Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Advice on new setup...

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 06:27 PM
joekool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on new setup...

Hey guys Martz here from Australia. I have an 03 350Z Roadster. I have done no modifications to my ride thus far. I like the Stock sound system as I am not a big audio head, however I'm annoyed that the bose sound system does not play mp3's. If you look at the pic below, I am thinking of putting a sound unit where the existing one is (red arrow). Are there after market ones that are this big? Also was thinking of putting a screen in the above compartment (green arrow). Is this a feasible task or would I be better off buying a smaller head unit and a screen that comes out to fit in where the deck is now...

Thanks.

Old 03-15-2006, 06:42 PM
bbhiznors

just look for whats called a double din cd player...single din are the slim style ones most companies will make a double din as in which one to go for...im a newb too
Old 03-15-2006, 06:47 PM
guyk

I'm no audiophile either but I have an 05 with a Bose and the longer I have had my car the more it sounds like crap to me - hence why it's in the shop now getting a complete new system (I wont bore you with the details here).

Getting a Double Din Head Unit to fit the existing space is not a problem - there are a few to choose from which have built in 6.5" screens (Eclipse and Kenwood to name two) and you could always get a Single DIN too with a flip out screen (eg Alpine, Clarion etc). Either way you will need a new trim kit but they are easy to obtain too (eg Metra) and not expensive. Most current headunits will allow you to play MP3's or alternatively connect an Ipod in.

Re the Screens for the cubbyhole, there are a few options but I havent seen too many in Australia yet. The Fahrenheit screen seems to be a popular choice in the USA so do a search and you'll find plenty of examples.

Also, my opinion is that to achieve a reasonable upgrade to the Bose system you also need to junk or bypass your stock speakers and amp - therefore it is not as simple as just buying a new headunit.

I hope this brief reply helps.

Where in Australia do you live?
Old 03-15-2006, 10:26 PM
joekool

In Brisbane, yourself? And thanks for your replies, I will do some research...
Old 03-16-2006, 06:07 AM
SungNamZ

Look at the Eclipse AVX2494 or some similar double din unit.

Old 03-16-2006, 07:03 AM
Nazar
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are a bit too far from us, But here is some ideas for you.
http://www.wickedcas.com/gallery/cat...3e378b820ea9b2
Old 03-16-2006, 08:35 AM
z350boy
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am at the same point as you are, however no need to sweat as there are several options available:

Option 1: Double Din (DD) head unit to fit where the Bose unit is. Should need nothing more than a Metra kit and maybe harness wiring to complete. You could keep your stock speakers (WHY??? ) For a video screen the farenheit 7000 fits like a glove (if you use an '03 console)
[U]Option2[U]: As above and change the amp / speakers / subwoofer. Suggestions- amp: ARC AUDIO 4150 / speakers: Dynaudio Mark 240GT 2-way / subwoofer: Image Dynamics IDQ10 { you can just leave the rear speakers in place. With this set-up you won't need them}. For video again use the Farenheit in the cubby slot OR use a pop-up screen (several are available) - you can get a DD or go with a single Din ( then you can add EQ or whatever you want)
[U[Option3[U]: Change the head unit for either a single or double DIN set-up and amps/speakers/subwoofer and video as in option 2.
[U]Option4[U]: Go with a Pioneer AVIC-N2 / N3 / D1 / D2 unit , this will give you a navigation systems as well as CD and receiver and amps etc as above.

There are alot of wiring accessories for the DIY'er, so check these out if you decide to go that way. Check crutchfield.com to compare prices and features. Whatever you do just take your time to decide whic components
are for you. Good Luck!!!
Old 03-17-2006, 04:37 AM
joekool

Is there a double din unit that has an included TV tuner and 6 cd stacker (like the original bose unit)
Old 03-17-2006, 05:17 AM
Nazar
Banned

Originally Posted by joekool
Is there a double din unit that has an included TV tuner and 6 cd stacker (like the original bose unit)
You can add a TV tuner to the Kenwwod units, However I would not spend the extra money. YOu have to remember how bad your reception is at home without cable or satellite, Now imagine driving around... TV reception atleast in our area is horrible with a Mobile TV Antenna. You may get one or two stations clear that's it.

As for 6-cd changer in dash, I don't know of any... Everybody is doing MP-3 Format now built into their Double Din Units... + with the i-pod adapters you really do not need 6-disc in dash...
Old 03-17-2006, 05:28 AM
dmoffitt

Eclipse double-din (such as the 5435) + AV input + tv tuner (if you have to have that functionality). You can also add a changer via the eclipse interface, but with Sirius radio and MP3 cds, why?
Old 03-17-2006, 06:33 AM
SungNamZ

Originally Posted by joekool
If you go with the Eclipse AVX2494 you have a "Music Juke" that allows you to upload 3200 tracks to the 20GB HDD. You no longer carry CD's. Also has CD/DVD/MP3/Memory Stick capability.