Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

To Bose or Not To Bose

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 04:47 PM
NC_Future_Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To Bose or Not To Bose

Basically, I’m having a hard time deciding between getting an ‘06 Touring or Enthusiast coupe. The decision comes down to whether I want to get the Touring with the Bose system or save money, get the Enthusiast, and install an aftermarket system.

Here’s the catch, though – I will be leasing the car (I find I have a bad habit of not being able to keep a car for more than 3 years ).

So, if I install a stereo system, I want to keep things as stock as possible so that it will be easier to return things back to factory specs when I trade it in. I’m looking at forgoing a subwoofer (not only because of the lease, but also because I will occasionally need to use the full trunk).

So, if I were to go with just some “drop-in” replacements for speakers and a head unit, what would be my best bet? I’ve heard some people say on here that replacing the rear speakers doesn’t get you much, but I was wondering if there is a way to get the rears to give me a little more bass (which would help in the lack of a sub-woofer). Not sure if I want to do an amp, but would you all recommend one? Budget for the system would kind of be up in the air. I would probably like to keep it all under $1000, but that shouldn’t be too hard without a sub.

And in the end, would I get something much better than the BOSE system?

(P.S. – I apologize for the long post)

Last edited by NC_Future_Z; 04-28-2006 at 04:50 PM.
Old 04-28-2006, 06:25 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The real question is how much of an audiophile are you?

The Bose is great for me, I am pretty casual about listening to CD's. But a true audiophile will not be satisfied at ALL by the bose system.
Old 04-29-2006, 06:03 AM
NC_Future_Z

Hmm, good question...

I don't think I'd consider myself a real audiophile. I mean, I like being able to hear all parts of the music (I listen mostly to rock). Overall, though, I have been able to live with previous stock car stereo systems in the past.

Plus, when I'm in a car I think I sometimes pay too much attention to driving and end up kind of "tuning out" the music that's playing.
Old 04-29-2006, 08:55 AM
BlueBoxer

I did not buy the touring because I knew I would dump out all the stock components in a relatively short period of time. I am able to do my sound system for far less than what the Bose was going to cost me. However, the Bose will sound better than most factory systems you are use to, but not nearly as good as a decent aftermarket stereo. The main question is how important music is to you, you only hear differences when you are listening for them and making comparisons. Ignorance is bliss, you could just buy the touring and never walk into an audio shop.

Also, if you do buy, you can take advantage of a shop like Tweeter that offers free removal for parts you buy and install there. However, everyone here will tell you it is cheaper to buy elsewhere and install yourself.

Good luck
Old 04-29-2006, 09:05 AM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

bose, get the ipod thingy, go on with life,

dont spend money, spend money on something else, wife, kids, more music hhehe
Old 04-29-2006, 09:15 AM
350ztoronto

i'd go without the bose, with the money you can save you'll get a far better aftermarket system like the guy above said, as much as the bose is "OK" when you crank it a bit, it sounds cheesy and weak- not really for a 350z =)
Old 04-29-2006, 11:04 AM
pln2311

I have the BOSE it sucks. Do yourself a favor and go aftermarket.