z1 nav. (which Im still waiting for a dash kit)

sorry to sound stupid, but who is "Courtesy" i would like to get the oem nav door to make my install look like urs
Old 10-17-2006, 07:08 PM
BPimpin007

the screen is a farenheit, and yes is just a slit about 1/2" wide, the screen sits on the hinges (on top), also you need to dremel the inner upper cover edge so when you close it doesn't hit the top of the screen.

is that a 7" farenheit or 6.5"?

This is a really nice setup...definately what im looking for

Maybe this could become a HOW-TO write up?
Old 10-17-2006, 11:11 PM
evobunny

Originally Posted by Acree
I hate to tell you, but Courtesy has their parts marked wrong. NISSAN NEVER MADE A MOTORIZED DOOR FOR 2006! The door on courtesyparts is made for an 03-05 center console. That's why the alignment is horrible.

-Acree
then can you please tell me why the door cover I order from them is color match for the 06. and not for 03-05.
Old 10-17-2006, 11:13 PM
evobunny

sorry to sound stupid, but who is "Courtesy" i would like to get the oem nav door to make my install look like urs
courtesy nissan. here is link to the site. http://www.courtesyparts.com/Merchan...de=68250-Z3306
Old 10-18-2006, 03:38 AM
minispider

Originally Posted by BPimpin007
is that a 7" farenheit or 6.5"?

This is a really nice setup...definately what im looking for

Maybe this could become a HOW-TO write up?
unfortunately I did not take pics of the work as I was going along, but I can tell you is a very simple mod. The only thing you have to do is take the screen apart to remove the plastic frame, is held by 4 little screws and the cut in the bottom is to allow the bottom of the screen ( about 1/8") to go inside and give you that clearence you need on the top. you can use duct tape to hold it at the bottom (place tape or glue small plate under the cubby so the screen does'n go down) the screen used is a farenheit 7". Also the inner inside cover (the flip cover) top lip must be dremmel about 1/2" to allow it to close and not hit the top of the screen. you won't see any cuts because of the angle when it opens, the screen is secured with a cable tie (the electronic panel)and attached to the outside of the cubby in the back so the screen won't fall during acceleration. Make sure you secure the electronic panel to the screen with velcro since the frame is no longer there to hold them together. The remote sensor must be bent back carefully to allow the screen to fit. Finally use pin stripe black tape
to cover the aluminum edges (do this before final installation) of the screen, and trim the small rubber mat to cover the front and your done! time used doing this, 2 hours with the removing of the dash....happy dremmeling...
Old 10-18-2006, 04:23 PM
NIZZMO

unfortunately I did not take pics of the work as I was going along, but I can tell you is a very simple mod. The only thing you have to do is take the screen apart to remove the plastic frame, is held by 4 little screws and the cut in the bottom is to allow the bottom of the screen ( about 1/8") to go inside and give you that clearence you need on the top. you can use duct tape to hold it at the bottom (place tape or glue small plate under the cubby so the screen does'n go down) the screen used is a farenheit 7". Also the inner inside cover (the flip cover) top lip must be dremmel about 1/2" to allow it to close and not hit the top of the screen. you won't see any cuts because of the angle when it opens, the screen is secured with a cable tie (the electronic panel)and attached to the outside of the cubby in the back so the screen won't fall during acceleration. Make sure you secure the electronic panel to the screen with velcro since the frame is no longer there to hold them together. The remote sensor must be bent back carefully to allow the screen to fit. Finally use pin stripe black tape
to cover the aluminum edges (do this before final installation) of the screen, and trim the small rubber mat to cover the front and your done! time used doing this, 2 hours with the removing of the dash....happy dremmeling...

FYI:This works for the 06 Z but not for the 04/05 I tried doing mine almost
the same way , needless to say I did alot of dremmeling and hacking just
to fit my power acoustik 6.5 and the door with the inner skin removed
still will not close (hits the top of the screen) so I ordered the 03 cubby from performance nissan.

BTW I think this will work on the 04/05 Z if you use a 5.6 inch monitor.
Old 10-18-2006, 04:40 PM
BPimpin007

Very informative. Thank you very much. =)
Old 10-20-2006, 06:03 AM
deluzrider

i also have an 06 where i wanna do this. where do i get these parts

Last edited by deluzrider; 10-20-2006 at 06:07 AM.
Old 10-20-2006, 07:38 AM
HyperSprite
Mad Scientist

Originally Posted by deluzrider
i also have an 06 where i wanna do this. where do i get these parts
It depends on what you want to do, there are two different installs types shown in this thread, both are explained well enough to answer your question.

Chris
Old 10-20-2006, 02:39 PM
babyit11

Originally Posted by evobunny
courtesy nissan. here is link to the site. http://www.courtesyparts.com/Merchan...de=68250-Z3306

WOW, Price:$279.96
i didn't think it would cost that much. i will head down to my local junk yards and see if they have this part
Old 10-20-2006, 03:33 PM
HyperSprite
Mad Scientist

WOW, Price:$279.96
i didn't think it would cost that much. i will head down to my local junk yards and see if they have this part
And that my friend is why I said I liked the version where you just trim the stock cubby, essentially free and you don't have to figure out how to get the motor to operate.

As for if that cubby that courtesy is selling is really for an 06, why don't you ask evobunny for some clear pics in the day time with the door closed and open. I am guessing from what I have seen there is a .5" gap at the bottom of the door when it is closed, there are gaps where the outer section meets up with the sides of the cubby and the front finisher does not fit properly right at the front.

Chris
Old 10-21-2006, 04:10 AM
evobunny

Originally Posted by HyperSprite
And that my friend is why I said I liked the version where you just trim the stock cubby, essentially free and you don't have to figure out how to get the motor to operate.

As for if that cubby that courtesy is selling is really for an 06, why don't you ask evobunny for some clear pics in the day time with the door closed and open. I am guessing from what I have seen there is a .5" gap at the bottom of the door when it is closed, there are gaps where the outer section meets up with the sides of the cubby and the front finisher does not fit properly right at the front.

Chris
sorry never hook up the motor. its not as easy as send power to it. you need to make a chip to have the program to let the door know when to stop when opening and closing. I didnt care for it. just something else to break.
Old 11-01-2006, 02:16 PM
Z_Phantm

yes it can be done on an '06, did not buy anything just a little dremel and that was it.

[IMG][/IMG]

Hey Minispider, what screen did you use for the bottom part where the stock stereo used to be(what do you call that anyways?? hehe). I'm planning to put a screen there but not sure what to get. and yours looked really good. thanks.
Old 11-03-2006, 04:38 PM
minispider

Alpine IVA-WA200...sharp unit and by the way Evobunny you can make your cover open and close with a simple toggle switch. no big deal. just a few connections and your done, it just won't close automaticly but is better than to have it opened at all times.

Quick Reply: integrating lcd screen into cubby hole