Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Help picking speakers

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2006, 11:00 PM
Tsyle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help picking speakers

Ok i have searched this entire forum and I couldn't find anything comparing speakers. I went to my local audio shop and I told them i just want better sounding speakers because the stock one SUCKS BAD...

Does anyone have any recommendation? Should i install only front speakers? I currently have everything stock. I will upgrade everything slowly because i don't want to make any unwise decision.

Well here are the questions i have.

1. What are some good speakers around 100-300 range (Fronts) I don't really blast my music that much all the time. Just want some nice clean sound without spending all of my paycheck.

2. Do i really need an amp to run new speakers? I know they will sound better but should i cough up the money and buy an amp at the same time? (I don't want an amp yet because i have no idea where to stick it)

3. Any other recommendations before i go out and look at speakers? (i'm pretty much a newbie...)
Old 05-13-2006, 11:04 PM
hiimwayne

Alot of people over here go for DLS up6. I personally haven't tried them out but for the ones that do have them LOVE em. Yes you'll need an amp to run this speakers.Somebody help me out here because I'm a noobie too at this kind of stuff. I have a set of Infinity mono 610a amp I'm trying to get rid of since I just got a newer more power amp.

Last edited by hiimwayne; 05-13-2006 at 11:06 PM.
Old 05-14-2006, 07:41 AM
bimma78

I've had Boston Acustics in all my cars and loved them.
Old 05-14-2006, 09:38 AM
JimRHIT

You can really make a big difference in the clarity and volume of your stock stereo by upgrading your stock speakers ... how much of an increase depends on your budget.

At $300, I'd recommend a pair of front speakers and a nice four channel amplifier. This setup will net you some better sound as well as prepare you for a future upgrade when you can upgrade the CD player too.

Some decent options for budget speakers include Kenwood, Pioneer, Infinity, Boston and MB Quart. These will all sound better than stock ... but each will have its own highlight and flaw if you listen to them .... your best bet to decide on that is to head to a best buy with some CDs and just listen to em

Amps .... well .. Hifonics, Kenwood and Pioneer all make some good 4-channel amps that will give you much better (and cleaner) power output than the factory CD player ... and will have decent enough power to be used for future upgrades (maybe a small subwoofer).

Installation of front speakers and a new amplifier shouldn't run more that $75-$100 ... and you can save that $$ by doing it yourself if you'd like.

This "starter" system is not going to win you any sound-off competitions .. but it will be a very nice increase in both quantity and quality over stock.

- jim
Old 05-14-2006, 09:46 AM
03zsmith25

Go for Infinity Kappas. I have had several setups with them, and they are terrific. If you are not going to replace your head unit, definitely get an amp. I have had fine luck with just running coaxials off the head unit without an amp. You REALLY need to consider buying a new head unit though, even if it is a cheap one (still better than factory).
Old 05-14-2006, 09:52 AM
03zsmith25

^ oh yea and dont go to your local stereo shop, either. go to carmedia1.com or similar reputable website and pay a little more than half what you would locally
Old 07-13-2006, 09:41 AM
Hoggy

Do you konw if Rockford Fosgate Power T162S 6.5" components will fit behind the original grils?
Old 07-13-2006, 09:42 AM
bmac03z

Originally Posted by bimma78
I've had Boston Acoustics in all my cars and loved them.
Old 07-13-2006, 09:42 AM
sq40

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

cardomain.com has MB Quart stuff on Sale right now. A Nice set of Reference or Premiums will sound great in any car.
Old 07-13-2006, 10:01 AM
JimRHIT

Originally Posted by Hoggy
Do you konw if Rockford Fosgate Power T162S 6.5" components will fit behind the original grils?
Yes, but you will need to buy spacers to mount the speakers properly to clear the window
Old 07-20-2006, 04:18 AM
ProfessorKan

Upgrading speakers without a decent HU is like driving a Ferrari on a dirt road - makes no sense in doing so. With your $300 budget, upgrade to a nice HU and use your stock speakers. Higher wattage HU will make any speaker sound better, regardless of brand.

Your new HU will give you the potential for adding additional amps and subs.
Old 07-20-2006, 06:17 AM
richardho11

Originally Posted by ProfessorKan
Upgrading speakers without a decent HU is like driving a Ferrari on a dirt road - makes no sense in doing so. With your $300 budget, upgrade to a nice HU and use your stock speakers. Higher wattage HU will make any speaker sound better, regardless of brand.

Your new HU will give you the potential for adding additional amps and subs.
I disagree with that statement. I'll bet that if you change out your speakers (keeping the stock HU), it will yield 100% better sound than if you were to change out the head unit and keeping the stock speakers. Maybe you have never taken out the stock bose speakers, tweeters and sub and taken a good look at it? I know that changing the head unit will yield even BETTER sound WITH aftermarket components, but not with just changing out the headunit and keeping the stock speakers in the car.
Old 07-20-2006, 06:21 AM
"Z"orilla

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would go with the FOCAL 165V1's, they are in your price range and have awesome sound quality. You will need an amp. I would also suggest an upgrade to your headunit. Face it, when you start to upgrade your sound system, there really is no "cheap" way to go about it.
Old 07-20-2006, 06:26 AM
michaeljr6

Originally Posted by richardho11
I disagree with that statement. I'll bet that if you change out your speakers (keeping the stock HU), it will yield 100% better sound than if you were to change out the head unit and keeping the stock speakers. Maybe you have never taken out the stock bose speakers, tweeters and sub and taken a good look at it? I know that changing the head unit will yield even BETTER sound WITH aftermarket components, but not with just changing out the headunit and keeping the stock speakers in the car.
+1

bose speakers are horrible, iono why bose is still a company..producing fake sound at a high price..but uhhh 300 to make great sound is kinda hard to work on, expand your budget to umm 600 and you will be more satisfied.
Old 07-20-2006, 07:42 AM
richardho11

Originally Posted by "Z"orilla
I would go with the FOCAL 165V1's, they are in your price range and have awesome sound quality. You will need an amp. I would also suggest an upgrade to your headunit. Face it, when you start to upgrade your sound system, there really is no "cheap" way to go about it.
I couldn't agree more. I had the FOCAL 165V1's in my car and they sounded unreal! The best bang for the buck IMO. I just recently upgraded to the FOCAL K2's in my car (didn't get the K2P's because they had a hard time fitting these in my doors) for better mid bass, and its astonishing! Just blew me away!
Old 07-20-2006, 07:56 AM
"Z"orilla

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by richardho11
I couldn't agree more. I had the FOCAL 165V1's in my car and they sounded unreal! The best bang for the buck IMO. I just recently upgraded to the FOCAL K2's in my car (didn't get the K2P's because they had a hard time fitting these in my doors) for better mid bass, and its astonishing! Just blew me away!
I was torn between the 165V1's and K2's........is the difference that noticeable for the price increase? Before I put my subs in my car, I was impressed with the bass my 6 1/2's produced also. Sound Quality is unreal!
Old 07-20-2006, 08:17 AM
richardho11

Originally Posted by "Z"orilla
I was torn between the 165V1's and K2's........is the difference that noticeable for the price increase? Before I put my subs in my car, I was impressed with the bass my 6 1/2's produced also. Sound Quality is unreal!
Well, I went to Autosound in Sunnyvale, and they had the 165V1's and K2's in the demo room. Running them with the exact same amp and HU, the K2's tweeters were destinctively more crisp! It was like, at first you hear the 165V1's tweeters and they sounded incridible! But then when he switched them to the K2's, I was like WOW!!!! HOLY SMOKES!! So not only does it have better mid bass, but the highs were noticably more clear. I didn't think it would be THAT noticeable, but it was!! Hard to believe I know... thats why you have to go listen to them for yourself. That was when I decided to upgrade. I paid $350 for the 165V1's installed and took them out and paid $650 for the K2's installed. It was almost double the price, but that was about how much better it sounded. Btw, the K2's have a completely different tweeter, they are also bigger in size. I hope this helps!
Old 07-20-2006, 08:28 AM
ARMSTRONGARMS

Im running diamond audio hex's up front and think they soulnd great? anything will sound better than stock.
Old 07-20-2006, 10:05 AM
jdohman

Well you need to ask yourself some questions before you buy speakers. Are you looking for something that will just give you increased volumes and still have the same clarity as the stocks.

or are you more of a critical listner and want more of a SQ foucused system.

If you are just looking for more volume look into the Polk momo products. good sound and TONS of volume. Do a set in the front and a set in the rear you not be unsatisfied.

If you are looking for more of a SQ focused system maybee a good set of Focal 165 CA or a set of the KF's if you can afford them. Very good sound from the stock locations and very very clean and detailed sound.

Either system you will need a amp. Honestly no system is a better system wihtout a amplifier all you will be doing is throwing money down the drain.

-justin
Old 07-20-2006, 12:13 PM
240Zplus110

An audiophile friend of mine told me this a long time ago and I haven't forgotten...

"When you listen to your music, do you listen to the amp or the speakers?, so why spend money on an amp when it is the speakers that you hear?"

Most amps are pretty close in the sound quality they produce.. within audible range. A good set of speakers can make any system sound better.

My advice... listen to a few speakers with the type of music you like and then make a decision.. since it is very subjective.

Quick Reply: Help picking speakers