Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

how much clearance from door to speaker...

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2006, 01:51 PM
rmesola

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how much clearance from door to speaker...

So i'm installing my speakers in the door using the old speakers as spacer....

I put back the door and ouch... the door panel hits the rubber surround on the speaker....

so I cut out a portion of the door panel that's hidden behind the grill...

Question:

there is literally 2mm space between the rubber surround and the door panel... it's not touching and never will (when off)

is this a problem? I presume the cone will never go further than the rubbrer surround... but will the rubber potentially rub against the door panel...

I can cut out another mm or two, but that's about it...
Old 03-26-2006, 07:45 PM
dream724Z

There is no room to the window, plus the OEM cover is 1/2 plugged up!
Easy fix, splurge with some wicked pods, and pop out the stock grill. Then you have room for just about any 6.5" speaker magnets, athough the grill holder needed to be cut in half to fit my TOL CDT's. Open up the flow and it sounds like a dream!
Old 03-26-2006, 08:35 PM
guyk

What you did sounds Ok - could you make slightly thicker spacers (that's what my installers did for my MB Quarts ; they also angled the spacer slightly for better direction).
Old 03-27-2006, 06:04 AM
03zsmith25

Originally Posted by rmesola
So i'm installing my speakers in the door using the old speakers as spacer....

I put back the door and ouch... the door panel hits the rubber surround on the speaker....

so I cut out a portion of the door panel that's hidden behind the grill...

Question:

there is literally 2mm space between the rubber surround and the door panel... it's not touching and never will (when off)

is this a problem? I presume the cone will never go further than the rubbrer surround... but will the rubber potentially rub against the door panel...

I can cut out another mm or two, but that's about it...
Funny, on my last car I got inifiniti kappa 6.5 3 ways and they would not fit so I cut like you did and got the magnet in. After that, they sounded great but I could not fit my stock covers over the speakers. A real nightmare. Sorry this doesnt help just adding my comments...
Old 03-27-2006, 06:22 AM
dannichols

It's not just the depth of the speaker but also the shape of the magnet that will affect just how far back you can mount the mid without hitting the window. Angling also helps as mentioned above. Have you tried constructing a spacer from a thinner material, like 1" or even 3/4" MDF? Also, you can try moving the hole in the MDF slightly higher and back to center the speaker better in the hole and prevent touching the door panel.
Old 03-27-2006, 06:38 AM
JimRHIT

The speaker cone will move past the edge of the surround. Over time, the rubbing will likely tear the surround and damage the speaker. I suggest remounting them. sorry
Old 03-27-2006, 03:48 PM
rmesola

I basically used the stock speaker as spacer and mounted the infinity's on them... I still have room in back as the speaker is shallow, but I'm curious how everybody else did it without using pods as it seems any speaker will rub against the door....

worst design part... :{
Old 03-27-2006, 03:51 PM
dannichols

Easy, use a thinner spacer. I've tried 4 sets of components and they were all different. One set required the same size spacer as the stock cutout, but with another set I was able to get away with 34" MDF spacer. However, those speakers have only a 2" mount depth.
Old 03-27-2006, 04:09 PM
rmesola

I'm starting to realize that I need to make my own mdf spacers...

that will have to be a few weekends from now...

I've had my parts on hand for a month now, and still no sound.... thought I had it this week... but this just slowed me down...

Thanks for all your inputs...
Old 03-27-2006, 04:43 PM
dannichols

The MDFs are pretty simple to make. Hardest part will be determining what thickness you will need. You can buy an MDF shelf 2X1 or have them cutup a larger sheet into small sections. Use a jigsaw, drill, and sander if you don't have more exp tools. Trace the design using your stock speaker. Use locknuts to hold everything securely.
Old 03-27-2006, 04:54 PM
rmesola

Shouldn't be a problem as I have most of the tools... I just need to dust them off the shelf...

and I'll probably angle them away from the door panels and the window glass....

there's actually a lot of space inside the door panel, just not in the right spot... for a car that obviously will be modded... nissan engineers probably are laughing right now at how they intentionally made it difficult...
Old 03-27-2006, 07:07 PM
dannichols

Your defintiely right on about the panels. From every respect they weren't designed with audio in mind. One last note, regarding angling..a lot of people mention doing this but I found it hard to accomplish. Cross cutting MDF at an Angle requires a compound miter with a very high cutting blade. Most blades won't allow a 7" piece of MDF under them. I considered cutting the MDF piece in two and doing one piece at a time, but still difficult without a really good miter saw. If you are able to do this, most people I've spoken to on this board have said something like 2.5" on one side and 1/4" on the other for larger depth speakers. 1/4" seems a little brittle to me considering MDF but perhaps possible if you cross cut and glue the piece back together.

Good luck
Old 03-27-2006, 07:09 PM
dannichols

One more thing, MDF sucks for holding screws. Take the screws out a few times and the holes will basically be stripped. I found that pre-drilling holes for the screws and then fitting T-nuts on the back of the MDF works REALLY well. You can use a lock washer on top for added strength.
Old 03-27-2006, 07:35 PM
rmesola

thanks for the tip
Old 03-28-2006, 02:44 PM
Nazar
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may want to try these.
http://www.wickedcas.com/gallery/cat....php?cat_id=30
Old 03-28-2006, 07:09 PM
rmesola

I decided to give the stock speaker spacers one good try and carved out a portion of the door panel behind the grill...

basically I thinned out the spacer a bit and remounted the speakers on them... and now i have .5 cm space or even a bit more...

that should be more than enough...

thanks for everybody's suggestion... and for convincing me to redo the work (vs leaving it the way it was)