Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Decided against Aftermarket Navigation.. now need Head Unit

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 07:39 PM
dingobiatch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Decided against Aftermarket Navigation.. now need Head Unit

For a long time I was thinking about throwing down way too much money to get an Eclipse aftemarket navigation system, and I have just decided that it isn't worth it. I still want to get a good head unit though.

So, I need to go out and get a head unit. What brand would you recommend? I was thinking Alpine or Pioneer, I have never purchased a head unit before so I don't know. Are there any specific ones you would recommend?

The main things I need are XM and iPod compatibility. I really want the headunit display and buttons to match the amber color of the dash in my Z. Ideas?

The other thing is, does anyone know if there is a 2006 350z install kit for head units yet?

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...063713,00.html
I found this headunit - Pioneer DEH-P5800MP, 1) is it good and 2) can I change colors? It would match alright I guess (with the red) but amber would be the best.

Last edited by dingobiatch; 04-25-2006 at 12:12 AM.
Old 04-25-2006, 06:28 AM
BlueBoxer

The kit is still not available as of yet, it is supposedly due out mid-May. In terms of decks with a good ipod interface, Alpine seems to of cornered the market on that with their new full speed interface. This interface is also a third of what others cost. Most alpine headunits have multiple illumination with either blue, amber or green buttons. However, some of the high end ones only have blue for some reason or another. Check out Crutchfield, they are offering a free ipod cable, wiring harness and install kit with purchase of certain Alpine HU. A lot of the Alpines only have a two volt pre-out, but according to alot of people really into audio, that feature is over-rated and 2V is just fine for most.

In terms of pure sound quality, I still prefer the Eclipse, but their ipod interface is $120 and I have not seen it in action at any shop as of yet.
Old 04-25-2006, 10:22 PM
dingobiatch

Ah, I can't see anywhere that says whether or not head units have multiple color schemes... this is annoying!

Also, is there something I should be looking for that denotes quality of audio? I'm hoping I won't have to do more than a head unit and MAYBE small sub to get the sound I want (I don't need superb audio or anything).